Consistency- Fender CS V Gretsch CS

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Darren1982, May 9, 2019.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    I haven't had a chance to play that many Gretsch CS/Masterbuilds but i have played a lot of CS from Fender.

If i was to order a Fender CS i would be in mind two minds as there are a lot of Dogs out there! The good ones are amazing but its a gamble.

If i was to order a Suhr or Collings i know that the custom order would be amazing and consistent. Great build and playability

What about Gretsch Customshop? Which side are they on? Suhr/Collings or Fender CS?

Any experiences with Gretsch CS? Pics or knowledge would be great?

I'm very interested in A G6128 CS now after having a G6228 which is amazing guitar and feels fantastic. Just don't know if i got lucky with this one!

j.s.c likes this.
  2. AlexO

AlexO Electromatic

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester
    I'm also eyeing a Gretsch Custom Shop up I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about them yet...

I've had a few CS fenders and agree not all are as good as they should be.

Sorry to jump on your thread but does anyone know if they could replicate the neck profile of my CS Nocaster?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I never heard of someone who was disappointed with a Gretsch Customshop guitar.
    At that pricepoint no one should be disappointed, btw..
    I think the key is to give the CS a really precise description on what you whish.
    The Gretsch CS is a really small manufacture. They are able to comply very special whishes.
    Very low grade of automation. Lots of manual labour.

I recently watched a factory tour of the Gibson and Fender Customshops.
    Man, these are big factories (with lots of CAD machines) compared to the tiny Gretsch workshop that resides in a few rooms of the Fender factory.

j.s.c and MotorCentaur like this.
  4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    From 7 years ago:

From 5 years ago:

From 3 months ago:

Make no mistake— Gretsch has some master craftsmen in their shop... work volume is substantially lower than Fender CS, allowing them to “do it right”.

r0de0, savofenno, Jena and 1 other person like this.
  5. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Very germane thread for me too, I’m making a big purchase for my 50th Birthday and am looking at Gretsch CS, Fender CS (vs boutique), and now...Collings.

I have a CS Fender Jazzmaster and it is very nice I have to say, but I think Fender can be hit or miss due to the very large scale of production like was mentioned above.

Hopefully I’ll get to play a few CS Gretsch’s and a few Collings later today. They also have a few CS Teles there which I will play. I’ll report back tomorrow.

6. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk

Looking forward to hear your report.

The gretsch custom shop you are paying lots more money so it would be interesting to see how they compare. Also to see what the difference is between the MIJ and CS?!

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The problem with any guitar is you dont know how all the pieces work together until it is complete. So you could have a finely finished CS that's dead as a doornail . I'm sure for some people it doesn't matter much though. They just play.
    I used to play a Fender CS Strat about once a week that was at a store a long time when I was just killing time. I swear that thing was the most dead wood Strat I've ever tried. It was $2400 in 2004 or so.

8. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    My trip to candy land has been postponed until Tuesday.
    I’m planning on trying two CS penguins two CS Duo Jets, two Collings 360 LT M’s, and a couple CS Teles, maybe a CS Jazzmaster.
    I have a MIJ players edition Falcon, a 2016, that is flawless so it will be interesting to compare the CS feel to that known quantity/quality. I will try to also play a MIJ Duo Jet too.
    I’ll report next week.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    savofenno, Darren1982 and DannyB like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm curious why you played a dead guitar every week.

budglo, Falconman and MotorCentaur like this.
  10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    He was breathing rocknroll love into it, to bring it to life man! :D

11. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I was working in Hollywood and living in a motel every week. For 2-3 years. Bored at night and would go to music stores all the time. I kept thinking: " I probably just had a bad test last week, I'm gonna try that CS Strat again" It never let me down how bad it was. There were some good things though, I bought a super reverb for $175. It was GC and it kept blowing a fuse when i tested it. They were putting the wrong fuse in. Offered them 175 as is. Shipped it home and put the right amperage slo blo in and it was fine!

Groutsch, savofenno, larryb and 4 others like this.
  12. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I am always in awe of the skills of these Gretsch CS guys! So much hand work, and every instrument is a work of art. Yes, they are expensive, but when you watch videos like these the cost is fully understandable.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Isn't the Gretsch CS and Fender CS the same place??

hcsterg and Jena like this.
  14. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    No. Same building, perhaps... but the actual shops are independent of each other. Stephen Stern has been the head honcho at Gretsch CS since 2007.

savofenno, larryb, audept and 2 others like this.
  15. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    ? ?

WOW! Christmas has come early! What guitar store has these fine guitars in stock?

Eager to hear your opinion. I have the 6228 so i'll be keen to hear your thoughts

new6659 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  16. Filtertronico

Filtertronico Gretschie

Aug 26, 2014
    Germany
    Well, i have three Gretsch CS,a Penguin,a 6130 and a G118T Annie...They were all good deals, specially the Annie which costed as much as a new Annie MIJ...They are all amazing and special guitars and somehow different than the Japanese ones...The quality of all three is superb, every guitar has a QC from Stephen Stern and had a great out of the box setup (only the Penguin had a store setup made, probably not because it was necessary but because that store checks up every guitar they sell before they ship it). Never had a Fender CS in my hands though, and probably never will, as I would always tend to buy another Gretsch :p

j.s.c, new6659, audept and 1 other person like this.
  17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Great question...I always thought they were independently run...I think they are a much smaller operation then the Fender CS side. Most CS Gretsch guitars that I see are described as “masterbuilt” by Stephen Stern, so hopefully this means something.

Jena likes this.
  18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    It is my 50th birthday come too early...maybe a midlife Guitar crisis?!
    I am visiting Tucson AZ and all these guitars are at Rainbow Guitars, which I’ve never been to before.
    If I like one, maybe it will come home with me, if not the search will continue but hopefully I’ll find something before I turn 51. This will be the most I’ve ever spent on a guitar and I am being verrry deliberate :D

19. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I love it, super awesome. I am highly anticipating touching my first Gretsch CS Guitar :eek::D

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  20. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    If it was a midlife guitar crisis for me, it would mean I’m gonna live to be 148! With guitars? You betcha.

j.s.c and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice