Cricket World Cup

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Some fans think that baseball is like a chess match between managers. It has been said that if you watch a baseball game that ends up with a low score and you think it was boring, then you don't know baseball. I have to confess that I Do Not Know Baseball (ok I know it but I hate it).
    While stationed in England I watched cricket and decided that I'd rather hang myself.

Waxhead likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sounds like a chicken and egg statement. I dont know baseball because it is boring. Theoretically, you could learn the chess match just by knowing the quantitative results rather than watching the game - they even made a movie about it. I dont match baseball movies.

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I know baseball and the modern games are unwatchable. Over 3 hours, endless analytics driven moves, multiple pitching changes and substitutions. Over a quarter of the plays are strikeouts. The sole offensive strategy is to try to hit home runs. Bloody awful.

Armygirl likes this.
  4. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Some cricket matches last five bloody days!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    That's right Martine and the wonderful thing about cricket is that it's the only game that's interesting enough to watch for 5 days.

Those 5 day international Test matches are my favourite forms of cricket.
    The 5 day Test matches attract huge crowds and TV ratings around the world and you're about to get a huge load of it in the UK as Australia play England in 5 Tests starting in 2 weeks. This series is called "The Ashes".

They are fascinating complex tests of tactics, technique, patience and the character of individual players in both nations. Only the strongest and best can survive in this ultimate of sporting tests.

The 2 other forms of international cricket are 1 day games (which was the recent World Cup) and T20 games which take 2-3 hours. I like 1 day games also but have no time for the T20 rubbish. Most true cricket lovers refer to it as pretend cricket - a bastardised simplified form of the game for those who don't understand real cricket :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Armygirl likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There is also more fights over them, :)

7. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Here's an odd thing, I'm no fan of baseball but I do like baseball movies. I really like "The Natural" and even though it is pretty much a chick flick, I liked "For the Love of the Game". I never saw the one baseball fans seem to like "Field of Dreams"

I also really like this bit:

Waxhead likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Field of Dreams is sentimental but good.

Can't forget Major League!

But the greatest of all:

9. AllenK

AllenK Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    UK
    Good but they missed a trick. Same scene relocated to Lords.

"Costello: Well go ahead and tell me!
    Abbott: Who is at Silly Mid-On
    Costello: What are you askin' me for? I'm askin' you, who's at Silly Mid-On?
    Abbott: That's it
    Costello: Well go ahead and tell me
    Abbott: Who
    Costello: The guy at Silly Mid-On
    Abbott: That's it
    Costello: What's the guy's name at Silly Mid-On?
    Abbott: No, What's at Short Fine Leg
    Costello: I'm not askin' you who's at Short Fine Leg!
    Abbott: Who's at Silly Mid-On
    Costello: That's what I'm askin' you! Who's at Silly Mid-On?
    Abbott: Now wait a minute. Don't…don't change the players
    Costello: I'm not changin' nobody! I asked you a simple question. What's the guys' name at Silly Mid-On?
    Abbott: What's the guy's name at Short Fine Leg
    Costello: I'm not askin' you who's at Short Fine Leg!
    Abbott: Who's at Silly Mid-On
    Costello: I don't know
    Abbott: He's at Deep Cover Point. Now we're not talking about him" .... and so on.

You don't necessarily need professional comedians. The matchless commentators from Test Match Special have their moments.

"The inner part of his thigh must have removed a bail"
    "Yes, he just couldn't quite get his leg over"

or the introduction that went along the lines of

"Welcome back from the shipping forecast to our listeners on the Long Wave. You join us at the start of a new over. The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willie".

10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Good call. The most English thing that's ever happened....

Waxhead likes this.
  11. AllenK

AllenK Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    UK
    This was another classic.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Australia's best sport comedians

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    more Roy and HG on cricket

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice