Coveting pickup paint job (?) from Penguin by Stephen Stern

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by CKC411, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    RE: Gretsch Custom Shop 1955 Penguin Surf Green w/Tortoise Binding Masterbuilt by Stephen Stern

Are the pickups on these custom Penguins available anywhere or only through ordering the full custom guitar? Painted Pickups.jpg
    I would love some feedback on creating something with this look. I love the look of my Gretsch and have probably already gone overboard on my additions, but I think these pickups need to be on my Surf Green Gretsch. Any help, as always, much appreciative. -- Craig

new6659 and Lionpotato like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nice touch by the Custom Shop. Pricey, tho.

CKC411 and Lionpotato like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like. There have been a couple gretsches with colored plastic pickup tops, I remember a red one. I'm surprised they don't do it more, that plastic cant be very expensive.

CKC411 likes this.
  4. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    MINT!

CKC411 likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Me no likes.

CKC411 likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I prefer standard black. Actual green plastic would be better but I bet he’s likely painting it because the color matches perfect. I know from a tour that they did at the custom shop that the custom color sparkle Jets are usually color sprayed over the silver jet top. So I just suspect painting tricks but could be wrong.

CKC411 likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Paint them. Pull the set, remove the magnets, tape off the chrome or if ambitious pull them out of the covers. Use a durable clear coat, save a can for touch ups.

CKC411, wabash slim and Merc like this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    ...as BorederRadio said. That`s the route to go.

CKC411 likes this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Gretsch did white pickup inserts for the Filtertrons on the 6134TDV-LTD15 Broadway Jade Penguin.
    6134TDC-LTD15 006.JPG

Henry, CKC411, larryb and 1 other person like this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I Like!

CKC411 and audept like this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's work! And wouldn't it be hard to match the color? I guess paint matching is better these days.

CKC411 likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh yeah, it’s work alright. I’ve matched Ice Metallic Blue at the local auto paint shop—all was perfect except the flake size. Found the ancient Ford paint codes and the guy was helpful, mixed up the cans after we got it right. There are some surf greens out there that can get close to what FMIC uses, but try matching stock paint jobs with custom dyed plastic. That’s over the line and over budget for me.

Also, about the paint job. Stuff the magnet holes with something to prevent runs. You’ll need primer for a color like surf green. IIRC, TVJ can make you some white plastic T-As. Those Guild-style T-As look sharp on surf G without the hassle.

CKC411, Merc and Henry like this.
  13. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    You noticed that, too, huh? That is why I am trying to create a "poor man's version" while still respecting the brand. Only Gretsch parts on my surfer girl.

14. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    That is why they make so many guitars and accessories and why so many players choose to mod their instruments to make them unique and even more special. AT least that is why I do it. Plus, it is fun and actually quite calming and peaceful a process, most of... much of the... some of... on the rare occasion I do not need power tools.

15. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    I kinda like that. Thanks. You ever see them for sale?

16. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    I think this might be worth a try. The way, way, way, down side would be screwing it up so much, I have to buy two new pick-ups. While a likely scenario is it ends up looking good from a distance... maybe from a very far, far away kind of distance. If I manage to sack up, I will most certainly post pics. I'm not sure how much peril I want to place one of my favorite guitars in.

17. afire

afire Country Gent

Doing it on a FilterTron would be a million times easier. The insert is just a thin piece of plastic with 12 holed drilled in it. You can take it off, replace it with a different color, or paint it with no fuss or muss of masking, blah, blah, blah.

CKC411 likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    No, this seems to be specific to this model. I have seen some TV Jones T-Armonds with white inserts, so I imagine you van get special order TVJ pickups. Best to contact them and enquire about what you are thinking of.

CKC411 likes this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ah ! Some years ago, a "Poor Man's Surf Green" Gretsch guitar was issued in the G5622TLH model... 10 made only in LH (incredible !) on special order for a French shop in Paris called "Le Gaucher" (The Lefty). I could snag one by chance... :cool:

[​IMG]

But OK, it's not Mr Stern's work, and the pickups are not Surf Green :oops: - Well... It's not the same price tag too ! :D

A+!

CKC411 likes this.
  20. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    Well, that is a sweet piece of guitar ass, if you excuse my crudeness. I would have picked that up (depending on your version of "poor man") and I am not even a lefty. I love the f-holes on that. Wanna trade?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice