Join Gretsch-Talk Today

County gentleman. Gibson or Gretsch ??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by musicman100, Apr 13, 2018.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I did get to try a Gibson Tenny ,wasn't too keen on it as they look ,weird ,i'd rather have a 335.

2. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Chet played the guitar brand, what company paid him the most. He had complete say so in the design. If it was a mulch guitar and they paid him enough he would play a mulch, if the design suited him. I don't blame him.

You would also. Besides Chet could make any guitar sound great.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Chet was a Gretsch endorser, basically until they ceased production. He was loyal to the Gretsch family, even though he had misgivings about the Baldwin era products. He had always wanted a solid body classical and could never get Gretsch to build one.

After Gretsch went out of business, he agreed to endorse Gibson. The Gibson Country Gentleman was essentially an ES-350T with Gretsch-style controls and a Bigsby. I have heard, anecdotally, that he was not that thrilled with the sound, but stayed with it because he wanted his endorsement to be true. However, Gibson did build his solid-body classical and he used that pretty much as built. There are pictures of him with the Kirk Sands classical as well.

No artist with any integrity whatsoever would play a piece of junk just for the endorsement money. I don’t think that there’s all that much money in celebrity endorsements, anyhow. I’ll concede that some signature models seem little more than a custom finish on a production guitar, but there are some amazing sig’ models out there. Usually the endorser has a lot of input into specifications on their signature instrument.

4. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I don't agree. Chet grew-up durning harder times that we have ever seen. He said that it was in the 40/ 50's till they knew the depression was over.

To prove my point: Have your ever try a Chet glove ? One of his endorsements. Chet did not agree to endorse a Gretsch until he had control over the design, so I say money and control had a lot to do with it.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That argument comes up quite a lot. It's crap gear, so and so is only playing it because they gave him a Ferrari and sponsored his hair transfusions, blah blah.

Any top guitar player is basicly a top athlete, who would not risk his performance and reputation for any money in the world.

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Chet understood that his name had meaning. He valued recognition and respect, wanting to be appreciated for his intellect. At the height of his fame, I doubt that endorsement fees from Gretsch ever amounted to much. He grew up dirt poor, but lived frugally and built a house when he was able to pay cash for it. He was prosperous, to be certain, but he wasn’t the sort of man to throw money around.

One thing I am certain of, is that he wouldn’t endorse inferior products. He valued his name far too much to do that. The Gibson Gents were not my cup of tea, mostly because the pickups don’t work for the classic Chet sound, but by the ‘80s Chet was heading in new directions and was able to utilize the sound of those Gibsons effectively.

Ricochet likes this.
  7. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Not my cup of tea either.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    At the time he went with Gibson, he didn’t have a lot of choices. Gretsch was no longer in production and Gibson probably got his endorsement agreement by agreeing to produce his solid body classical. IMO, Gibson made the Country Gent in the image of their famed line of jazz archtops, which was significantly different than the Gretsch sound, but such is life. I wonder if he ever gave any thought to going with Guild? Their mini humbucker would have been a pretty good substitute for a Gretsch.

johnny g likes this.
  9. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    The 'country gent' is a Gretsch!!! The Les Paul and ES models are Gibson!!!

10. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    And??

11. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    And?? ??
    Was sure I made it pretty clear....