Corvette going sharp after using Bigsby??

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Miguello, Feb 10, 2020.

1. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The major difference I found was having the nut cut down so the strings are only half + a little bit inside. This may require a few ons and offs of the strings, but likely will diminish tuning issues by far.

In case you only bend up or only bend down (by pushing the Bigsby), just do it during tuning and you'll be fine ... it's only tricky when you want both - but having both, to me, makes the guitar fully usable, so I don't really see a point in not setting it up complete and right. And it's quite rewarding, as you do it once and then play until the nut is worn, which will likely take months or even years.

Old lubricant has to be removed and replaced, as it only works as long as it is a fluid, but any grease will turn solid after a while and therefore should be taken off.

The string butler ... hm, I thought about one, too, but it is really ugly and, while reducing friction in the nut, it still adds another spot of potential problems, so ... no.

In general - there is no frictionless vibrato unit of any kind. There always will be a bit of detuning in at least one direction, but if you get through the longest song with the most bends and vibratos without being out enough to have to retune, it can be called perfect, or as close to perfect that any more is more of academic interest than practical advantage.

section2 likes this.
  2. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    BINGO!! It's fixxed, haha. Super Squishy Spring, and a Tuning stabilizer/raised roller/biggsfixx. You barely have to touch the arm for the pitch to drop, and the vibrato is quite rubbery now. I guess it still needs nut work though, as the G is still going just a tiny bit sharp, but we're talking a notch or two on the tuner. Before it was well on it's way to G#. It sounds so much more professional now too. Beautiful tones! So, the first day of the week the shop is open, is tomorrow. I will drop it off and see what they can do. I would not mind an new unbleached bone nut though. My funds are drained after buying both a used Gibson LP Studio, and a used Epiphone LP Standard in the last week, but I can pick it up Friday. I'm a Les Paul nut, when I not playing my Vette.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great news!

section2 likes this.
  4. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    Proof I own one haha.

Attached Files:

new6659 and Henry like this.
  5. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    Well, it will be consigned to sell at the shop that jacked up the nut install tomorrow, that should show them what I think of their work. They somehow managed to chip the paint on the face of the headstock, BADLY, and then charged me full price for the job. I am kind of sick, and don't even want to look at the guitar anymore. They ruined that for me.... Will I own another Gretsch, of course I will. I will just not use the Bigsby on it that much if it won't stay in tune, and I will definitely not pay someone to work on it. I will learn how to cut nut slots myself and do them myself from now on. I know I can do a better job than whoever botched this so badly. I've replaced a dozen or more nuts in my time, and have never had this happen, even as an amateur.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Somehow I missed the post directly above, dang that’s too bad.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good for you. It’s weird that a part worth a couple of bucks has so much effect on tone and playability.
    You’d think manufacturers take extra special care cutting the nuts, but on 95% of my guitars I had to recut the nut, or replace’m. o_O

dougmon likes this.
  8. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    A shop was supposed to be making a custom bone nut for it, and took some paint off of the headstock somehow in the process. They glued the chips back in, and colored the edges with a Sharpie. They also somehow managed to haze the paint all up on the half of the headstock in the process. It was as close to perfect as could be for its youngish age. Makes me sick to look at it.

9. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    Change of plans, sort of. Definitely not giving away the Bigs fix or Tone Pros roller bridge. They will be coming off prior to the sale. There are other guitars I can use the parts on.

10. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    The last pic I took of the nicely done bone nut install. (sarcasm of course)

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 2.24.26 PM.png

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You allow them to get a cut of the sale after they screwed up your guitar?

12. Miguello

Miguello Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    Houston, TX
    Honestly why do you even care? Trying to sell ANYTHING on CL or Facebook these days is next to impossible. You either get no response whatsoever, one of the half price club jackasses, or someone that asks you to hold it for two weeks then back out or disappear when it comes to the agreed on day. At least I know it's being seen by dozens of people every day, And they get to look at it every day and know they jacked it up. Whoopee they cut of a guitar they jacked up, honestly I am the one who should care and I don't, sooooo.

Alright, my current love affair with a Gretsch is now over, so I am un-watching the thread. I may come back later when I find another one. Bye for now....

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You participate in a thread and get upset when there’s a response??

I wouldn’t say I care, but a shop like that would piss me off enough to not want any further dealings with them. Just genuinely wondering, but all is good man. Whatever right?

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice