Considering a Marshall

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    OK, I'm thinking mine is as well & I wasn't totally off on it having a low power mode, I was just misremembering it as being 3 way on a separate switch from the output selector. Does the back panel on yours have the same label for the switch/jacks that has Headphones\Low Power Mode on the left side of the switch? I noticed the manuals I'm finding have that label as just Headphones...

T Bone likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Right?! That’s a Lead12 v2 in the vid. I’m fortunate enough to have an original v1, Bass12, Lead20 and Lead30.
    Johan makes them sound amazing but every time he demos those little POS amps the prices double. It’s getting ludicrous.

T Bone and pmac11 like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Here's the back panel switch on mine :

[​IMG]

For the 10" cab speaker loudness :
    - When you switch on Headphones, you have the attenuator mode.
    - When you switch on Ext.Speaker 16R, you have the normal mode.

Another tip of interest @Sid Nitzerglobin : adding a filter choke on your Class5. It's quite a cheap an easy mod to do, and it makes the amp hum dead-silent. :cool:

A+!

T Bone and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    No hate for marshall here, loved my bluesbreaker, i agree there are better amps for lower vol. Practicing though

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Interesting... basically a handwired JCM800

6. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Electromatic

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    The only problem I have with Marshall is trying to sell them on again if you want to upgrade or get a different Marshall.

The market is flooded with the new DSL series for example and you will take a hit unless you have something like a JCM800/900 Plexi or something like that, but even then trying to sell them on isn't as easy unless they look really good condition.

So that's my take. If you buy a Marshall don't expect it to sell it off so quickly... if at all... and you are probably better off buying a used DSL than a new one because there are loads out there in mint condition that are used and just like buying it out of the warehouse brand new for half the price. People selling gear at half price indicates how much of that gear is around.

Silver Jubilees might be more what you are looking for.

hcsterg likes this.
  7. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Mine has the switch, is labelled just headphones. Tried it, it totally cuts the sound off when switching to headphones position, no attenuation to main speaker. I did find an online manual that showed the low power setting.

No attenuation on mine when switched to headphones, speaker is just off.

Fired it up to test it out, haven't played through it in years. Great little amp! Still sort of reminds me of a Plexi.

Hadn't played this Les Paul in many months, also cool to get hands on it again.

20191207_110716.jpg
    Man that thing does sound great! Looking around, looks like not a lot of them in the States? I'll keep my eye out for one.

thunder58 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  8. davenumber2

davenumber2 Electromatic

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    I really like the Origin 20C. Here's a good demo.

9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's true of any big brand amp. Shoot, even some great "booteeks" take a beating and are slow to sell.

The market is tough now. Lots of new and old stuff, any brand, but with fewer buyers than sellers.

Always an exception model, but overall, just not a good time to sell anything.

10. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I use a BlackStar Ht Club 40 all tube amp. Some guys from Marshall left and started their own company. I like it better than the Marshall I use to own. The 40 is very powerful and you can dial in just about any sound.
    It has several gain stages but breaks up really well on the clean channel which has two different stages very clean and the regular which can get breakup depending on how hard you play. There are lower wattage amps in their lineup than the one I have which I use for performing. I'm looking into a second lower wattage one for home. Give one a try. You might like it.

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My first amp was based on Marshall: Carvin half stack. As a teenager in an apartment, dont know what I was thinking. Fun as hell though.

12. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Electromatic

Jan 13, 2013
    Scottsdale AZ
    I've got a 50th Anniversary, 1 Watt, JCM2000 and I can't believe how happy it makes me! It wasn't the 1 Watt Anniversary Marshall I wanted, but I got a great deal on it so I popped on it. It's got 2 channels (clean and gain), effects loop, and .01 watt switch on the back. It also loves pedals. I would say it needs pedals. I'm not sure it's loud enough for a band, but for a jam/practice amp it's absolutely killer.

Had a Class 5, didn't love it. It was a one trick pony for me. Had a Vintage Modern 2266 which was a great amp, but it was heavy and too loud for my needs.

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    So if you would mainly use it for recording why not consider a JMP1?
    Absolutely professinal preamp. (Ask Mr. Gibbons.)

14. salvatore

salvatore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    The new Marshall Studio Vintage 20 amp head (1959 SLP ).
    These are switchable to 5 watts.

I got one two months ago and it mimics, as far as tone, my mid- nineties 100 watt 1959 SLP.
    I run mine into a closed back 2x12 cabinet.

I love the 5 watt feature.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice