Concert Expectations

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 17, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I like Don’t Mess With the Sound Guy!

2. Maybe Jackie Chan can play the part. Jackie does good fight scenes.

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I saw that tour in LA. Bob was great, the band was great, yes, it was all of his hits done reggae style. It was a wonderful concert. If I want to hear the original arrangements I'll get the album. I thought changing everything was brilliant; kept it interesting for Bob & the band, & gave the audience a whole different perspective on well known songs. Bravo to Dylan for having the guts to upend peoples' expectations.
    Next time I saw Dylan it was all country-roots arrangements of his well known songs. Every bit as enjoyable as the reggae versions. Brilliant.
    Remember, this is the guy who went onstage at the Newport Folk Festival with a Strat & electric band.

4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I think an artist has the right to do anything they want including ignoring their hits or crowd pleasers. What they DONT have the right to do though, then, is complain about a drop in popularity, moving down the venue chain, decreasing ticket prices, or bad reviews.

Work is always about delivering what the boss wants from you. When you are a pop artist, the public is your boss. Deliver what they want, or receive a demotion. Either way is fine.

Stencil, T Bone, Robbie and 8 others like this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I remember an interview with Robert Fripp years ago. He argued musicians have no responsibility to their fans, only to themselves. He saw it as purely a two sided transaction. He produces or plays what he likes; you either buy the album or concert tickets or not. He seemed willing to accept the consequences.

I think that argument is definitely true when it comes to recorded music, but concerts are a little different as the purchaser of the tickets frequently doesn't know what the artist is going to play. If it's not what you expected, there's no recourse - you're out the time and money. Maybe requiring refunds if people complain and leave before some point in the concert would level the field.

Echocat23 and Charlie westside like this.
  6. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I can relate. We went to see Raul Malo for the second time and he was very political. I am not a giging musician, but I would not want to alienate 50% of my audience! Hope your day gets better Scooter!

T Bone and Charlie westside like this.
  7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    One thing is, if an artist only plays his/her old songs he's probably doomed. He needs to introduce his/her new stuff, and will rise or fail based on that. In fact, in many cases the tour is really happening to promote the new stuff.

aiabx, toddfan, wabash slim and 2 others like this.
  8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    The way my day ended, well, I should have just stayed in bed the whole day.

Went to Legion bike night (and bought another guitar, that was good) and when it was over and folks were enjoying too many beverages a guy made a really vile anti-semetic comment that was just full of hatred (I'm of Jewish descent...love the jokes but he wasn't joking) so I VERY sarcastically said "Well why don't ya just start stringing up a bunch of n-words while you're at it?" to get a reaction - I was going to point out what the anti-semite said was far, far worse and genuinely offensive to me (you have to go out of your way to offend me).

Nobody batted an eye until later, when some 60+ year old weird guy (who hangs with my GF's 25 year old son and other youngsters...odd) gave me a bunch of crap about it.

He'd clearly never seen me detonate before. Now he has. I would have preferred that yesterday didn't happen (other than the new guitar)

aiabx, ronbo, T Bone and 4 others like this.
  9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I agree 100%

Along the same line, I have a fresh out of college teammate who got bent out of shape because he spent a week writing some code to do XYZ and then management made a decision to go in a different direction. When he griped to me about it I told him "Ask yourself two questions. Who decides what we do, and, did you get paid for it? These things happen."

ronbo and Charlie westside like this.
  10. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    What a bummer! At an American Legion Hall?! WTF!! I am Italian/Irish. I like what Sebastion Maniscalco says about us, Jewish, Italian,, same corporation, different department! Glad you stood your ground! But sorry it happened.

Charlie westside and drmilktruck like this.
  11. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    It was on the back porch, kind of late at night. Had the dude spouted off his anti-semetic crap inside he'd get a month vacation for the post.

I'm actually a lot madder at the guy that gave me crap for what I said. He doesn't drink, the other guy most definitely does and was hammered and I am more than suspicious that he is a seasoned drug user, and I don't mean pot (although I know he smokes pot).

I admit I was not the pillar of sobriety, which is definitely one reason I went off. Otherwise it would have been a simple "Oh curse off."

Charlie westside likes this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    " Thing is, you're here for me. I'm definitely here for me. There's really no one at all here for you."
    - George Carlin, Roy Thompson Hall, Toronto. 2007.

Pretty much the same as a lot of successful musicians. They'll deliver the goods, just not always the way you'd like.

Carlin started an hour late. He was absolutely brilliant.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    aiabx likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Starting an hour late is unforgivable in my book. That shows contempt for the audience.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Armygirl, wabash slim and audept like this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    He's going to have to wear a fat suit if he wants to play me.

blueruins, T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  15. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Some people do not deserve the pillar of sobriety. The guy who gave you crap sounds useless to me...

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I had to Google her, but very nice stuff.

Gin makes me think of Duffy:

18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    You'd think so, but no one who saw that particular performance remembers much more than laughing for 70 minutes straight.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice