Custom Jack Plate

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by unknown fan, Sep 17, 2019.

1. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    I'll be installing a wiring harness along with a set of TVJ Setzers in my 5420T and would like to install some sort of custom jack plate. I'm considering grinding down the thickness of a silver dollar, bending it to match the curve of the body and drilling that out to use as a jack plate. I'm not dead set on a coin though and am open to some suggestions for alternative items that would be interesting as well. Help an old guy out with some cool ideas por favor. Thanks!

2. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Actually I think the silver dollar idea is really cool! Go for it!

new6659, benjwri and unknown fan like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  4. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I have a souvenir “flattened” penny from Universal Studios [a giant magic trick]. You may be able do that for real on a railway track. [Living near both of Canada’s main lines, we were told never to do that as kids, or the trains would derail.]

[I’ve just read they get very hot, you have to work to remove them, suggest a shorter train.]

Some coins are minted with holes in them. The first issue of the canadian twonnie, the middle would fall out if you dropped it on the ground.

I have souvenir dollars from Moose Jaw, Winnipeg Jets, Winnipeg’s Centennial. The Mint does a lot of special issue quarters, loonies and 50 cent pieces these days. I remember one with The Musical Ride that may have been one of the first.

There must be untold numbers of special coins out there from sports teams. I recall some from my childhood with famous Old West cowboys.

There was a craze for challenge coins recently.

If guitars are branded with a G, maybe you can make parts out of the branding iron.

Car and motorcycle parts are very cool, especially badges.

I remember seeing quite a few vintage fire and police badges at one antique store.

How about a belt buckle? Buckle, spurs.

I was going to ask if anybody had tried 3D printing a pickguard or picks.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Gregor, unknown fan and section2 like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'd be more worried that the penny would shoot out and hit someone in the brain.

unknown fan likes this.
  6. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Electromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    How about a dog tag? I am thinking of one issued for rabies vaccination or the bone shaped name tags you can get at a pet store.

unknown fan and Hammerhands like this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:. Animal Control Officer Thunder58 approves this thought . Thank you @DougWheeler74 ( If a job comes up in Animal Control , I'll let you know ;) )

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    LOL, they told us that as well. I assure you that I've done it hundreds of times and - hold onto your chair - no trains derailed. Never had a problem getting them off the rails afterwards but they did get a little warm sometimes. They're not NBEARLY as much fun as taping .22 rounds to the rails (not nearly as dangerous as it sounds....no barrel)

Flattening a silver dollar or half dollar with a train just might make for a spiffy plate material!

Fun fact: Railroad workers have things they call "Torpedoes" that are basically sacks of some gunpowder-like explosive. When the train runs over it, it goes BOOM. They put them way down the track from where they're working so they know a train is coming. If that won't derail a train, coins sure won't lol. Some train worker gave me a handful of them and told me to sneak up on the (parked) loco to screw with the Engineer lol. Man was that Engy pissed when he started moving the train and 4 of them went off ROFL

upload_2019-9-18_16-44-47.png

9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Some dude used part of an engraved tray:

[​IMG]

This guy used a piece of a vinyl album:

[​IMG]

Searching for that stuff I came across a spiffy idea for a cheap resonator, so thanks for asking the question!

https://makezine.com/projects/license-plate-guitar/

10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Remember the ones you could get out of a machine? They had one either at the airport or the bus station when I was a kid.

Amazing, here’s my childhood. They were at the bus depot AND the airport. See the Jaycopter.
    http://stripof4.com/NationalVending.html

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    unknown fan likes this.
  11. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Electromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Thanks but no thanks - my Golden Retriever keeps me busy enough without chasing other pooches. As it turns out I have a collection of old dog tags. It was started by my grandfather keeping his and I just added to it over the years. Here is a pic of a few of them.
    Dog Tags 1.png

12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I've got a few myself from dog's I've had in the past . They make a nice keepsake

unknown fan and DougWheeler74 like this.
  13. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Man what a bunch of great ideas! You guys are awesome! My son was in Marine Corps, I might see about fabbing up something out of one of his challenge coins - since he swill be getting the guitar when the old man checks out anyhow - probably sooner.

Henry likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's a great idea. Looks like they can be custom ordered so you can get a design and structure that will look good with screws and input jack in it.

unknown fan likes this.
  15. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Man I dig that tray cutout a lot

Being a dog guy, I really like this idea immensely

new6659 likes this.
  16. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I'm not a veteran but am heavily involved with veterans - you might consider getting his opinion on using a challenge coin. Some won't mean much to him, some might!

thunder58 likes this.
  17. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    I'm going to ask him about it, if I decide to go that way I will buy a second one to mod and use.

18. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The bottom of a military shell casing might work.

Vintage appliance/motor equipment serial number tags might also work.

unknown fan likes this.
  19. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Was considering the base of a 20mm casing for the mod -

20. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Neato idea!

You can buy the blue-tipped "inert rounds" at just about any surplus store.

But it might be a pain to screw in.

unknown fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice