Clutch Draggin’ & the Lug Nuts post a strike

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    For the few, the brave and the strong (of stomach) :) Clutch and the Nuts will be in concert, one hour only at the Pima County Fair, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 10:30 AM, at the Corner Stage. You too can have your very own “Woodstock”. If you show up, you’ll have stories to tell your descendants.

Missed out on Jimi at Monterey or The Beatles at Shea? We can solve this problem, and for the price of a general admission ticket to the Fair and a few bucks for parking. You too will be able to say that you saw lightning strike continuously for one hour.

I Synchro, Cactus Andy, and Chuck the Drummer invite you to be part of the event of the decade, perhaps of the century. Pima County Fair Grounds, SE of Tucson, AZ. 10:30 AM, 04/27/2019. Be there!!! :)

Autographs will require a modest $200 service fee, per letter, and I always write out a long, personalized salutation with each autograph. Attending this event, or even having read the post above, legally obligates you to assign 50% of all future earnings to Clutch Draggin’ & the Lug Nuts, in perpetuity. If you like what you hear, tell your friends, if you don’t like what your hear, keep your troubles to yourself. Clutch Draggin’ & the Lug Nuts assumes no responsibilities for any items which might go missing from your car, during one of our concerts, but please let us know if there’s anything valuable in your car, complete with a vehicle description and GPS coordinates of where your car is parked, so our “security staff” can keep an eye on things. The above disclaimer was written for the Lug Nuts by the Law firm of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.

:) :)

2. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Sounds like an event that shouldn’t be missed!

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Wish I lived close by . Have a good time

4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    All of the terminally hip will be there. We expect a crowd of several. :)
    Should I send the band’s jet? :)

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

For those of us that can't make it, maybe you can post some video, with only a modest remuneration required for the privilege of viewing it. :)

Lionpotato likes this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I hope to have some vids made. It’s the debut performance of a great old Standard and I’m looking forward to the results.

Lionpotato and LivingMyDream like this.
  7. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sounds fun! Maybe I ought to make it out there and finally see Rainbow guitars while I’m at it

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It would be a perfect opportunity. I might even want to drop up to Rainbow myself, after the gig.

6124Bassman likes this.
  9. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Love to be there!

(Hate to have to tell you but that law firm’s a bunch of shysters)

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Good luck and have fun.

11. Thought it might have been a musicians strike. Best of luck with the gig. Dont drink the kool air and avoid the brown acid

12. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    Be sure to check out the "Winfield" amps at Rainbow :)

6124Bassman likes this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Indeed, the one music store on this continent where you can try a Winfield out.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Waiting impatiently for the concert documentary on netflix.:p

Enjoy yourself!

15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I guess I'll have to content myself with some of these fine videos. The lead guitarist is a fine player, not to mention devilishly handsome! :cool: Fun stuff, Mark & band.

Henry likes this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yep, I’ve been tripping over their camera operators for weeks now. Background footage, for the main event. :)

Thanks Jim. I hope that we have more to post after this concert.

We’re premiering a new (to us) tune, that is a standard for the ‘30s, a somewhat swinging version of All Of Me. Were also doing an old Western Swing tune, House of Blue Lights. I’d love to add more of this sort of timeless material. We already have a songlist which is a bit different from most bands. I just like to tackle songs that are different from what you hear in most places. Here’s the setlist:
    • You’re 16, You’re Beautiful and You’re Mine
    • King or the Road
    • Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way/Your Cheatin' Heart
    • Memphis
    • Pipeline
    • All of Me
    • Ain't That A Shame
    • Stormy (Classics IV)
    • The House of Blue Lights
    • The Poor Side of Town
    • One More Payment
    • All Over Now
    • Ruby Baby
    • Kansas City/La Grange
    • Ticket To Ride
    • Sunny
    • Stray Cat Strut
    • Penetration
    That’s one hour, with barely a breath in between each song. Last Sunday, we rehearsed that entire list in less than an hour. Then we all collapsed for about 30 minutes. :) It’s a slog, but I like doing it that way a lot better. The Eagles did that in concert; very little patter and just moved from song to song.

A couple of things we do differently is to change the overall feel of some songs.

You’re 16 is a great tune with classic changes. The E7, A7, D7, G7 changes in the chorus are challenging to play over and let me stretch out a bit. We do something akin to Ringo’s version, but the guitar solo is a full ride, verse, verse, chorus, verse. Nothing like working up a sweat at the beginning of the set.

