Custom Shop Stratocaster - Back thanks to Jimmie Vaughan

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Gretschmen65, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Picked this CS Strat some years ago but never bonded due to a ridiculous modern C neck profile.
    Didn't see the sense in selling so purchased a new Jimmie Vaughan signature neck
    and installed it. Put the beautiful flamed maple, vintage tint neck into storage.

MIM neck still one of the best around although not as chunky as they were 10 years ago. 20190323_185018.jpg 20190323_185018.jpg 20190323_185041.jpg

Attached Files:

audept, Merc, blueruins and 2 others like this.
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Great looking strat!!

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nice! The JV necks feel great.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  4. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Truth be told it probably looked better with the flamed and vintage tinted original. But, thanks for the encouragement.
    Yes, one of the consistently nice things Fender have kept producing along with the 50s Baja Tele neck which I also have the pleasure of owning.

TSims1, wildeman and Lionpotato like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I needed a neck for my MIM 60th anni strat, the blizzard pearl one, because it had better use as a Japanese longbow. It's in the box and this same neck is on it now. Very nice neck. I have thought about a quick sand and a touch of toner to darken it up like the original but then realized it was just too much work just for the looks.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I like the Modern C. It's interesting that the MIM Modern C is a TAD chunkier than the MIA Modern C. And the Squier Modern C is tiny.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  7. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    The JV neck is killer, good choice.

I have a 2011 JV, and it is one of my favourite strats. I also really like the Mexican-made 50's Classic Player neck, which is also 9.5" with medium jumbo frets and a soft "v" neck. Nothing wrong with Mexi-necks--in fact, I have a 50's Classic Player neck on my CS strat (the CS neck is safely stored away) because I couldn't get used to a 7.25" radius with vintage frets--which is what came with the CS NOS 56' Strat.

new6659 and Gretschmen65 like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    This drives me nuts. Everything Squier is usually more tiny. From string spacing, nut width, to neck profile, and the real cheapies have even less body depth.
    Suits me fine not being a man-squatch sized individual, I just fail to understand Fender's reasoning. Are we supposed to grow out of a Squier, and get a real vintage spec'd Fender? Nothing more detrimental to anyone's chops if going from a 52mm to 56mm string spaced instrument and vice versa.

Gretschmen65 and ruger9 like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Thanks to Leo Fender for making the brilliant decision to use bolt on necks.

thunder58, new6659, audept and 3 others like this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The 72VM thinline I had... the body was definitely thinner and the so was the nut... alot of people say 1/16" nut width shouldn't or doesn't matter, but it did to me... not a fan. I suppose I could GET USED TO IT, but why? When there are awesome MIM and MIA Fenders out there....

Gretschmen65 and Ricochet like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If neck pockets would be consistent in width, shape, and necks in scale and string spacing, that would be a vision of brilliance.
    This is just production streamlining for mass production and assembly purposes, inspired by a decades old T-Ford. And the kicker, it was not used to make a better product, but to enable the use of less skilled workers(keeping cost down).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Gretschmen65 likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sometimes a man has to do what he has to do.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  13. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I've got along with MIA modern C necks in the past which measured about
    .825 at the first fret.
    This CS one is under .820 which will no doubt suit someone else if I ever sell
    It and will get no play wear in storage. :rolleyes:

14. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, how much you want for it? :)

15. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    It's not for sale as the value of the CS Strat with COA, CS case and Fender authentication depends on having that CS badged neck as described in the
    Issued spec for that guitar, as you are no doubt aware. :)

reverb11 likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well yes, but I didn't know whether you cared enough! :)

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  17. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    So, how would you say the MIM 50s Classic Player neck profile compares with the JV in depth? I've never tried one.

reverb11 likes this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That Jimmie Vaughan is a good guy to know on a day like this .... ;) ( he's also one of my favorite players too )

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  19. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    They are pretty similar (I haven't measured), so much so that I don't really notice a difference switching between them. The one difference--for me--that the JV has over the Classic Player neck is that on the JV, the truss rod adjustment is at the neck and not the heel. I'm not quite sure why Fender still makes necks with heel adjustments. I'm in Canada, and need to tweak the rod at least twice a year (thanks to frigid winters and hot, humid summers), and the heel adjustment is a PITA.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice