Concert Expectations

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I love Gin. She and one of her guitarists also play Gretsch. They tour with a black 6120 and white falcom; she occasionally strums the falcon.

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Duffy makes me think of Amy Winehouse. And Amy herself could be thought of as a more gritty version of Macy Gray or even Anastasia. While that retro style R&B is already 2 decades old, looking like a drug addict never gets old, apparently.

drmilktruck and pmac11 like this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Sometimes it's alright to let the beast out. Controlled of course. It's funny how people get shocked about someone actually getting angry about something. Hope you enjoyed playing the new guitar.

4. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    There are definitely lousy people in the world.
    You are allowed to become annoyed, irritated, upset in a controlled manner. These are just emotions. It sure is better than holding it in and blowing a fuse later. Don't be to hard on yourself.

panhead6zero likes this.
  5. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I have plenty of canned music, CDs, DVDs. If I go to see an artist I like, they can do anything they want and I'll be happy.

In "Kitchen Confidential", Anthony Bourdain (rest his soul) said that a restaurant patron comes and orders his favorite meal and wants it the same as last time and does not want some young chef taking artistic liberties with it. That's not me. Experiment away, let's have it!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    pmac11 and Charlie westside like this.
  6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    LOL I'm not being hard on myself at all. People who know me know I'm generally really easy going...just don't mess with me and we'll be fine. I don't start trouble, don't go looking for trouble, but it sure can find ME! BWahahahaha

Charlie westside likes this.
  7. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    :D:cool:

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    As in any business it's a fine balance between serving the customer's wants, and and telling the customer what they want. In 2007, who knew people would want a mini computer in your pocket pretending to be a phone? New there are about 2.5 billion with that kind of phone.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Carlin played our theater. Funny as always, but really dark. This was only a couple of years before he died. He started pretty much on time. Our audiences are ALWAYS on time, and expect the show to start on time. Sting played once, started 90 minutes late (needed a massage) and half of the audience walked out and asked for refunds---and got them. On football weekends, back in the day, we'd do an 8PM and a 9.30PM variety shows. Three or four acts, comic, band---had some big names. Punctuality was a standard in our house. If the audience can show up on time, so can you.

As always---"The Show Must Go On".

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Maybe Canadians are less put off by waiting. After all, we live in a frozen wasteland where people are routinely delayed simply by the weather. Besides, in situations like that, it's not like I have anything better planned for the evening than seeing George Carlin live. May as well hang out in the comfy theatre and chat with my wife until he shows up. After all, an hour spent waiting for Carlin is still better than an hour of work.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

blueruins and aiabx like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's mellower up in the Great White North.

The uni I worked for is an engineering, science, technology and ag institution---and pretty right wing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    pmac11 likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's interesting how even so called "man of the people" can fall prey to the "my time is more valuable than your time." I saw Bruce Springsteen a few years ago. He was over an hour late. No apology, no explanation. I was just short of walking out.

A simple question - do you make flights on time? If yes, then being late is inexcusable. Obviously you can be on time, you just choose not to. That's rude. It all comes down to consequences. Being late for a flight is a major problem. Keeping thousands of people waiting is no big deal apparently.

13. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I saw Cheap.Trick supporting Def Leppard in Glasgow last December. Loved them! They are back in Glasgow next week on their own, but I can't make it!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

new6659, pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The anticipation is part of the show... on a transactional level, it's not like you've ordered a pizza, 30 minutes or free. Some things are worth waiting for.

Besides, did you have something better to do that night than see a generational talent, easily one of the greatest American artists of the past 40 years?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

JHall55 likes this.
  15. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I'd have been gone. Beyonce and her entourage pulled this garbage two nights in a row when she played the Glasgow Hydro a couple of years ago. Kids had come from miles and miles away to give her their money, last trains and busses were immobile bookends to the evening and lots of people had to leave just after she started, to get home, after parting with hundreds to see her. Yet she just wandered on without a word of acknowledgement that she'd ruined everyone's night. She got ripped to shreds in the media about it... quite justifiably. I can't stand people who do that. I'm sorry but I don't care who you are, you turn up at your work and you do your damn job.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blueruins, T Bone, MTurner and 3 others like this.
  16. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Possibly it's not the artist's doing. Might be a technical matter. I've had to reboot computers, create new local networks, repatch noisy mics, etc, in the minutes before show time, while the tour manager had the artists on hold backstage. It happens with technically complex shows.
    Also, some artists just can't be bothered with punctuality.

One of the times I saw Jeff Beck, he took an intermission, saying they'd be back with the 2nd half in 15 minutes. Twelve minutes after leaving the stage Jeff & band were back on, starting up the 2nd set.

17. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Agree 100%. It’s about respect.

Armygirl likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Well said. Based on the years I spent slugging it out in Bars I feel very confident in saying an Audience wants to hear what they know and fair enough, you’re playing for them.
    I particularly like your comment that the Artist has the right to do/play what they want BUT they don’t get to complain if it isn’t received well.

Ricochet, TSims1 and Armygirl like this.
  19. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Not making excuses, but George Carlin did keep a pretty hectic schedule, generally three shows in a weekend in three different cities. Ever depended on an airline to get somewhere at some certain time? I have, doesn't usually work out well.

pmac11 likes this.
  20. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    There are two outdoor venues near Detroit, Meadowbrook and DTE Energy Center (More well known as Pine Knob). Due to noise ordinances they have to finish at 10:30/11:00 pm. The artists start on the minute.

T Bone and wabash slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice