dBridge- the better bar bridge!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Stefan, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    yKcFHmh.jpg

I'm very honored to be the first guitarist who's able to check those new kind of bar bridges made by our member Dave-B. He sends me the uncommon ebano bridge and an aluminum version. Both are prototypes so the final bridges may look different.

IMG_2301.JPG
    Ebano bridge in 9.5", aluminum bridge in 12" radius.

Unbenannt.JPG
    Check those digits ;)

Dave's got the great idea to combine the advantages of a bar bridge with the perfect intonation of a TOM:
    based on the individual aspects from your guitar he's building a unique bridge especially made for you. Please read more details here:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/nbd-bar-bridge-with-perfect-intonation.164274/

He builds a 9.5" radius ebano bridge for my Guild and a 12" radius aluminum bridge for my Hot Rod (based on their individual details). Both bridges are slotted for 10/46 strings.

Part 1: The ebano bridge

IMG_2291.JPG

Ebano bridge

Ebano is a man made material invented by Rocklite with similar or identical features like ebony. It is made from wood but it's pretty hard and tight. This bridge is black like charcoal and it's a featherweight about only 10 grams!
    It fits like a glove on the bridge base of my Guild and it sits close and fat on the thumbwheels, thanks to the plain and bigger bottom of the bridge. It doesn't rock noticeable (but I use bigger thumbwheels on the Guild). The bridge is awesome worked and perfectly slotted, it looks and feels like a piece of art. The radius matches the neck radius of the guitar 1:1.

IMG_2306.JPG

On the Guild

IMG_2308.JPG

• Intonation is spot on. I've made a little mistake by sending the measurements because the floating bridge was a bit disaligned. Anyways:
      E: 100%
      A: 100%
      D: 95%
      G: 90%
      b: 100%
      e: 100%.
      The intonation speaks for itself. The bridge intonates as good as a well adjusted TOM!
      It's self-evident that a well intonating guitar sounds a lot better, no?

• Tone is paramount!
      I always thought a wooden bridge sounds pure jazzy and, hmm, somewhat "matte"- nope! The ebano bridge sounds transparent, open and very, very lively! It adds some warm midrange without cutting high frequencies and it allows the tone to clip in sweet overtones. The Guild is a great sounding guitar but with some icepick heights sometimes (there are some nasty high mids from the Franz pkups that always forced me to roll back the volume a bit): they're gone! There are no sitar tones, no buzz, no nothing but pure tone. I'm deeply in love with this tone.

• Playability is super comfortable, no sharp edges so palm muting is a pleasure.

• Tuning stability is perfect. No matter how hard I use the Guildsby, the guitar stays in tune like it should.
    I'm really impressed. I've played an aluminum Tru Arc, a stainless Compton and of course the stock TOM on my Guild- none of them came close to this bridge. The only aspect that makes me think is the more modern look of this really black piece on an oldskool guitar, but maybe I only have to get used to it. And I'll have to see if the ebano withstands string tension and Bigsby use. But I think so!

The dBridges got an uncommon, innovative look, they are something else, really! No need to tell ya that this bridge stays on my guitar :)

Stay tuned for Part 2 of my dBridges-review next time!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    These look quite different. I'll be interested to see what transpires as they are refined and prepped for the market. Be nice to see some of those hard edges softened and rounded out(comfort is one of the things I like about bar bridges after all). I definitely would want the bright metallic tonal properties though.......aluminum or similar.......not into the "Ebano".......as for the compensated nature of the bridge.......that certainly already exists in the Serpentune etc, but it's always fun to see someone try their hand at fabrication. Enjoy your bridge Stefan.

rob batz and Stefan like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine Stefan...

I am still waiting for my SerpenTune 24.75" scale Lefty low profile custom model for my Orange Blossom Special guitar, ordered before the attempts of bridge manufacturing by Dave-B been known.

I'll see the results with the SerpenTune first... And contact Dave-B to see if further can be done with a custom LH model by him, otherwise.

A+!

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Very interesting ... I would wish me more round outer upper edges though, like on a True-Arc, for optimized palm muting comfort.

j.s.c, ZackyDog and TSims1 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Player three enters the game.

6. ffooky

ffooky Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2012
    London
    Very exciting. No debate that the edges need rounding but this could be a game changer for people with fixed bridge posts.

7. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Bringing a product to market is fun! I'm still selling 2-10 Biggsfix Tuning Stabilizers a week. Still personally hand building each one and still enjoying the time at the workbench.

Dave-B and Stefan like this.
  8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Can't see a reason for rounding any thing, the bridge feels smooth and comfortable.

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    We as gear enthusiasts all benefit from having options. Actually I'd love to make it four...

Stefan likes this.
  10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The difference between the Serpentune and the dBridge is that the latter is a custom built bridge: made to your individual specs, no "one size fits all". The compensation is like a screenshot from your fine adjusted TOM bridge, so to say.

Setzerhotrod and TSims1 like this.
  11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It seems, you don't use palm muting often ;)

12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Nonsense.

13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Fact is round edges are more comfortable for palm muting and the True-Arc is the king in this regard (palm muting comfort). I also lean the heel of my hand on the left outer edge of the bridge, when picking, so sharp edges are a no-go for me.

But when Dave's bridge are custom anyway, I bet it shouldn't be a problem to round the edges on demand, right?

14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Dunno since this is a prototype. But I can't find any disadvantages while palm muting my strings right here right now on the dBridge...

15. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've revised my design to have more comfortable rounded edges:

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 12.42.16.png

16. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    I like the edges. you guys are too soft. tuffin up butter cups.:rolleyes:

Robbie, National19, benjwri and 6 others like this.
  17. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    :D:D:D

18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Nice but unnecessary ;)

19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Better already. :)

Playing guitar(especially at a professional level, and let's be honest.......you want pro's playjng your stuff)is not about being tough. It's about making things as useful and comfortable as possible so the instrument disappears in the hands of the artist, becoming a seamless extension of ones body and hands.

So long story short, YES the little things count. YES the details matter. That is what separates good enough from great after all, and in business.......the DETAILS are what justify cost. One should NEVER have the lazy mentality of "oh it's good enough......", but always be striving towards ways to make things BETTER. I love Compton bridges for two reasons - 1) tone and 2)COMFORT

I am not alone in my feelings on that either. ;)

@Dave-B , you obviously understand that so kudos. :)

Aymara likes this.
  20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Great, but I still miss the round edge on the shorter side, where it's more important for palm muting comfort as on the long side. In your graphic the short side is pretty sharp edged. So the new upper edge curve should go all around in my opinion to make the design perfect.

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice