Custom Shop Redwood Penguin

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by giffenf, Jul 14, 2019 at 12:53 AM.

1. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I went into my local Gretsch emporium (TrueTone Music in Santa Monica) today to pick up a guitar I'd had worked on, and while checking out the technician's handiwork on my guitar, one of the store's owners said "You've gotta check out the Redwood Penguin." Sure enough, I looked up at the Gretsch wall, and there was a beautiful new Masterbuilt Custom Shop Gretsch Redwood Penguin. Made from reclaimed redwood, no relic job here, just Stephen Stern's craftsmanship. Beautiful wood, beautiful appointments, and incredible playability. And of course, that Great Gretsch Sound. Not cheap, tagged at $6,199, but it made me start a-thinkin' how I might find a way to afford it (I haven't figured it out yet). So if one of you beats me to it, I guess I should thank you for all the marital anguish you helped me avoid. But still....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Wow!!!!

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hubba hubba. That looks great. If you love redwood, next time you visit San Francisco, check out the redwood room, a bar paneled with humongous redwood panels.

DannyB and section2 like this.
  4. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    wonderful burl on that one... sell a kidney.

sh4rkbyt3, Lionpotato and section2 like this.
  5. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do like it, but why oh why do they insist on gold hardware on almost everything.

Lionpotato and Waxhead like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The top and headstock veneer look like redwood, the back and neck to me do not look like redwood but I haven't seen a lot of redwood that wasn't figured.

9. gretscher09

gretscher09 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2009
    USA
    Wow, Redwood top! Great look. Back and neck look like the traditional mahogany used on Penguins. And I thought a White Penguin was expensive.

10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  11. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    That is enough to knock your socks off. I could not play it. I would have to just look at it. Is their such a thing as too great a looking guitar ?

sh4rkbyt3 and new6659 like this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Absolutely gorgeous!

I love the look of woodgrain on a guitar, and the more natural, the better. Unfortunately, that look generally comes at a premium, and my budget tends to commands lower than premium - I have champagne taste on a beer budget.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Fabulous guitar. If it were a Jet instead of a penguin I’d be interested a lot. It’d be cheaper then too!

14. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    For people like me that like it? :)

15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Nice. It looks like a heavy finish on the top which may be a good thing. I have a Telebration Redwood Tele that dings just by looking at it.

16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Does Redwood tend to be a softer wood? I have no idea as I’m not blessed for a redwood guitar as of yet.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Redwood is very, very soft.

Merc likes this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Having lived in Humboldt County, I love redwood. And that guitar is just beautiful! If I had the cash, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

giffenf and Merc like this.
  19. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Truetone is a great place to visit!

20. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    TrueTone is a great store! When I was in LA I stopped in just to windowshop lol and it cost me! I'll be back. Great selection and good vibe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice