Dave Grohl-Play

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Dave talked about this project recently on Jimmy Kimmel. He played all of the parts for the entire length of the song, the takes were multiple. He said the hardest was the piano--because he doesn't play piano! Very cool, he's one of my favorites and since this is a project to encourage music education, even if you aren't a fan, you have to admit it's pretty awesome. And he plays a Gretsch in it!

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Big Dave fan too!!! Have seen the Foos many times...in small venues only. My friend and I were up at the front of the stage and my friend yelled to Dave in between songs, and threw him a piece of Juicy Fruit gum(Dave used to always chew that kind)....He was like, "thanks man" and popped it in his mouth, then handed him a pick. He really is a cool, down to earth cat!

Flouswa likes this.
  3. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

What a great story, I can see him doing that! He's from the area here originally and he periodically shows up because he still has family here. He did a record store day gig that drew tons of people. Just a good guy.

I haven't seen the Foos yet, but it's on my bucket list. I really wanted to go when they were in Pittsburgh recently because their opening act was The Struts who are another favorite, but it just didn't work out.

larryb likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very cool, thanks for posting.

Flouswa likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That was good , thanks Flo

Flouswa likes this.
  6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    David Grohl is an excellent musician and very talented. One of my faves.
    Cool project since funding for school music programs are disappearing .

Flouswa likes this.
  7. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Dave strikes me as a guy who's just totally thrilled to be alive and grateful to have the life he has. Cool guy.

I love the story about how Tom Petty invited him to joint the Heartbreakers. It was 1994. Stan Lynch had just left the Heartbreakers, and Nirvana had just collapsed in the wake of Kurt Cobain's death. Petty called up Dave Grohl and asked him to join the band. Dave said thanks but no thanks--he was working on demos for the project that would become the first Foo Fighters album, and he wanted to see it through.

Now, think about that for a moment. At this point, Dave was not Dave Grohl, Famous Frontman. He was Dave Grohl, Unemployed Drummer From A Band That Had Been Enormously Successful For About Two Years And Would Never Play Again. He was offered the chance of a lifetime twice: first in Nirvana, and now as a member of one of the biggest and best rock & roll bands of all time. And he turned it down to work on a solo project. As far as I know, up to that point in rock history, no one had ever gone from just being the drummer in a successful band to being a successful frontman in a totally different project. Honestly, who are the other drummers who've become successful frontmen? Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, and Don Henley. Each of them had already been massively famous as a lead vocalist and songwriter (at least on a part-time basis) in their original bands before starting their solo careers. I don't think anyone had ever done what Dave was doing. He had literally no reason to believe he'd succeed. But there he was, turning down Tom Petty. And here he is, 24 years later, still enjoying massive success. Good for him.

Flouswa likes this.
  8. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I just saw the foo fighters in Chicago at Wrigley Field. Great show. Here is a clip from that show

loudnlousy, Flouswa and larryb like this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    It was so cool seeing them in small clubs.....now they play huge stadiums....

I grew up in NJ and was a punk rocker. Back in the early 80's I went to see Black Flag instead of this metal band that was playing at a local roller rink.....that metal band was Metallica....I was such a fool!!!!

Flouswa likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I like Metallica just fine, but I'd say it's at least equally cool that you got to see Black Flag back in the day. Speaking of whom--the singer in my band makes his living as an actor, and I recently got to watch Henry Rollins murder him in a movie. (Thankfully, I have confirmed that our singer is not actually dead.)

Flouswa and larryb like this.
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Here I am next to the man himself.....I am the goob in the red plaid jacket

rol.jpg

loudnlousy, Flouswa and section2 like this.
  12. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Agreed. I have a quote from Dave from a recent interview he did that I think pretty much sums it up. He was talking about how he doesn't do drugs, quit smoking pot and using LSD when he was 20 and has never done cocaine or heroine. "I love music and I love life and to me, survival is the game." I wrote it down, thinking it might make an awesome tattoo (if I ever decide to go for it, or where to put it!)

section2, englishman and larryb like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Great post. Thank you.
    Grohl is a cool musician.

Flouswa likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's cool. A musician plays music, not just one instrument . . .IMO.

Flouswa likes this.