Curing static electricity crackle in my Jet

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by radd, Nov 8, 2019.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Not a completely uncommon problem with electric guitars. I have a bit more trouble with it than some due to a sunken living room with a concrete floor with a thick carpet where my amps are.

It has been at times a popular discussion on the Tele and Strat sister forums. Generally caused by poor ground connections or needed cavity shielding. Usually the pickguard is the offending item. Many clever solutions I have read there. Rough up the back of the guard, pop a dryer sheet under the guard, shielding paint the cavity or line the cavity with shielding material.

Both my Chinese Gretsch Jets exhibited this behavior, particularly if your hand went across the access cover on the back where the pots are located.

Temporary solution, just wipe the problem area, often the pickguard with a dryer sheet.

My solution, I just cover the back of the offending area with adhesive backed thin copper foil if I’m not going to attempt to track down ground issues.

My EC Strat was horrible with the static, I covered the back of the pickguard with foil and 3 or so years later, still not a peep out of the pickguard

The new Jet, perfectly quiet now.

838F6CC8-19A3-47B0-B8E2-16A5B5C32D50.jpeg B2089A95-0669-43B9-B708-873BB008649C.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Gregor, section2 and thunder58 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Glad it worked out for you

3. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Interesting. Haven't tried that for static but I know the dryer sheet rub works.

I have contemplated getting one of those electrostatic wrist straps used by electronic technicians who work on sensitive cmos circuits.

Can't see why one of those clipped to the bridge or Bigsby wouldn't work.

One day I might try it like your solution.:)

4. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    Try a 50-50% mixture of downey fabric softener and water sprayed on your carpet. Fixes our Church stage for months.

section2 and radd like this.
  5. I place a sheet of aluminum foil under the pickguards of my teles, making sure that the pickguard screws go through the foil. Works great.

radd likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A little shielding goes a long way. Braided coax and foil lined control cavities are the way to go. For as cheap as they were, original Danelectros were the best shielded guitars I've ever seen. The entire control section was in a heavy copper foil box.

swivel, MotorCentaur and radd like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You said it all, @radd : the perfect static electricity conditions are reunited there... :confused:;)

No thick carpet covering floors in my home : wood, stone, tile. Well yes, here and there we have Iranian, Caucasian, Asian carpets, all handmade and pure wool, but it's definetly not a complete covering, far from it.

A+!

radd likes this.
  8. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I was getting static from the pickguard on my G5220 until I used self sticking aluminum duct tape (the type used for ventilation or dryer ducts) covering the entire back of the pickguard and then took a small narrow piece and stuck it on the underside of the existing tape on the pickguard leaving a small extension, replaced the guard and stuck the free end of tape discretely to the bridge pup....voila! No more static. I had tried other suggestions like lightly sanding the back of the PG, rubbing with antistatic sheets, leaving an AS sheet under the PG, etc. The latter only helped for a short time.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Good job

Just to be safe, I had covered the underside of my pickguard with the same adhesive backed copper tape and when reinstalled the copper backed pickguard rests on the neck pickup adjustment screw....how convenient is that.

10. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Should work a treat. I forgot to mention that I was on carpet at the time before I redid the music room.

radd likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

What I like about dealing with the guitar rather than the carpet is the fact that I can play my guitars in any room or any location, carpet or not, and not have a problem.

12. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Right on. I didn't change the carpet because of the static but because we had water in the room last winter and had to redo it anyway.

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice