Cracks around jack barrel, what to do?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Yann G, May 22, 2019.

1. Yann G

Yann G Electromatic

May 12, 2019
    europe
    Hello again,

I'm not sure it's the right forum to ask about this, I recently noticed cracks around the jack barrel on my Tennessee Rose (they added a metal plate on the newer Players Edition btw) and I'm wondering what I can do to prevent further damage. I guess it's only the lacquer and the cause is likely 10 years of plugging/unplugging the guitar, I don't remember stepping on the cable. Or is it just something not worth caring about?

Thanks in advance for all input!

0-jack.jpg

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Jack plate ! .... ( just a thought )

Merc, wabash slim and benjwri like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Definitely in your finish. Me? I'd not worry about it. The more "honest" dings and scratches and crazing I have on my guitar, the better. This is the result of how tight the nut is and I dare say it's near impossible to get it tight enough without eventual cracking. It's either getting loose and rattling or you tighten it up and it starts cracking over time.

If you want to prevent further cracking, a plastic or hard rubber washer underneath the nut might dampen the forces as you plug/unplug and prevent it from getting worse.

new6659 likes this.
  4. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can

thunder58 likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I thought of you immediately, Rich!

I'd have your local tech (or you) put in a jack plate. Even if it's just in the lacquer, it's a sign there's stress there. If Gretsch is doing it now, why not follow their lead?

JeffreyLeePierre and thunder58 like this.
  6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    It's laminated ply and therefore unlikely to be full depth. Plate it or leave it, it probably won't matter either way.

Henry and j.s.c like this.
  7. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    That's how rock'n'roll goes... bad education and brutal manners

8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    LOL.... and this was my first thought Jim . Finally we have a guitar company that gets it ...

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thunder58 is spot on. I would install one even now for piece of mind of trying to contain it from getting worse. It would hide a lot of it.

There’s lots of threads on jack plates. I had installed a OEM Gibson nickel plate on my 6118. Exact size as Players Edition and it wasn’t so thick like others that force you to replace your jack. Here’s a thread on it with a picture of mine installed at the end. Super easy home project. I used a razor blade and shave a wooden dowel to fit snuggly in the jack before removing the nut. Otherwise you might end up frustrated trying to fish it out. http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/gibson-jack-plate.184718/

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  10. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    So did I.
    But as @Yann G has not been registered for long, I will quote your mantra:

Merc likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    VINDICATION!!!

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice