Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Corvette Number Two

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Sep 30, 2017.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The recent bout of asking @Joe Carducci for a proline Corvette has inspired me to create one from scratch (especially since I can't find a good deal on one of the Nashville bodies).

Already have the mahogany on order.

Planning on a bound ebony neck with thumbnails.
    Filters of some kind TBA.

Undetermined as of yet is the headstock shape. I'm leaning toward the 2+4. Although reversing it to a 4+2 would make life easier. Probably going to have to sell it afterwards so popular appeal enters into it. The 3+3 is too passé in this instance.

Also, hardtail or trem. The B5 is out of the question for me. The body is too thin to put a Strat trem system in. Maybe something like a Jazzy/Jag system? I've not used one but I'm concerned the 'look' might not be right here.
    I was looking at the Stetsbar, I'm sure they work great but I'm not in love with all the real estate they consume. Not to mention the price! I don't want to mess with Floyds and copies thereof. Any suggestions here?

As usual I'll be boring you all to death with updates as they come :)

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I've got most of the stuff gathered for my Corvette build. I decided to go with a Les Trem because I don't get along with tension bar bigsby's and I can just put a stop tail on if I don't like it.
    I'll be following closely looking for ideas. I'm particularly interested in how you're going about the neck joint/neck pickup route.

BorderRadio and englishman like this.
  3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm planning on a thicker tenon than the original for sure. Similar to the ones I did on the Billy-Bo builds.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm goin stop tail on the Nashville body, and looking for a old "Gretsch" branded B5 for the '66 Corvette, the Burns are silly in terms of price. Didn't think a JM bridge would work, the depth on the route (+30mm) is about as deep as the body. You can thicken it of course. You have just enough room, I think it'd look cool and work extremely well.

Anyone know what the black dot is on the back of 60s Corvette bodies, behind the tenon? I assumed this is where a dowel was inserted but not so sure.

5. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Thread subscribed to.
    Looking forward to the action!

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Oh ya Dave, I'm watching this one!!!

7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sadly it's more likely a screw judging by the 60s antics of the Brooklyn guys.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The stock body is 1.5" or 38 point something millimeters. I could beef the body up a tad, but the lightweight thin nature of the 'vette is one of the most appealing aspects of it. There's Chinese copies of the Japanese Teisco type terms out there, but they weren't good from Japan and I can't imagine the Chinese versions to be superior.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Looking very much forward to this thread, David.
    As far as I know there is a screw under the dowel.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agreed, those lightweight and thin bodies are a big plus. But you only need to clear the spring and arm collet. One could just route the cavity to 1 inch like the control route, and drop down at the tension spring/collet area. Usually those routes are 1 3/8" (35mm), but 30mm or so will have the bottom of the spring just about thouching the base. I couldn't pull that off on my two 'vettes, both are 34-35mm deep.

11. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Be pretty tough to get a jag/jazz trem in there. Fairly deep hole to route for those. Same goes for a floyd. Goes as deep as a strat.

Stetsbars suck........ Sorry. i installed one. They work fine. I just thought they look bad and the tremolo arm is secured in a crappy crude or cheap manner if you ask me.

I honestly think you're just stuck with a hardtail or a bigsby.

12. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea for this reason I'd just use a stoptail and the purchaser can swap in a Les Trem.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    May I suggest the Duesenberg Super Tremola, which is an excellent tremolo device, right out of the box. It's what I have installed on my Dano 59 Lefty Fake - in LH version - and will also install on my guitar project under construction :

[​IMG]

Here's the link to Duesenberg USA for that product :

http://duesenbergusa.com/dstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=75

But the price is quoted nearly 2x more than in France ! I'm sure that you can find one for much less... For example here, via eBay, from France :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREMOLO-DUE...383995?hash=item58ef5408fb:g:N2kAAOSwWxNYqZBc

I'm sure that it would look nice on a Corvette, adding moreover smooth operation and reliable performance...

But it's me, OK :D ?

A+!

14. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Watching with interest.....

15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Aesthetically speaking, it might as well be a B50.

I realize the original Burns units had remote tension bars.

There's a Kahler unit that will work but it looks a little large also. Might be more in line with the 'rock machine' intention.

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. How light is light? I only played a corvette once. It had a really bad set up in the store. I liked that it seemed very light compared to the tim Armstrong I played there moments before, I liked the high Fret access, and had it only played well I might have gotten it. In the last few years, light works better for me than carrying the equivalent of a bowling ball on my shoulders.

17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Anyone ever use one of these Allparts trems based on the Gibson Maestro?

Attached Files:

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    No, I never played the Allparts-variant but I played the original Gibson Maestro.
    Although it looks nice it is a constant scource for tuning problems. The vibrato-effect is not very effective, too.
    That is the reason why everybody deinstalled them on their vintage Gibsons.

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Why don`t you put in a tun-o-matic and a Les-trem?

20. buchon2111

buchon2111 Electromatic

Mar 26, 2016
    US/Spain