'Cool' is in the eye of the beholder, but some might like this.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by JBacklund, Mar 7, 2019.

Nice look . . . comparison to a 1955 'Vette convertible seems 'bout right.
    So boutique guitars . . .
    . . . are ya' trying to make a fashion statement or sometin' (?) LOL (in a good way) . . .

JBacklund likes this.
  1. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

No 'fashion statement', I just create concepts of what appeals to me, then others try to make them real. My guitars used to be hand-made boutique instruments in the early day of them, but no more. Korean manufacturing and smarter marketing put an end to that, and I'm fine with things that way, at least now I can afford to buy my own stuff.

calebaaron666 and Jena like this.
  2. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

No 'back door', just the pickup routings, it's not overly easy to dig around in them. Set neck on this model. They have only top binding....(pay no attention to the sleeping cat in the reflection).

IMG_20190213_094738763~2.jpg

drmilktruck, hcsterg and new6659 like this.
  3. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

At this point, I don't know what the future of this guitar will be, or what color combinations might be applied to it. Where it goes from here depends entirely on what Eastwood is willing to do with it. If they want to offer it in different color combos, I'm ready to accommodate them.

The Rockerbox is actually one of my less imaginative and original ideas, because it's basic profile is inarguably 'Gibson classic'. I like to say, that with this guitar, I didn't re-invent the wheel, so much as put a crazy hubcap on the old one.

drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  4. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

Quite a few also on ebay.

5. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

Because I'm exclusively a finger picker, I can't play my own example unless I lower the middle pup almost to level with the mount ring to clear my picks, so I effectively have made mine a two-pickup guitar.

audept likes this.
  6. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

No, I'm not technically astute enough for that sort of thing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Ricochet likes this.
  7. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    That guitar is so gaudy, and I love it. If it had single coils, I'd be all about it.

JBacklund likes this.
  8. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

When coming up with this concept, I had the Rockabilly crowd in mind. Maybe a few of them will find a happy home with the Car Culture/Betty Paige folks. I'd love to see this model used that way.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Oh I get it . . . it is all about the fun of performing and the whole schtick of it all.
    Fashion statement is a little too harsh , , , art, making art with the "twanger"
    I'm there . . . and I am sure to borrow finishing ideas from some of the boutiques for a few changes I'll be making to a stock righty axe.

Thanks for making art.
    Now if I can only keep the fashion police from a citation in my "art" work - lol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Merc and JBacklund like this.
  11. JBacklund

JBacklund Electromatic

I like to use lipstick single coils in some of my Guitars, usually three at a time, they don't always find their way to the production versions though.

My Marz 6 model is that way, the original prototype had triple lipsticks but the production guitar ended up with a single-coil rail type, and a bucker...
    IMG_20190211_125533661_HDR.jpg

The Katalina, however, retained the three lipsticks of the prototype (green)...
    IMG_20180420_154146128.jpg

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That is exactly what a fashion statement is. Be proud of it !! They are wonderful.

JBacklund and Jena like this.
  13. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I'd love to have one with something like triple toaster style pick ups. It'd definitely be an eye catcher on stage, but sadly, I wouldn't really use it in a rockabilly context

14. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  15. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

That's weird.....I was looking at your stuff on the Eastwood site yesterday, first time I've been there in ages, and then this thread appears. Seems like a couple of others were looking at Eastwood recently as well.

Your designs are fantastic, in every sense of the word. I really like the individuality of them, it's like you said "how does everybody else make guitars......hmmmm, ok I'm not gonna do that".

Have you ever designed amps, John?

JBacklund likes this.
  16. I caught the email from Eastwood yesterday as well. It is a funky looking axe. Eastwood has come a long way from 300 dollar guitars. When i saw the price, i backed away. Plus the blue wasn’t available.

drmilktruck and JBacklund like this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I like it, in fact, one of your nicest designs yet imho!

a little triva note - Buick came up with the "porthole" idea in 1949 - they called them "venti-ports" The biggest engines got 4 ports per side, smaller ones three. The original designs called for them to light up as the engine ran - every time the cylinder fired, they'd blink! ... an idea quickly dismissed, but Buick has been designing cars with "venti-ports" on and off ever since. The modern ones are just a hint of the originals, but still sort of a Buick tradition.

Just imagine if yours could blink every time you hit an open E chord! LoL!

JBacklund and Ricochet like this.
  18. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I like it. I like it a lot.

JBacklund likes this.
  19. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    It would be nice to offer some of your models with only two pickups.

JBacklund likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice