Curious ... are you into trains ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Feb 4, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    One useless Internet point for Wallace and Grommet!

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ah .... yuk ( no , not that into it )

ishtar, Alberta_Slim and Yukimajo like this.
  3. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In the spirit of some other threads we've had lately, what are your favorite train/railroad songs?

"Casey Jones" by the Grateful Dead.
    "City of New Orleans" by Steve Goodman via Arlo Guthrie
    "Orange Blossom Special" by everyone!

new6659, ishtar, stevo and 1 other person like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I see your in Atlanta . Went to a train yard musuem in Atlanta ( my sister is in Suannee ) It was near there . Great photos BTW

ishtar and stevo like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Gee I forgot to mention that my grandson and family have taken rides on several old steam engines... Wow so cool... like going back to a lost era.

ishtar and Alberta_Slim like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The original Good and Plenty ( candy commercial )
    " Charlie says ..... love my good and plenty
    Charlie says .... really rings a bell

ishtar and wabash slim like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks!

Yes, that museum is been pretty cool in the past. Haven't been there in a while.

ishtar and thunder58 like this.
  8. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I am retiring from Amtrak in June after 40 years of service. Started on Conrail as a fireman got furloughed for 6 years, worked as a track man, and signal man. I was sent to engineer school in 1985 and furloughed again after I was promoted. 3months later I was hired on Amtrak and have never been furloughed. I was qualified from Chicago to Pittsburg, Toledo, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, Indianapolis, St.Louis., Valparaiso and the Chicago coach yard. It has been a long strange career. I am glad it is coming to an end.

Merc, new6659, ishtar and 4 others like this.
  9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy, neighbor! Enjoy your retirement.

ishtar likes this.
  10. jtees4

jtees4 Electromatic

Aug 21, 2017
    USA
    I was also born in 1958, so I totally get where you are coming from. I was into trains as a kid, I had a full set up in my attic. It originally was full sized Lionel trains and eventually became an entire HO train layout. But I never became a collector, and I gave up the trains completely at some point. But I never gave up The Beatles or guitars, that will never happen! One of my earliest memories is the JFK funeral, sitting in my Mom's lap on a rocking chair, and her crying. We grew up at a great time IMHO...we saw the old and the new. The old was better IMHO. And thankfully we didn't have cell phones with cameras back in the day either!

new6659, Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    He old friend , GREAT to see ya .....

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m really enjoying this thread.

My parents were of modest means, but my father was resourceful and inventive. When I was 5 years old, he bought a hollow door, painted it green, and laid HO track on it, my first model railroad. I know that we expanded upon it, but I don’t recall the details. I remember some HO slot cars as well and, IIRC, we combined them with the trains. If I ever have the room, I’d like to build a simple layout with trains, and maybe an Aurora slotcar racetrack.

Alberta_Slim, GoLeafsGo and thunder58 like this.
  14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    4X8 sheet of plywood and O gauge for me. Lionel South Shore boxcab engine. Sadly, I saw some of the accessories I had in an antique shop years later. My Dad's best friend had a basement full of O trains and track. Barely enough room left for furnace and laundry. I loved going over there. He also had three steamer trunks full of comic books.

I'd love to do an HO model railroad, but with four cats in the house, it'd be under constant threat.

Purdue's oldest club is the model railroad in the basement of the Union. Has to be well over 80 years old. They inherited a full set of Lionel South Shore cars and engines and have them on a static display.

Alberta_Slim, thunder58 and larryr like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s a wonderful hobby. If I ever do it again, I’m going minimalist; more of an impression than truly realistic scenery.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    My dad and uncle worked on the railroad before I came along. I've always liked trains a lot. And I am totally fascinated by people's model train rigs. The attention to detail is amazing.

Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    When I was about 5 or 6 years old , my uncle Teddy ( no , not Nugent :p ) took me downtown Manhattan to a train museum / shop ....it was closed . He felt so bad , he drove back to The Bronx to his fathers house . And there it was .... it was like a scene from The Addams Family ( minus the head on crash of the locomotives and the dynamite ) That's got to be one of the greatest memories as a kid I hold

Alberta_Slim, larryr and wabash slim like this.
  18. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Y'know, it's not just trains. It's machinery of all sorts. My brother-in-law has a couple of old cars, and a couple of old tractors. He took us to a steam and tractor show years ago. I wasn't planning on enjoying myself too much (not a farm kid), but it was a riot.

There were a couple of old guys, neighbors, in the area near where I lived while in college. They built a large shed that sat on both of their properties that held a pair of steam traction engines. I had to go check them out when I heard the steam whistles.

Lots of us are into old cars and motorcycles (Studebakers and British café racers for me). Tom Hanks collects typewriters. I had a buddy who collected Victrolas and 78RPM and cylinder records. It's all about what speaks to your heart I guess.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  19. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    so here is my ode to train songs recorded a few years ago. I live near some tracks (The Amtak Surfliner tracks mentioned earlier) so I get to hear train whistles throughout the day. This one is about what else, a breakup.

thunder58 likes this.
  20. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    @thunder58 , did you ever frequent the slot car racetrack at 241st Street Marble Hill ? That place was my second home when I was 13-14 years old. How far are you from Otis Elevator and Sing Sing Prison? That was our sat am bike destination from Yonkers. Creepyville it was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice