dBridge- the better bar bridge!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Stefan, Aug 26, 2017.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great new slim design, Dave! What metals can you do? Is your tooling strong enough for Titanium?

2. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Sorry, no titanium or SS yet. I have aluminium, brass, real ebony, ebano (eco-friendly alternative to ebony), and Corian. And anything else interesting that I can find lying around ;)

I may move onwards & upwards to harder metals, but the logistics are complex. If I were manufacturing in batches, I could just outsource machining to a commercial shop. But every dBridge is unique.

3. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    It's not only the perfect intonation that gives you a new playin' experience in the upper registers- honestly, those bridges got an unbelievable tone!

4. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Good luck!

Dave-B likes this.
  6. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great website, Dave! Nice to see Matt Cowe as an endorsee!

Dave-B likes this.
  7. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    It certainly is. I've been following Matt's YouTube channel for a few years, and have learned many Chet licks from watching his excellent videos. It means a lot to me that he likes his new bridge :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    TSims1 and audept like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Dave-B likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Oh no! He's not the guy that first contracted Matt Cowe Disease, is he?

I'm so sorry, I couldn't help it, it was too easy and totally tasteless. I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it uh-huh. I'm tacky, awful and should be flogged. So sorry, so sorry, .gollum, gollum, I'm bad.

:(:(:(

benjwri, Dave-B, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  10. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    For that you get a "Tony" award! :p

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats Dave and good luck!

Dave-B likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good luck Dave. Have you considered creating a generic compensated model?(or maybe two, for wound G or plain)

Dave-B and russmack like this.
  13. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    I think you'd find that any good piano tuner will tell you that 100% perfection just doesn't work.

The instrument is supposed to be well tempered. It has to be adjusted for argumentative frets, strings, valves etc.

And our guitars are notoriously unfriendly to any one-size-fits all solution.

In a perfect world, we'd be able to re-tune every time we have to modulate. Or move up or down the keyboard, frets, tube, or anything.

That includes for all musicians. Slide trombonists, fretless string players and reed players are simply amazing to me.

Just a thought.

Russ

14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Not sure what your point is.

15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I deal with patent trolls in my current job and also my previous job. The trick is to lay low and let a big company walk all over you for a while and then file a counterclaim and seek damages. I've seen several small guys (literally on-man shops) get filthy rich. (Blackberry for example.)

The problem here is that there isn't a lot of money to be made in the first place. IE, if you took all copiers of a bar bridge to court and won, how much could you really recover?

Dave-B and benjwri like this.
  16. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    I doubt I would offer that. Generic models are fine with floating bridge bases, where you can move the bridge around to adjust overall intonation.

Any guitar with a pinned/secured base or drilled bushings (like a Duo Jet) may need a completely different pattern. Angled bridges introduce more variations. It's never ending.

For example, check this dBridge on my Hagstrom Deuce. The saddles have the normal 'S' shape, but are all positioned forwards of the posts - because on this model, the factory drill the post holes long. I definitely needed custom saddle positions on this one.

ebano-modern-deuce.JPG

My existing production method delivers accurate intonation for any guitar - you just need to throw a TOM on, adjust it and send me a picture. I think it's worth that small amount of effort to get a solid bridge that's guaranteed to intonate as you expect first time.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Ricochet, Stefan and Srellim1 like this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ^ You‘ll hear the difference between good and perfect intonation and you’ll get used to it soon! Today my new slimline ebano and aluminum bridges arrived:

F80A779E-1213-4620-962E-5C2C406C960A.jpeg

Thanks Dave!

D82834FB-B00E-41DC-A100-4FF7D2C39E1B.jpeg

This is the new combination for my Guild- ebano dBridge with ebonized rosewood base and used golden Faber thumbwheels.

Waxhead likes this.
  18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    299435A1-A08A-499F-9BD5-60F8810C3E3D.jpeg

My new slimline ebano bridge- perfect intonation, unbelievable clarity and this unique lively tone. Pure Twang!
    Thank‘s a lot Dave!

82ACCA31-08BD-455F-99C0-25AB5F89744D.jpeg

Waxhead, Aymara and TSims1 like this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ve got one en route. Excited to try it...!

Stefan likes this.
  20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘m very curious about your impressions then!

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice