Cracked Biscuit on G9201

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by KreepyTeach, Dec 19, 2018.

1. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Hey all, my girlfriend bough t me a sweet new resonator, but on close inspection there is a split at the back of the biscuit. I know they're cheap to replace, but I don't have the tools or patience to slot a new biscuit myself. Would wood glue hold? Or should I return the reso for a whole new one? IMG_20181219_194722.jpg

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Could be fixed with wood glue. The trick might be keeping pressure on the joint while it drys and maintaining a flat bottom.
    If it's new I'd be inclined to return it for a replacement.

KreepyTeach and Floo like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This!

4. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    I'm wondering why the grain is in line with the strings - for stability, it should be oriented 90° to the strings. If it's a new guitar, return it. If it's used, take off the strings, pull out the biscuit and apply glue, put a clamp on it to bring pressure to the crack, another clamp to bring down pressure on a flat surface to keep the bottom flat like tinman said.
    A well made glue-joint is much more rigid than the wood itself, so there is no need to worry.

KreepyTeach likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its just a bad piece of wood, too dry or something. A real National biscuit can be had for 25.00, this is the way to go imo. But why hassle with any of that if you can just get a new guitar;)

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Another thing i'll add is that these guitars don't like to be taken apart and can develop all kinds of buzzes and rattles when you do.
    This i know for a fact.

7. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Thank you for the advice. Went back and got a replacement since it was a new guitar so that is a better option. Happy Holidays!

Tinman46 and Floo like this.
  8. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    I haven't surveyed a lot of these to know, but the same question occurred to me. Is there a correct orientation?

And did the replacement grain go the same direction in the new guitar?

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You would want the grain of that piece running parallel to the strings because the bridge sits on the biscuit perpendicular and would split it for sure if it was with the grain . It is right but just a dry piece of wood that split.

tartanphantom likes this.
  10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    This. exactly.

11. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I had to click on this simply to find out what a “cracked biscuit” was :)

12. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    The British will eat anything.