Considering Modding a Strat and Need Advice

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by LivingMyDream, Nov 10, 2019.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

So I have fallen for the Soft V profile Strat neck, and I like the idea of the 9.5" radius vs. the more period correct 7.25" radius of the 50's neck of the Vintera 50's Strat. The good/bad news is that the Eric Clapton Artist Series Strat (where I discovered the feel of the Soft V profile) has the 9.5" radius + the hefty price tag.

So I started thinking about finding a neck to swap into one of my existing Strats, and then doing the EC electronics. That's when I found out about the Classic Player 50's neck being the Soft V and having a 9.5 radius.
    So here comes what I perceive to be my dilemma. I have always purchased my guitars based on their great sound, and for one of my Strats, I have never found a real reason for the exceptional difference in sound. It might simply be that the neck is the perfect neck for that guitar. Thus the dilemma. Do I take a chance that a Classic Player 50's neck will mate well with one of my Strats, or do I go about searching through guitars to find what I consider to be a really outstanding guitar?

I appreciate any and all input, even if the consensus is that I'm seriously overthinking this.

2. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Buy the neck if it meets your desired specs. A Fender neck will almost certainly fit a Fender body without any problems at all.

As for tone, to be honest, while the neck can contribute very slightly to the tone of a Strat, the electronic components account for much more, then the bridge, then the nature of the wood in the body. My view anyway.

I've modded so many Teles and Strats, swapping around numerous necks, changing pickups, changing electronics, changing bridges. Never a problem interchanging Fender-branded necks and bodies.

I've gotten to the point where I don't like to even buy whole Fender guitars, as they never are quite what I would like them to be off-the-rack.

So, I buy take-off Fender bodies, take-off Fender necks, (usually from Stratosphere) and then individual pickups and other components (from eBay, Reverb, pickup winders, etc.) as seem suitable to the tones that I seek. Then assemble, just as a production line factory worker on the assembly line at Fender would do - except with a lot more attention to detail and care than a factory Fender might receive.

If you want different TONE from one of your Strats, look to pickup and pot value changes. If you want the feel of the EC neck, buy a neck with similar specifications. Then figure out what you might want to do to adjust tone to your liking.

Fenders are TOTALLY modular guitars and there is NO right, nor wrong, about mixing and matching components... aside from what pleases you.

There is no "correct" unless you feel constrained to adhere rigidly to attempting to copy an old instrument from a particular period - for whatever reason. I've never felt any inclination to adhere to or comply to anything other than making my guitars feel, sound, and look as I want them to. And in the end, that is what brings personal satisfaction.

Sorry for the ramble. I hope it helps in some way.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    LivingMyDream likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    People have been playing mix'n'match with Fender parts since the 60s. Just ask Eric and Jimi...

There is absolutely no need to exchange the whole guitar because you prefer a different neck profile. Try it, go back and forth if you have to, sell the other neck to recoup some of the money.

LivingMyDream and DHart like this.
  4. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    No problem swapping necks.

I have a Custom Classic strat which came with a stupidly skinny neck albeit beautifully flamed.

Swapped the neck out for a MIM Jimmie Vaughan Sig neck which I have on another strat as well. Bigger neck - bigger tone IMO.

I'll keep the custom shop neck in case I get stupid and sell the guitar but while I have it the thicker JV neck will remain on it.

Edit: By the way the JV is 9.5" radius but a bit thicker through than the EC neck.
    Bought both of mine from Stratosphere. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    LivingMyDream likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's some great advice / knowledge to have on the shelf ....thanks

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have bought one neck from the Fender website, other than not the exact tone I wanted, and I knew that going in, it fit perfectly and was all they said it would be. Go for it have fun, if it doesn't work out you can always put the original back on and use the new neck for a different project of sell it, not really going to lose much in the process other than time and a few dollars for a used neck sale.

Gretschmen65 and LivingMyDream like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice