Couldn't resist... NAD!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by stiv, May 20, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I got this little baby under my hands last weekend. The owner wanted one of my big babies (a '77 Siverface Twin) and offered me a tryout... so it had to come home with me.
    I've had other Champs before (the last one, a 80s Rivera-era Champ heavily modded) but this one seemed to like the Hi-Lo Trons a lot.
    Plus, it was 100% original and really mint (like it's never made it out of a bedroom or a studio) and I also got a little cash.
    I tried it at home with my p90s and my Filters and my lispsticks, and it seemed to like them as well. It missed the hump of a bigger speaker, but I have other amps that could do that job.
    I hated to let my Twin go, but I hardly used it in the last 2 years so maybe it was about time. I'm not sure this Champ will see any more action as well outside my bedroom (and I'm not really a bedroom player... or maybe I wasn't. Now I'm getting old... :)), but the tone it's really a keeper. I put a boost in front of it and it was bottleneck heaven. It doesn't feedback at all, no matter how many pedal you chain into it (maybe the 8" speaker has something to do with it). That's quite unusual for me, as I love feedback and use it a lot as a weapon of guitar tecnique distraction :D. Maybe it will make me concentrate on working at my skills again.
    The '77 Champ.
    champ-mid.jpg

2. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    My buddy has one identical to yours, and he often brings it to my lessons. It is the most incredible sounding 8" 5 watt amp I've ever heard. You couldn't pry the one he's got out of his hands for anything.

stiv and johnny g like this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It's kinda strange.
    I'm usually able to get a tone that rich from my amps, but not at that volume and not without a huge hump from the speakers.
    I have to get used to it. Fer sure it's so full of harmonics that you hardly miss the volume pump.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    congrats on a great amp. Love my 76 champ as well. perfect for home play :)

stiv likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Great little amps.

stiv likes this.
  6. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Gotta love a Champ, congrats

stiv likes this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Cheap and cheerful, nothing like a Fender Champ. Congrats on great score.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

stiv likes this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Best amp I’ve ever had.

I have to mention putting a Celestion 8” speaker in there. Made my Champ even more indispensable.

stiv likes this.
  9. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I always think that the simpler an amp is, the more it makes you smile. Enjoy!

pmac11 and stiv like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice Stiv , enjoy

stiv likes this.
  11. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yep, I agree
    Nice score stiv!
    I wish someone wanted my '74 Twin, too loud to play and too heavy to steal.

stiv likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that is wonderful! I'm a bit curious though. An amp that doesn't (allow) feedback. Is that a trait of '70s Champs?

stiv likes this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on your "new" Champ, stiv!

14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I converted one of mine into a head at one point! I love champs.

stiv likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Ha! Well, I'm not sure I wont' miss my Twin one of these days. Mine was the Master Volume model and it was much more manageable than a Black Face, still I didn't find any use for him in the last 2 years.
    I just thought that If I'll ever want a Twin (or another high wattage Silverface) again, I bet there will be someone willing to swap his amp with my Champ fer sure...;)

new6659 likes this.
  16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a Twin from about 1970 which was modded to a Blackface (no more master volume - I miss it now). Had it for almost 40 years. Would never get rid of it but have to admit it doesn't get much use these days because of the crushing volume. But once upon a time, we were glorious!

stiv likes this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    This is my first Silverface 5w so I couldn't tell. Both the others I had were 80s, one modded with a 10" speaker instead of the 8" and they both feedbacked very well (when maxed, the 10" even without pedals). The difference (I guess) it's in the frequencies of overdrive... Blackfaces have a more "growling" sound (which I love and I miss), Silverfaces a more mid-oriented "sparkling" overdrive, the kind of difference (in a smaller scale) between a pure overdrive and a fuzzy one.
    Yesterday I played it for awhile and I noticed that the more the tube gets warm, the better the speaker induct feedback (with the help of a pedal), but it's a gentle one an never in-your-face one like when you play an hollow body too close and too loud on the amp.
    I still have to play it with my Pre FMIC 6120, which is at the repair shop and it's my biggest body. Maybe that and the Dyna will induct a bit more.

Ricochet likes this.
  18. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Agree.
    You couldn't emulate a growling Silverface Twin (or Vibrosonic) with no pedal or no small amp. It moves the air around you. :)

new6659 likes this.
  19. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Exactly right. The power of the amp is the experience. It catches everyone's full attention in an instant.

stiv likes this.
  20. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Love my Silverface Champ. Great little amps. Think mine is a’78.

CA291062-6924-45DB-BC69-12954F10E857.jpeg

Attached Files:

stiv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice