Correct Output for NOS '60's PAF Filtertrons

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by HOYERGEORGE, Jan 20, 2020.

1. HOYERGEORGE

HOYERGEORGE Electromatic

Oct 19, 2010
    Seattle

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Is this uhm...individual still in business?

3. afire

afire Country Gent

Apparently. Which is kind of odd. When I met him it was 30 years ago and he seemed like a white haired elderly gentleman. To be fair, everybody with white hair probably seems elderly to a 13 year old even if they aren't. But he must be pretty old. Yet he's still swindling people, so I guess he's taken good care of himself.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I tried to google his name. Surprisingly little comes up. Is Eric his son?

You’ll get a kick out of this. From 2012...
    This guy actually worked for Gretsch?

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/art-wiggs

5. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm not sure I believe that he was actually employed by Gretsch. I don't doubt that in the past Gretsch has referred work to him. He has always seemed to have a gift for self promotion. And I suppose it's possible, but it would be surprising if the darker side of his reputation has never come to the attention of Gretsch higher-ups.

As for his vintage "restorations," I once encountered an example. It was a '63 Country Gentleman. It was rebound, oversprayed and electronics and hardware restored. The binding was atrocious, sloppy, rounded edges, disjointed seams. The overspray was even worse - thick, gloppy, literally there were drips readily visible. I've heard that some of his work is very good, and that some of his Falcon/Penguin conversions were pretty convincing. But he was sure phoning it in on the one I saw. And when Art restores your electronics and hardware, what that means is he replaces it all with modern parts and the originals go into his vintage parts inventory. Everything but the wood, backpad and mute system on this guitar was replaced. I've heard of this happening to several people.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Bottom line, it appears that you didn't get pups "as advertised."

What did you end up paying for these?

7. HOYERGEORGE

HOYERGEORGE Electromatic

Oct 19, 2010
    Seattle
    His son was active with him at the time of my purchase so he may have taken over. They were in San Jose at that point. He was always talking about his association with Duke Kramer as though they were joined at the hip.

8. HOYERGEORGE

HOYERGEORGE Electromatic

Oct 19, 2010
    Seattle
    Meant to compliment you on your avatar - 6122 mahogany tiger stripe with fake f- holes ? What year ? Love the AC30. Funny you should mention Vintage Guitar Mag as that's where I found him advertising parts - hence my purchase. Usually a publication will police advertisers if there are complaints which is why I took the gamble. I haven't had a sub in maybe 10 years & print is really on hard times - I get Guitar Player for $3.17/yr.

9. afire

afire Country Gent

Thanks! The Gent is a '59. It's actually not flamey, and might just look that way in the little avatar picture. And the f-holes, while not open, are sort of "real." Up until 1961, they were actually inlaid celluloid, not painted on. The AC30 is a '64.

10. HOYERGEORGE

HOYERGEORGE Electromatic

Oct 19, 2010
    Seattle
    My first real guitar was a CG as described to you, used, with all of the plastic on the surrounds and pick guard cracked from overtightening and a black felt pad glued to the back. Within a year the pots were getting scratchy so I took it back to the local indy music store where I ( along with some help from my dad ) had bought it. This being the mid '60's there really weren't any tech/luthiers around so they shipped it back to Gretsch. A couple weeks later I get a call to come get my guitar. Not old enough to drive, I waited for what seemed like forever for my dad to get home with the only car in the family. We get there and they open up the case : brand new surrounds and pick guard, polished all the frets and cleaned the pots, waxed the guitar. My out of pocket : $20 for shipping - and this store wasn't even a Gretsch dealer.

new6659 and dak55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice