Controversial opinions on music?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by houndman55, Aug 12, 2015.

1. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    You could say, Not very engaging eh?

2. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

1. Supertramp were way under rated... on many levels.
    2. Ed Sheeran is simply too good at everything... for how he looks.
    3. I'm running out of time... I need to get on X Factor.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    according to Priscilla Presley he only ever ate that sandwich ONCE.. I get bummed when I see the focus on that poor soul always about when he got sh$tty old n fat w that white suit. :)

@uncledaddy - I must be a gaylord. Gimme a pink caddy, a pink strat, a pink gretsch and a pink suit anyday!
    [​IMG]
    Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks! I want to bring this band back.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I know what you mean Tavo. Elvis slid downhill a bit in the last year or so of his life, but up until then he was the epitome of cool. The poor guy died an early death, why do people fixate on his swift decline?

5. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I don't know what you 2 old boys are talking about. Karate, especially on stage, Elvis is the best

TSims1 likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Baron Rothschild supposedly said "I always sell too soon" when talking about stocks. The same seems true of musicians. You can either leave at the top of your game, or the world watches you decline.

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I saw a video of Elvis taken a few months before he died. He wasn’t up to much karate. I mean no insult to him, my words are meant compassionately. Towards the end, Elvis was not the stallion he used to be. It breaks my heart.

8. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, there's that one clip of "Unchained Melody" that's rough to watch. But you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villian I suppose. "Burning Love" is still one of his greatest songs, though

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    It is heartbreaking. My family for some reason seemed to regard Elvis just under Jesus.. Granparents, and parents.. When he died they were all crying. I remember the lights being off in the house all day and the news on w Elvis music on the stereo. No one ever cared to talk about his last few yrs, the white jumpsuit yada yada.. The living yrs were brilliant and no body, noooo body could touch Elvis and Scotty or Bill Black..They were a force of nature. The last great appearance was the 68' comeback special in my opinion.

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Same for me with the Beatles...I know, I know..they were extremely influential, excellent song writers, fabulous musicians, and Ringo had an exceptional talent for keeping perfect time(although, that was his job), and I do like them, but just dont love them or get real excited about their music

HBob likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Elvis did it the best.

larryb likes this.
  12. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Elvis makes more money annually today than he ever made while alive.
    Not too many of us can say that.

13. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    ...with a guitarist who was up to snuff with Bonzo and Jonesy. Those two carried that band while Plant wiggled his hips in a girl’s blouse and sang off key and Page donned a wizard suit and proved to the world that a Les Paul can make noises like a dog blowing its nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drown, MTurner and HBob like this.
  14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Or die at 27...

15. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Guess my only controversial music critique is I pretty much like a bit of everything. CD's I've played in the last couple of weeks were:

NWA, Slayer, Jack Johnson, Led Zep 1st Album, Best of Alice Cooper, Rhiannon Giddens, Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Stones - Exile on Main Street, Prince, Gary Clark Jr, Michael Kiwanuka, Sturgill Simpson, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle be Unbroken, Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop, Beck - Odelay, Black Sabbath, Spirit, Isreal 'IZ' Kamakawiwo'ole, Holst - The Planets....kinda all over the place. It makes it hard to play guitar sometimes because I have sooo many influences, so I feel I have guitar ADHD and am pulled in a dozen different directions, all the time!

I think it's silly to say "I hate such and such music..." or "I don't consider X to even be music" (Rap or Metal is the usual culprit). I don't like everything anyone has ever done, but can usually find a song by almost anyone that has musical merit in some way...OK, Maybe not Celine Dion...;) Seriously though, I feel anyone that has a song in their heart or mind, and manages to get it out is some kind of artist! And I usually find a way to at least appreciate what they're trying to do or say...

I still get really excited to find new (to me) music and love putting a new CD on and listening to it for the first time, or an old one that I haven't heard in years and listen to it all the way through. I really dig it when my nieces and nephews ask me about something new they're listening to and I know a song or two, and I love turning them on to some of the good, cool and obscure stuff that has moved me in the past. The first song that I ever remember 'hearing' and liking was the Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and have listened to everything I could get ahold of ever since. I wake up every morning with a song in my head (not always a pleasant experience) and am not sure what song I'll hear when I pass this realm, but I'm betting that I'll dig it!

drown likes this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My tastes don’t range quite as widely as yours, but they are fairly broad. If someone were to browse my CD collection, they would certainly note some incongruities. The point, as I see it, is not to be influenced by labels. Most artists are multilithic and capable of much more than the genre which gives them a claim to fame. I recently heard John 5 doing Chet’s “Young Thing”, which is way out of character for him, but he did a credible job of it.

One thing to remember is that most artists are just trying to make a living. Even name artists have to play music that sells over music which may move the artist, but won’t move in the marketplace. It’s a compromise of what you personally want and what will attract listeners. I love jazz, but my compromise is Chet and Surf music. Those sell; trying to be my generation’s Jim Hall requires a cardboard sign and a Sharpie if I want to eat regularly. (I am not kidding when I tell people that the most important thing in succeeding at Jazz is to marry someone with a high-paying job.) Were I to try to make a living by playing, you could bet your last nickel that I’d be playing to the audience’s tastes, not my own.

Having broad tastes only helps matters. I didn’t really take Rock seriously until I was 45, but that actually helped my Jazz playing. It’s never a simple matter of learning one thing and one thing only, we are the product of every bit of music we ever heard.

russmack likes this.
  17. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    I have the same problem! I like so much stuff as soon as I start making headway on something, something else grabs my attention and I’m off in another direction. I guess I can learn from even that and use it to increase versatility. But I for sure have musical ADD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    This is a confusing post.

Any of us can say "Elvis makes more money annually today than he ever made while alive."
    Unless you you mean making more money dead than alive... and I warrant nobody can say that!

19. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    I wouldn't admit this in my teens but I kinda liked a few H&O tunes back in the day.

panhead6zero likes this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    How much of it does he get to spend? :)

Ebidis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice