Dang it!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryb, Feb 17, 2020.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I discovered something with my TV Jones Spectra...
    It is sad to say, but this guitar stays in the case and rarely gets played...Why?
    I am just not loving it's thinner neck...and I am also discovering that I prefer rosewood and maple boards to ebony. Needless to say, the guitar is otherwise amazing in every way: Frets, finish, tone, tuning....just a stellar instrument. I can't imagine a custom shop guitar being any better than this beauty....so....I figured I would post it to sell....but then noticed something that I have not noticed before....and I know I checked, when it was delivered less than a year ago.

I felt a...scratch(I prayed) on the neck near the head stock..
    As I further inspected, it looked more and more like a crack directly behind the top of the truss rod. I called my luthier and rushed it over. He reaffirmed my biggest fear, but also told me that because of the grain of the neck and it being maple, it would probably never change or affect anything unless dropped, of course. I never had the truss rod adjusted, or even changed the strings on it, yet somehow the neck got this hairline crack. I honestly dont believe it was sold to me this way, and now I feel like I am stuck with a guitar that was very expensive, and now worth nothing...
    Has anyone ever experienced something like this, and I don't mean a cracked neck from dropping it?

crak1.jpg crak2.jpg crak3.jpg

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Why don't you have him fix it, Larry? There is little physical damage and good luthier could fix it without a mark.

larryb likes this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah...he mentioned sealing it, but my concern was not the repair or the cost as much as not being able to sell it or trade it for what the value was....If it was my favorite guitar, I would just keep it, repair it if needed...and call it a day....but since it hasn't been getting played, I figured I would sell or trade it. Now I don't know what to do

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I'll swap you for a Squier Tele? :)

larryb likes this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Punk:mad::p;)

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    LOL. That's me!

larryb likes this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    That's crazy how you wind up with a neck crack without even doing anything.
    Sorry to hear, but, it's not the end of the world.
    If it were me, I'd probably have it repaired and put it up for sale anyway ( showing the repair, of course). Might not be much of a loss after all..

Sid Nitzerglobin and larryb like this.
  8. That would upset me Actually very much. No matter how much you pamper them, things happen. If some drunk knocked it down, you can blame them and go from there. But when you open the case one day and there it is, well then its shake the head time.

larryb likes this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks man!
    ..and I agree, it is not the end of the world...and I did buy it used....and I probably can still sell or trade without too much of a loss...

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I know...:(

11. Best cause , you can always beat the drunk.

larryb likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Sorry about that Larry:/

you deserve better but I bet it won’t be that bad on resale. It really doesn’t affect playability and someone out there would love to get a little discount for something that will never be seen.

larryb likes this.
  13. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    sorry to hear about this!

If I were you, Id go ahead with the repair, it will probably not too much to sweat it, but at least, its repaired. and then post an ad on it, and post the original cracked photo and the repair, the name of the luthier and repair shop.. sometimes people just want more specifics in cases like this, and the more you provide info, the more they get assured..

My friend did this on his Gibson LP Studio he bought new, (where headstock breaks are very common), and the buyer just called up his luthier (also my luthier) and confirmed the specifics and still bought the guitar and the buyer even texted my friend that the neck has been rock solid.. its been 2 years now..

I really hope you will have a good outcome, just remind yourself that at least, its not a full blown headstock-less Spectra..

larryb likes this.
  14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    That what Teles are for:D

DennisC likes this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks my friend! It is such a fine instrument that it wouldn't break my heart to keep it...I just love the thrill of selling and trading:)
    ...Deserve? I appreciate your kind words....but like Dave Ramsey...I am better than I deserve;)

blueruins likes this.
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks brother, appreciate your kind words!
    My luthier even said, if it bothers me seeing it...put a sticker on it, because it isn't going to break or give me trouble....but, yes....you are right. If I do sell, I will have it repaired first and disclose everything.

17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a bummer, such a beautiful guitar. I can relate on multiple levels with this. I let go of my Vox Virage 2 last year for the sole reason of the neck. It was some kind of D or U with deep shoulders and couldn’t get along with the shape. It was a true heartbreaker as the build from Japan was just as good as my Gretsch and the sound was and absolutely incredible.

BC8DB9D7-10B6-482A-ADA7-663B58EB8BD8.png

Last year I also sold my 125th 6118 due to a slight crack at the heel area. The neck was stable and I disclosed it. It did take a little longer to sell and I took a hit on it. That was a shame because the soft V shape and everything about it was superb. It if weren’t for the possibility of needing a neck reset at some point... I would’ve kept it as my only hollow body Gretsch for the rest of my playing days. It was that good.

I wish you the best with hopefully finding a great replacement that you love to play.

larryb likes this.
  18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thank you my friend!
    Shame about your Anni and Vox....still not sure about what I will do....I already have 3 other amazing electrics, so I may not replace even if I sell.

Thanks again buddy!

Merc likes this.
  19. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Sorry to hear my friend. Even a finish ding drives me nuts. Maybe use a kids band aid and it will make the owie feel better?

First-aid-Bandages-wound-Plaster-Band-Aid.jpg_350x350.jpg

DennisC and larryb like this.
  20. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks brother!:p:p:p;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice