CS Duo Jet Color, Yay or Nay?!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RocknRollShakeUp, May 13, 2019 at 8:09 PM.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I've never been more conflicted on a color scheme... on one hand I absolutely love this thing, it's real puurty, on the other hand it looks like Sexy Misses Santa's lingerie panties or a 19th century stripper pole of some sort...I'm planning to play it tomorrow.

So what say ye, oh gentlemen of impeccable, or even questionable, taste.. regarding this Doll, all dressed up and painted up like trash, assuming the sound and playability is there, Yay or Nay!?

https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guit...ingerboard-tahitian-coral-relic/9252003546/fe

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 8:22 PM
    db62, section2 and DannyB like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    In a heartbeat. She's beautiful!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

4. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    If I dig it I'm planning to haggle hard, may or may not work.

sh4rkbyt3, thunder58 and DannyB like this.
  5. DannyB

DannyB Electromatic

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    The color is beautiful although the price is a bit steep. If you don't have a problem with the cost I'd say the guitar looks cool!

sh4rkbyt3 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  6. dmunson

dmunson Electromatic

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    You'll learn to like it, probably about the time you pay it off.

7. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yeah the price is a problem!

LOL, yeah well I've saved some salad for such a purchase, but I can only extend to the high 4's, so a deal may not work out anyway.

DannyB likes this.
  8. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I saw it the other days, and I honestly think I just sat and stared at it for 20 minutes. just pouring over the pictures one by one. I need to get rid of a few things before I buy anything new, and I think that one would actually make me do it. it's beauuuuuutiful.

sh4rkbyt3 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I don't like the white headstock, should be the same color as the body. Otherwise it's fine. Not my color, also not a fan of relicing.

The price is high, but that's a standard CS price. One consideration if you plan to take it abroad or sell it out of country, it's a no go because of the Brazilian rosewood fretboard.

Merc, sh4rkbyt3 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yeah I generally prefer a matching headstock too actually...still I am very intrigued by her charms!

Great point about the brazilian rosewood.

11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    It's a stunner to be sure.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It's a real beauty, and you certainly wouldn't show up and a gig where someone has the same guitar. I do agree with Doc that a coral headstock would have been better, but the white isn't a total deal breaker.

13. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Winter Haven, FL
    Love the color and actually like the headstock/body contrast. Price is a not in my league, however if it were, I would jump on it

14. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Hehe for sure! Yeah that’s how I feel about the headstock too.

DannyB and LivingMyDream like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Brings up the question, “Why bother using Brazilian rosewood at all for the fretboard?” It’s been banned for over 25 years at this point and seems a lot more hassle than its worth. Nobody can seriously argue that Indian rosewood doesn’t sound very fine as a fretboard, as it’s pretty much the standard at this point and you can find very striking Indian rosewood that will provide visual appeal. The only reason seems to be a cachet to BR, which allows higher pricing.

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I’ve also never seen Duo Jets done like that before, which is cool from a collecting perspective..although I would be buying it to play the piss out of it.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  17. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Personally I like it FWIW and looking at CS prices it's ballpark so no issue there. I'd make the offer(s) you have in mind and see if they bite? If not right away, at least they know someone who is definitely interested in it and the offer will be on the table for further consideration ;) .

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I can’t disagree at all, well reasoned. I know the dudes in the Les Paul Forum get weak in the knees over their BR fetish, but I really couldn’t care less about it. I guess it is cool from a collectors point of view and the more I think about this guitar the more I wonder if it is possibly aimed at collectors first and foremost..I’m not sure. And to push the price like you said.
    Still if it is a tone machine and I can get it for my budget I’ll definitely consider it. But I have a few other prospects that I’m looking at too.

19. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I like the way you think!

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice