David Bowie

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Oct 26, 2018.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Here's a confession......I've never listened to Bowie. I've heard the hits, of course, but I've never listened to an album. The things I've heard I've thought were, I dunno, a bit clever clever.

But I'm sure I'm wrong, so can someone educate me? I like stuff that comes from the heart and not the head, in general, so where should I start with Bowie?

2. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    For guitar driven rock and roll, Id recommend Diamond Dogs.

3. Rckt-Brew

Rckt-Brew Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Trabuco Canyon
    I would start at the end. Watch the documentary "David Bowie: The Last Five Years" then listen to The Next Day and Blackstar that were recorded during that time frame. He finished strong.

Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story is also worth watching.

Hydroman likes this.
  4. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I have to admit that I have never chosen to listen to Bowie just heard him in passing. Just not to my taste.

5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    My brother was big into him and played “Aladdin Sane” over and over and I eventually liked most of the tracks.
    “Let’s Dance” captures the spirit of the times for me, not to mention the break for SRV.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Bowie rules. First concert I ever saw was the sound & vision tour in 1990 when I was 8 years old and obsessed.
    The work he did in Berlin with Iggy and Eno is amazing! He produced and co-write Iggy’s first 2 perfect solo records (The Idiot, Lust for Life) and his Berlin Trilogy (Low, Heroes, and The Lodger) kill me to this day.
    The Lodger may be my favorite album he ever made.
    But for straight up Rock n’ Roll, I go with The rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars. That’s my favorite of the Mick Ronson stuff.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    pmac11 and Trash Kidd like this.
  7. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Funny, that's how I came to really like Jethroe Tull. I was one of four students renting a house and one of the guys played "Stand Up" morning, noon and night and eventually I fell in love with the album after initially disliking Tull from their first album "This Was".
    I just never really got into Bowie, perhaps I needed a similar introduction to that 'forced on me' with Tull.
    And perhaps I should take some of the advice offered here and fill another of those gaps in my music appreciation, after all they can't all be wrong... can they?

Queen was another band that I only really took to after their brilliant performence at Live Aid 'forced on me' by the televising of the 'concert'. I definitely need to be pushed with some bands and styles of music.

8. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I love Tin Machine. I had a pretty amazing day the first time I heard Station to Station. Diamond Dogs is probably my favourite.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I had to listen to Bowie at a friend`s house too many times when I was young. He was quite a fan and played Bowie all day long.
    I found that music quite wearisome.
    But not in a Zappa-esque way. (Which I really enjoy for it`s virtuosity.)
    Strange sounding production, sloppy performances. Sounds like everything was done on heavy drugs. That`s my very personal impression.
    When I was a kid Bowie was one of the biggest international stars over here in Germany. I would assert that only Michael Jackson topped his status (ten years later).
    I respect the artist for his impact on popular music but I would really have to force myself to listen to a complete album.

The the only Bowie record I found to be somekind of an enjoyable entrance to his music was the TinMachine album.

10. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    We both thought the same at the same time:).

11. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    You shouldn't start at all. The dude was a child molester and most of his music sucked and he was a terrible actor. That said... best Bowie songs are Under Pressure by Queen wsg Bowie, Ziggy Stardust performed by Bauhaus, Starman performed by Dewey Cox, and maybe Ground Control to Major Tom by Bowie.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have Space Oddity in my truck now, great all the way through.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Funny you bring this up . Today at work somebody mentioned Bowie in a conversation . My reply was .... I miss David Bowie knowing he's no longer with us . But the one I really miss is Glenn Frey
    Two great talents with so much more to offer . Gone from us too soon:(

pmac11 likes this.
  14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You say this like it’s a bad thing!

wildeman and MotorCentaur like this.
  15. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I read dozends of Rock`n Roll biographies and the molral norms of the 50ies through 80ies seemed to be very different by today`s standards in these circles. Besides Bowie: Elvis, Page, Jerry Lee Lewis, most of the 80ies glam Bands... they all were guilty of taking advantage of young fanboy and girl souls.
    The cataloque of morally no-go musical artists would be too big to listen to any music of that decades without feeling bad about all the young girls and boys.
    I do not intend to argue towards any justification for child molesters but: Movie- or rock-stars are erotic fantasies for many young girls and boys. That`s a fact.

MotorCentaur and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    In this case I do not feel comfortable with it.

17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Agreed.
    And also, gimme a break!
    Show me evidence of his conviction of such a crime! Oh there is none? Yeah, thought so.
    Modern moral policing of art from an ethically looser age makes me nauseous. If we’re gonna not listen to artists cuz they were bastards in their personal lives, we wouldn’t be able to listen to anyone!
    John Lennon admitted to smacking both his wives around! Chuck Berry was a sleazy creep too, convicted twice! but he made great music. I never condone this behavior, BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS. Jerry Lee married his 13 year old cousin, but ask his daughter if she has a problem with it! She is alive because of this union. She ain’t an inbred mutant either.
    Humans are flawed creatures. Give someone money and status, they are easily corrupt-able.

18. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Agreed.

19. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Maybe I could be misunderstood. Sorry for that. Music levitiates over its originators.

20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Exactly! I get your point, and it’s right on as far as i’m concerned.

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice