Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Controversial opinions on music?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by houndman55, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Rap/hiphop is just "poetry set to a beat". Complain about the (lack of) musicianship all you want, but there was a time music was nothing but a beat... everything else is just embellishment. :D

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I don't understand the hate for Nickelback.

They honestly aren't that bad.

hogrider16 likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There is a huge demographic difference between the current generation and all previous generations - aging of the population. From 1960 to 2016 the median age has increased from 29.5 to 37.9 years. In 1940, 6.8% of the population was 65 or over. In 2010, 13%. Now in 2017, it is about twice the percentage as in 1940.

That means a larger and larger portion of the population is allegedly "narrow minded and intolerant". With a larger cohort, they are also less likely to be exposed to other perspectives and be surrounded by those with similar demographics.

I am not trying to bash 65+, but these demographic trends so have a cultural effect, for better or worse.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I like Elton John's music. Cypress Hill is a guilty pleasure of mine as well.

5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It is odd how dealing with your own children suddenly brings into focus why your parents did some of the things they did that confused you when you were a child. My father was well respected and I could do a lot worse than to try and emulate him however I can.

6. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    There’s more than one way to look at that. I’m 63 and, true, I am not as open to new ideas as I once was, but there’s a flip side to that. I’m not as likely to be fooled, to make a mistake or to rush into something as I was in my younger days. I don’t have the energy I used to have, but in every other way I like the 63 year old me a lot better than I liked the 31.5 year old me. The 31.5 year old me would see the current me as a stick in the mud, but the 31.5 year old me made mistakes that the 63 year old me would have avoided.

I’m more tolerant of people than I was 30 years ago, but a lot quicker to avoid trouble.

The older I get, the smarter my father becomes.

7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    At 70 I can still do most things I used to but it generally takes me a bit longer. Mrs Audept says that's not necessarily a bad thing.....;)

MarkyMac and Rob Williams like this.
  8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Absolutely. Some say that the drop in violent crime rates (and the previous increase) is in part due to an aging population. Don't know if it's been substantially proven.

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Ageing population = more potential easy victims, unfortunately! :(

10. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Without a hit song muscianship is a moot point. There are thousands of great musicians out there that will never "make it" because they can't come up with a hit song. We can all run down big names, but they are the ones filling seats with people that came to hear and see them perform. Not to dance, drink, and pick up a date in a bar.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Makes a bit of sense.

One other factor is that people retain their health much longer these days. I have a cousin who is 74 years old and very active, runs a business and hopes to retire by the age of 79. That’s impressive. It didn’t happen that way in my parent’s generation.

12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    It has. Statistically, the vast majority of violent crimes are committed by people under the age of 40. As the low end of the Baby Boomers (Born from 1946 to 1964) (50% of the population) are now 53 it stands to reason that violent crime has decreased. The violent crime stats bear this out too. If we accept that the average year of birth of a Baby Boomer was in around the early 1950s, and view the rapid decline in violent crime rates beginning in around 1990 (and continuing in a straight line until today) we see the statistical correlation between the average age of the population and the decrease.

Here is an interesting piece regarding the reduction in the rate of violent crime. It is centered on the US, but virtually every jurisdiction (in the western world) measured reports the same violent crime reductions.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/21/5-facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/

13. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Gretschie

May 17, 2014
    Dallas
    •••••

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. bubblyah

bubblyah Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2010
    Calgary,Alberta
    love AFI. Jade is such a tight guitarist.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    It’s sort of amazing, because TV news would have you believe that we all live in continuous danger, but the rates seem to be dropping steadily.

16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Well... the mainstream media has been known to be less than truthful. Remember the old media adage, "if it bleeds it leads."

17. afire

afire Country Gent

Aging population more likely = fewer offenders. Crime is mostly a supply-side operation, and for the most part, aging out is the norm.

18. russmack

russmack Synchromatic

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Well, I'm sixty-nine, and I've never forgotten what the old guys said about our music back in the sixties.

And I've always said to myself that I'll never allow myself to adopt that attitude.

And, that's exactly what I've done. So, I'll listen to their music for a maximum of three nanoseconds before I make up my mind.

I seem to have turned out like those (old) guys from the sixties.

On the other hand, I seem to be on a moving twenty-year drag with music. I'm slow, but there it is.

Russ

Henry likes this.
  19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That about covers it for me...

englishman likes this.
  20. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Gretschie

Mar 13, 2015
    Dunedin, FL
    Only if you prefer to throw labels around rather than have a real in-depth discussion of the issues. In a country where people are free to speak their mind, some people will naturally be offended. But nothing really happens to you when you're offended. It's not like your arm falls off or you break into hives. All political correctness ever does is shut down the conversation so people can get away with being intellectually lazy.

MTurner, Bertotti and ruger9 like this.