Controversial opinions on music?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by houndman55, Aug 12, 2015.

1. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Growing up near Philly, I remember H & O being called Blue Eyed Soul. I liked their music a lot. Kind of a soundtrack for my life back then..

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Daryl Hall would slap you for using that term, or worse. :)

panhead6zero likes this.
  3. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Not trying to be confusing. I read some time ago that on a good year the "Elvis" brand made more that Elvis did during his whole career. Just meant that is impressive for someone that's been dead 40 years.

You guys are a tough room.

4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Maybe I’ll finally find the big bucks after I cash out. :)

5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's ok, I was just being flippant (for once) :D

6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    There is a lot of music (and other stuff, too) that I don't like. But if it's done with honest and heartfelt devotion, I have the greatest respect for the one who does it.
    That being said beforehand: I don't like Chet Atkins' music.

englishman likes this.
  7. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    What ever happened to this guy? I had heard he had a hand in helping Bon Jovi getting his start back in the day.. This video always had a special place in my childhood as I didn't know what mtv was until 1983 / 1984. You would stay up late in the early 80's on a Saturday night after old star trek and Benny Hill and there would be a hour special of videos by Billy Squier, Pat Benatar, 38 special and the like.. This one was always played first lol.

5420LH likes this.
  8. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    In his autobiography Johnny Cash said:
    "Not even Elvis would go on after Jerry Lee!"

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Jerry Lee was tepid compared to the real Killer on rock n roll Pyanna!
    [​IMG]

audept likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That '55 P-Bass is awesome! What guitar is the player on the right using? It's tiny compared to the Tele on the left!

11. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    I loved them. “Monkey” is an absolutely killer riff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jtees4

jtees4 Electromatic

Aug 21, 2017
    USA
    When touring alone, Richie Sambora sounded great doing the Bon Jovi songs....all of a sudden they sounded very masculine and his voice was better for many of them in my opinion. More rock as opposed to pop.

13. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    Hendrix on drugs pentatonic repetitive solos for minutes sucks .... sad but true ...

ponca likes this.
  14. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Really good illustration of the fact that skilled playing isn't always the same as good playing.

Javier668 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    To say that sucks is to insult the notion of something sucking.

Here's my take on Hendrix: I think he was a good player, but with success came access to drugs and that was his weakness. I met and spoke to a musician that knew him to some degree and he told me that Hendrix had zero ability to refuse drugs, ZERO! People played upon this and Jimi ended up footing the bill for a lot of other people's indulgences, because he was so frequently stoned and would sign virtually anything in that state. The career of Hendrix as a nationally recognized performer followed the arc of his decline into drug abuse. It's happened before to other musicians and has certainly happened since. The money rolls in, the drugs become easier to obtain and the performer suffers.

Stevie Ray Vaughan caught it just in time and went sober. Sadly, an accident prevents us from ever knowing what might have been. Had Hendrix gotten sober there's no telling what he might have done in the years since 1970.

ponca likes this.
  16. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    I always liked this clip of Jimi.

panhead6zero likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey! No dissin' Jimi!
    lynch mob.jpg

18. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    Ugh that skronking tone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Gretschie

Feb 20, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I guess I don't really have any. I'm grown up / old enough to have figured out that people's likes and dislikes are not the same. And I'm grown up /old enough that I don't really care what anybody else likes or dislikes - enough to be upset about it, anyway. Music-wise, I like what I like, because.. for the same reasons most people like what they like, I imagine. I'm pretty much stuck back before 1975 or so in what I like, but so what? I like it back there; lots of good memories and stuff. The only thing I really don't like is people telling me what I should listen to - because they think they know better than I do. I'll let you imagine my response to that - and it ain't "yes sir"...:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice