Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Compton Bridge for 6118 ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by guitarsark, Mar 31, 2017.

1. guitarsark

guitarsark Electromatic

Sep 24, 2011
    Boston
    I'd like to try a compton bridge on my 6118. Can they be used with a bigsby ?
    I am looking to warm up the tone a bit for jazz gigs. Maybe run flatwound strings also.
    which bridge material is best suited for this ? thanks

2. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes they can. Check out the website for sound samples for the various material. I have a chambered titanium on my 6118jr. Just be sure you are settled with the strings you use, including gauge and un/wound G, as they are made for your setup. Although I wound up switching to flatwounds with unwound G and the intonation is still good.

3. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I have an aluminum Compton on my G5420T (fixed bridge) and love it! I also use Pyramid flatwound strings. Seriously considering putting one on my 6119-1962 FT Tennessee Rose. I do like the space control bridge that comes with the Anniversary model, but I need the accurate neck radius that Compton provides.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Brass is best for "warm" Jazz sounds.

Aymara and TSims1 like this.
  6. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    What gauge strings are you using?

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have owned stainless steel, aluminum, and chambered aluminum. I LOVE Compton bridges, all my Gretsch guitars get them. As far as I know and as said above - brass is likely the best choice for jazzier tones.

8. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I'm using the Pyramid Gold Round Core 10's-.0465 (wound third) on both guitars at the moment, but due to the necks' shorter 45.6" length, the string gauge really feel like 9's to me. I'm seriously considering going up from 10's to 11's to make the strings a little more taut.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  9. guitarsark

guitarsark Electromatic

Sep 24, 2011
    Boston
    thanks everyone. i listened to the samples and I think I may go for stainless..

10. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You don't need a new bridge ... just Thomastik Jazz Swing ;)

And in case you want both, choose brass! I use both on my Panther, though I don't have a Compton, but an ABM 2400. The result is a very woody vintage tone with tons of overtones compared to other flatwounds.

PS: No wait ... steel might be better for the huge body depth of the G6118. Brass might sound too boomy in the bass department.

PPS: But the Thomastiks will have a more intense effect.

old mark likes this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Can I use a Compton that's cut for 11 gauge strings also for 10's or is that a bad idea?
    Thx!

12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I think, it's best to discuss that with Pops, but I would expect this to be easily possible. I had no issues with the True-Arc of my Falcon after I switched from .11s to .10s.

Stefan likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Love the nice sustain my Comptons give me.

6118 typically has the shorter scale. I have a Titanium on my 6119 and love it, but there is some inevitable loss of perfect intonation.

I can tolerate the intonation being slightly off with my longer scale 6119. But not so on my shorter scale 6128 - my ears just won't accept it. So I went back to a quality tune-o-matic on my 6128.

So if you're very sensitive to intonation and find yourself always noticing even the smallest detune on your best guitar, you might prefer a tune-o-matic in this case. Just one more data point for you...

14. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes, works the other way round as well.

Stefan likes this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Wayne, where are you?

16. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I know it! Im finally able to buy one too.

17. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Did you try to PM him? He won't necessarily see your message here.

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I emailed him at the CPT website. He's probably busy, im sure he'll get back to us.

19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Tried several times.