Curious ... are you into trains ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Feb 4, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I grew up as a kid in the 60's ( born in 1958 ) We didn't have all the electronic gizmos and games or any social media like Gretch-Talk ;) So when I was a kid , we used our imagination to play and pass time . Getting a set of trains as a gift .... MAN OH MAN !! And all our friends had them too . My grandfather worked for New York Central Railroad and retired around 1972 as the station manager of the 125th Station in Harlem . I have a few things like his conductors hat , hat badges , brass shirt buttons , old photos from work and a fire extinguisher from a passenger car . I have such an appreciation for the train and the toy itself , but I'm not a collector . When having " down time " on the road at the P.D. , I often sit by the tracks and marvel and think of the old days and my Grandfather . We're lucky enough to have the only freight train in the county and the area
    FYI - Frank Sinatra had a train collection that was massive . He had one car that had his initials on each side in diamonds ...F.A.S. and Rod Stewart is another fan of trains and Neil Young is also part owner of Lionel Trains . I also once met ( NY Yankees catcher in the hey day ) Yogi Berra's son at the tracks , he was taking pictures of the trains ( looked just like Yogi )
    So tell me , are you into trains .........

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    No...I believe men should stay men and women should stay women....but I am old school.....Oh wait, you said trains..:p

Sorry, didn't mean to "derail" your thread:D;)

3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    In the city last year ..... Miss you Granpa

Attached Files:

ishtar, JHowdy, Alberta_Slim and 2 others like this.
  4. Markkkky

Markkkky Electromatic

Aug 26, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I am very into western history so trains go hand and hand with that.

Alberta_Slim, larryr and thunder58 like this.
  5. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    My Grandaddy was a railroad man...

larryr likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thank you , heartfelt

larryr and Rock Lajoint like this.
  7. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    The world speed record for a steam train of 126mph set in 1937 is still held by the A4 Pacific locomotive ‘Mallard’ manufactured in my home town of Doncaster, England.

In 2013, the UK National Railway museum in York managed to gather together all 6 remaining A4s in all configurations and liveries and I was privileged to see that magnificent display which included ‘Dwight D’ Eisenhower’ loaned from the USA, ‘Dominion Of Canada’ on loan from Canada and Union Of South Africa on loan from Africa.

Attached are 2 pictures, one of all 6 A4s from a railway magazine of the time and a pic of me in front of the front bogey of Union Of South Africa. Driving wheels, 6ft 2 1/2" diameter

I have never been so over-awed to be in the presence of such railway nobility.

6oB.jpg DSC00346.JPG

MKunie, eggvan, Alberta_Slim and 3 others like this.
  8. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Not a big train fan as, being from an Air Force family I have always preferred things with wings but I have always had a soft spot for the Mallard. Don't remember it myself but I'm told that she was actually kept in a siding near RAF Leuchars in Fife, Scotland when I was very young and my dad was stationed there at the start of the 70's.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Only a little. Neil Young is a huge fan and was part of the company that made the first fake whistle noises on model trains.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm a serious train fan. I grew up less than 1/4 mile from three sets of mainline tracks---NY Central, Grand Trunk, and the South Shore (the last surviving electric interurban in the US) We'd go to Chicago on the South Shore often. It still runs down city streets in places. As a kid, there were still steam engines running in daily service.

I got to climb on and check out ex L&N bullet nosed streamliner J611. Got to see it running at speed pulling a matched set of passenger cars. It was sad to realize that I'm 6 months older. 5700 horsepower does create some thunder. Those of you who truly know understand that there is nothing like the sound of a proper steam whistle.

If any of you are near, check out the Illinois Railway Museum in Union. They have a South Shore Little Joe---the largest electric loco ever built. Originally intended for sale to Russia in the early '50s, the Cold War escalated and we kept them here. Indiana's Railroad Museum in Noblesville is very nice, but looking for a new home. There are some nice static displays at the Ford Museum in Dearborn---including a GG-1 electric.

My alma mater, Purdue, has a steam engine as a mascot. The oldest club on campus is the Model Rail Road Club---over 80 years. Purdue donated a 1840s engine to the Indy Children's Museum (who has an impressive toy/model train collection) that was the first engine to climb the steepest grade in the US---6% in Madison IN on the Ohio River.

Hanging on the wall of my den is a large 1940 map of Indiana---showing only the railroads. The Monon Shops here in LaFayette was once one of the largest in the country. Purdue got a bunch of boilermakers from there enrolled in classes so they could play football.The last tracks were taken out of the streets here in the '90s.

I have a question for our British railfans---why don't British steam engines have lights on the front? Do they not run at night? I loved riding the trains when stationed in England---the London Tubes as well. Made much more sense than trying to drive to and around London.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  11. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    They do/did have white 'lamps' at the front but .... why would they need lights (headlights) at the front like the 'Polar Express'? They do not need to see where they are going because they are on tracks fenced in from the rest of the world and need only to be able to recognise the illuminated track-side signals. Trains travelling in the opposite direction are on different tracks.
    I often watched main line trains on the track between London and Edinburgh at one of the level crossings near my home as they thundered through, the A4s with their distinctive whistle were the cream of the crop but they didn't need to whistle for a lowly level crossing. Hurtling through Doncaster station on the way to London was a different matter and then they blew their whistles to let everybody know that a 'streak', as we called the A4s, was on its way through non-stop to London, picking up water via lowered scoops from one-mile long troughs between the rails so as not to need to stop for water. They were truly the greyhounds of the steel tracks, nothing 'big' and 'bully' about them but graceful and simply built for speed by Sir Nigel Gresley.
    See above pics.
    Ah, those were the days.
    At night I dreamed of George Harrison and his Gretsch Country Gentleman.

Alberta_Slim and new6659 like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Love them. We have railroad tracks that run right beyond our back yard. Both Amtrak and commercial run thru. I love the sound and the vibration.
    When I was a kid we had tracks close by too. We spent many days walking the tracks, my friends and I.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Idiots and animals here are often on the tracks at the wrong time. We don't have the totally fenced tracks and blocked crossings that you do there. Idiots routinely try to "beat the train"---with horrid results. Had it happen right in front of me once. The guy actually drove around me. Got hit by an interurban running at nearly 90 MPH.

We had one of those mile long troughs near where I lived. Dad took me down by the tracks and I wound up getting drenched as the train went by. Nice surprise on a hot summer day.

Alberta_Slim, thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I love trains, real and model. We have an awesome train museum in Old Sacramento and the waterfront hasn't changed in like 150 years. Lot's of history in my county.
    I love slot cars too.

15. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    IMG_20190204_153640972.jpg IMG_20190204_153547246.jpg IMG_20190204_153533495.jpg IMG_20190204_153541907.jpg this is a layout nscale that I'm building for my granddaughter . She's only nine months old right now but hopefully by the time she's able to play with it without breaking it I will be done. I grew up two blocks from the Hudson valley rail lines along the Hudson River. We literally spent our youth playing on the tracks and hopping freights. Some of my fondest memories.

The Mallard, one of the most beautiful engines ever built. Thunder58, my dad was a doc, and he practiced at 116th and Park for 30 years. I was riding New York subways at the age of 12 by myself. Can't imagine that in these days.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    MKunie, Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  16. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    You know I never thought about the lack of lights on trains in the UK so had to go looking for the info. It never occurred to me before that a train, particularly a steam train would take so long to stop that anything picked up in the range of the headlight would be mushed under the wheels before anything could be done so the only reason for lights would be in order for others to see the train at long distance where the sound would take longer to reach and in the UK we don't really have those long distances and open, un-fenced lines.

Just goes to show - You learn something every day :D

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  17. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    There were no cars that could keep up with a 100mph+ express train in UK back then and actually being able to see a lunatic doing something stupid is of no value whatsoever when you need a mile and a half to brake to a standstill!!

18. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    usa
    i have a few engines a dozen or so cars and probably a mile of track. 0 gauge from the 50's. hasnt been out of the basement boxes in years. keep saying one day im gonna set it up. but that day hasnt come yet. dont even know if theyll still run, but they r there, waiting.

19. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I've been smitten with the train bug ever since I got my first HO set at around 5 yrs. old. My dad's parents had railroad tracks at the back of their property. I used to run to the back fence and scale to the top to see the trains go by. My mom's parents had trains crossing the road about a block from the house. I'd run out front of their house to see the trains go by. Every time I got a chance to see a good model railroad setup, I'd be there. When my kids were around 6 and 4, I got an N gauge set that was fun, but I never had a permanent place to create the model setup.

Now as a pastor, the idea of model trains makes no sense given the moving issue of pastors. I did get the pleasure of officiating a wedding on the grounds of the Chattanooga Choo Choo, so I got to see a beautiful old train station, engines, various dining and sleeping cars, shops, and model setups. Fun stuff.

I also like to go to Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri with my daughter's family. It's great seeing the trains pass by, the numerous model railroad setups (lots of different gauges). Afterwards we go to the hamburger place where food is delivered to you by train. It's pretty cool!