Country gent question

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by dallasblues, Oct 23, 2013.

1. dallasblues

dallasblues Gretschie

Jan 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Can anyone tell me what the white plastic panel, beneath the leather pad, on the rear of a Country Gentleman is for?

2. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    To cover the hole and give a little stability to the pad.

3. dallasblues

dallasblues Gretschie

Jan 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Ahhh... That makes sense. So, it's easier to access the pickups, wiring and such than say a Gibson type archtop?

4. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yup, started in the 60's to save on assembly cost. Cheaper to cut a hole, install parts quicker, and then cover it up with the plastic and pad.

Some earlier "Electrotone" style bodies had no holes/plastic and pads, and I'm betting workers hated building those. A real PITA doing all parts assembly though the PUP holes.

I'm thinking that the addition of the "mutes" pushed the design for the cutout/plastic/pad, as they were mechanical and just couldn't be done easily, if at all, through the PUP holes.

5. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    That hole is there to install and access the mute lever system.
    I guess they don't go well through the f-holes.

I don't think it's there for installing the electronics, or all gretsches would have the backpad.;)

6. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Correct... the mute apparatus is the reason for the trap door in the back. I have a '62 6120 that was custom ordered without the mute system. It has a back pad, but lacks the trap door and associated cover.

7. afire

afire Country Gent

Yes, the pre-mute Gents, and all Tennesseans, for that matter, are a nightmare to work on. You wouldn't think that the F-holes would make that much of a difference, but they really do. With nothing but the pickup holes to work with, they're quite a challenge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice