Curious ... are you into trains ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Feb 4, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That last photo reminds me of the GG-1 (huge electric loco) that went out of control and burst thru the wall and floor of Washington DC's Union Station just a couple of days before Eisenhower's 1953 Inauguration. They had the floor rebuilt just in time for the huge throngs of folks that showed up for it. The movie "Silver Streak" was based in part on it.

Alberta_Slim and Henry like this.
  2. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I ride that train every time I visit the Fort.

Trains have loomed large in my life. My earliest Christmas memory is seeing my brother's Marx set laid out on a piece of painted plywood. We played with it for years. It went MIA back in the 1970's and a few years back I found the exact set -- the brightly coloured economy tinplate -- near mint, on eBay. I've picked up a few other minty pieces since then.

I grew up near RR tracks that went through my home town. The CN tower was visible from my kitchen window. At one point it was the tallest building in town. CN = Canadian National Railway.

[​IMG]

We used to play army on the freight cars that used to line the tracks just outside of the switching yards.

I've round tripped from Edmonton to Halifax, as well as Edmonton/Ottawa.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It's just a guess, but I'm getting the distinct impression that this train came in juuuuuust a little hot. :eek:

Alberta_Slim and Henry like this.
  4. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    @Joe90 - I've always loved that building and have fond childhood memories of getting closer and closer to it while driving eastward downtown to do things like Christmas shop at the Bay, or have special occasion dinners at places like the Beachcomber, Caravan Hotel, or Chateau Lacombe. Seriously, what a great place to grow up. :)

Joe90 likes this.