I was in the early part of grade school when King of the Road was all over the airwaves. Being able to sing and play it is a dream come true. We remain in the sprit of Miller’s original song and the first verse is just bass, drums and vocals, not guitar.

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way is a Waylon tune, that Andy sings. It’s a driving, straight four feel and contrasts the music world of Waylon’s heyday with that of Hank Williams. Your Cheatin' Heart picks up on the Hank Williams theme and fits perfectly. It’s not truly a medley, just two semi related songs played with no real break between them.

Memphis put Johnny Rivers on the map, as he breathed new life into a Chuck Berry song that was fairly obscure. Rivers genius was his copious use of twangy guitar licks and his unusual voice, that of a New Yorker raised in the Deep South. It’s a very simple and satisfying song.

All of Me, as mentioned earlier, was a pre-war standard. I saw the Steve Martin movie of the same title a while back and cued on the jazzy version of the title song, as played at the end of the movie. It’s a wonderful song with interesting changes.

Ain’t That A Shame is done with a bit of a slow burn, bluesy and laid back. Cactus Andy does the vocals, and I just try to keep up my end of the bargain. Starting at measure 5 of each verse, I mimic the sax line of the original recording. An open sound: nowhere on earth do you get less sound per dollar spent than with the Lug Nuts.

One More Payment is a Western Swing song by Clint Black. It has a very interesting chord structure which lays nicely on the guitar neck in the key of E. Clint Black started out with a Steely Dan cover band.

All Over Now was done by The Valentinos and reached 94 on the charts, before The Rolling Stones released it as a single which hit #26 here and #1 in Great Britain. The Grateful Dead performed this in their live shows. I’m not sure where our version would lie, with regard to the history of the song. I don’t have any specific memory of hearing the song before the Lug Nuts formed, some ten years ago, but I just played what felt right and have changed the arrangement little over the years. I’d like to think that we have an energy similar to the Grateful Dead in our version, although when I sing the high harmonies I’m going for a Mick phrasing. Great tune.

I’m Speaking of Steely Dan, Ruby Baby was their sound check song, back in the ‘70s. Donald Fagan did a version on his 1982 Album, The Nightfly. The Lug Nuts go for the Donald Fagan approach and I even use a bit of Chorus on this one, for that authentic ‘80s feel.

Kansas City Blues has been on my setlists since the ‘70s and, being in the key of A, segues perfectly into La Grange, which we do in a strictly instrumental version.

Ticket To Ride is another slow burn Blues, set over a truly inspired set of chord changes.

Sunny was a somewhat jazzy Pop tune from the late ‘60s. This is another tune I’ve been playing for at least 40 years now. Much like the Classics IV material we do, Spooky and Stormy, I use my bare thumb instead of a pick and take the solo in octaves, reminiscent of Wes Montgomery.

wildeman, drmilktruck and loudnlousy like this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sounds like a fun set list. Wish I could be there. I’ll see when your tour hits Minneapolis!

18. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    The only other store is in Israel: Signal Chain :)

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    We’ll be hanging out in Edina. :) (I’m amazed how much I miss that place.)

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Well, it's over. We had a fairly good show. Most of our audience was off to stage left, under a covered area with picnic tables. We also had the short term attention of any number of passers by. What's left to say?

Cactus Andy, and out drummer, Chuck, did great. The band was together and tight. Gabe, the soundman, gave us a great mix and I could hear myself perfectly in the floor monitor. The G6119-62 sounded perfect, as well as my new Winfield Tremor amp, which may be the most perfect amp ever for my desired sound.

Speaking of the amp, when we debuted Riders on the Storm, I used the Tremor's bias varying tremolo and the effect was perfect. The amp has a solid bottom end, which really holds it together. Piped through the PA, it sounded like a huge amp. It was funny, because I was just turning around to turn the amp up a bit when Gabe cranked up the monitors and, suddenly, my little 12-14 watt amp sounded like a Dual Showman on steroids. Whatever we did, the amp held up its end.

Effects were almost exclusively the Stanley Blue Nebula, programmed with patches for almost all of the songs. The only exception was Your Cheating Heart, which used a Chet slapback, provided by an EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master.

Thanks to the guys in the band, to Joe Carducci and Gretsch and, especially, thanks to the folks over there at the picnic tables. We do it for you folks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice