Close to ordering a CS Duo Jet, help with electronics options

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Jun 8, 2019.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    OK so I want my Duo Jet to have Dynasonics, and I'm going with TVJ T Armonds instead of the Seymour Dynas. From what I can tell the T Armonds are more chimey and a bit brighter, which is what I want. I want this guitar for the following types of tones: Spaghetti Western, 50's RocknRoll, Roots Rock, Country, Harrison Duo Jet, 60's psych, and Shoe Gaze/Johnny Marr, and maybe a bit of Billy Zoom overdriven type raunch once in a blue moon. It will not be used to play "blooze" which the SD's may be a bit better for, so far as I can tell. Please let me know if you disagree, and why.

I've also read, compliments of Billy Zoom, that I should get:
    - 1 Meg Audio Taper Master Volume
    - 1 Meg Linear Taper Individual Volumes and Tone

Apparently the CS may not be inclined, but I need to confirm this, to install Linear Tapers, or they don't have them, or something. But if Audio Taper is all I can order for all the pots, what would be the practical difference without the linear taper as described above? Should I even worry about it?

Also, if the pots are 1 Meg, should I worry about specifying a No Load tone pot still? I think I know that this would be a "yes", but just to double check with y'all!

The Master Volume on my Proline Falcon Player's Edition is supposed to have a treble bleed mod on it, but it still gets too dark for my taste. Is there a superior treble bleed set up that I can specify?

Also, I think I'll be going with a non pinned bridge, or a easily reversible pin job if it can be done so that I can opt for different bridges and string gauge.

Lastly, I'm torn on the regular Gotoh Vintage-Style Tuners..I almost want something with closed back, but are those open back tuners good to go? Part of me wants to even go locking tuners, but it may kill the vibe too much, and my Jazzmaster and Doheny don't have locking tuners and with a nice string tie and wrap I have no tuning issues..although those are straight pull, inline tuners.

I've also added the build specs in case you are interested below. Please feel free to comment on any particularly bad decisions that you identify :)

Model

Masterbuilt G6128CS 1957 Duo Jet Relic

Masterbuilder

Stephen Stern

Finish Color

- Aged Tahitian Coral Finish Top with Aged Tahitian Coral Headstock (MATCHING HEADSTOCK)

- White Back, Sides, and back of Neck

- Gold Sparkle Binding top, neck, headstock

Finish Type

Closet Classic Relic, WITH Checking, but NO nicks/gouges/buckle rash

Weight

7.5 - 7.75 lbs. (<7.8 lbs)

Top Wood

Arched Laminated Maple

Body Wood

Chambered Mahogany Body

Neck Wood

Mahogany

Neck Shape

Standard Neck Shape; 12 inch radius; 1-11/16" Width Bone Nut

Neck Dimensions

.880 1st - .980 12th

Fingerboard

Indian Rosewood

Inlays

Mother-of-Pearl Hump Block

Nut Material

Bone

Frets

Frets sized like on the Gretsch Falcon Player’s Edition, or a size similar to like what is on my 2014 Custom Shop Wildwood Les Paul - if possible

Headstock

Matching Aged Tahitian Coral Headstock; Gold Sparkle Binding; Squared Horizontal Gretsch Logo in Gold Sparkle Writing

Pickups

TV Jones T-Armonds Dynasonics

Controls

Master Vol with treble bleed circuit, Neck Vol, Bridge Vol, P/U Selector Switch and Tone Control

Hardware

Aged Gold

Bridge

Rocking Bar

Tailpiece

Gretsch V type B3 Bigsby with NO tension bar

Tuners

Gotoh Vintage-Style Tuners

Case

Hardshell Case

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    My 2015 sparkle Jet came with a Kinman style treble bleed, and it works really well. I think the TArmonds are a good all round choice, especially with 1 meg pots. I've been more impressed with mine since I fired up my Princeton Reverb build; I'm used to having tweed amps kicking around, and the middy pickups are not rally a great match.

I don't know if you considered it, but mine came with a matt ebony fingerboard with block markers. Looks way nicer than regular rosewood.

rdsp.jpg

NJDevil, T Bone, BorderRadio and 4 others like this.
  3. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Man what a killer sparkle jet!

Good to hear that you like the T Armonds with your Princeton! I totally get what you say about some tweeds being too mid heavy for certain pickups, T Armonds included apparently!

I mainly play a Princeton Clone (Vintage Sound 15) and a Goodsell Super 17 Mark IV (with is super bright and chimey, and voiced more toward the blackface side of the spectrum) so these should tame any increased mids from the T-A's. That tweed mid bark sure is awesome with Tele's though!

You know..for some reason I didn't think of ebony! My Falcon has an ebony board and I love it. I live in North Arizona and haven't had any issues with the Falcon's board since I've acclimated it to drier air, I keep the humidity it in the mid 30% realm. But I thought ebony is more susceptible to dryness..so maybe that's why it never even occurred to me to order it with an ebony board, which I would generally prefer. But my Falcon is doing well, so maybe I will go for Ebony! Thanks for the reminder about Ebony! I have to see what how much it will bump up the quote, but it shouldn't be too much.

4. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I would rethink the fretboard wood.
    To my ears ebony will get you in a more sparkly direction tone-wise.
    And (thank you CITES) not using rosewood will make travelling internationally a lot easier.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  6. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd ensure I got the 2" thick body with vintage chambering too.

7. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    UD, that Jet of yours is perhaps the prettiest Gretsch guitar I have ever seen. Was it a limited run of some kind, or is it from the Custom Shop?

8. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    It's a limited run of 57 worldwide, the G6129 rdsp ltd

9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I have 3 no, 4 guitars with locking tuners. While they are great at what they do, I think their the largest benefit is ease and speed of string changes. I think their need in tuning stability is somewhat over thought and under realized.

IMO the single most important component for tuning stability (especially on a trem equipped guitar) is a quality, properly cut nut. While I have nothing against locking tuners, I also have nothing against quality standard tuners. If you think lockers would kill the vibe, forget them.

Another vote for the Ebony board. I have several with Ebony, it is by far my favorite fretboard material.

10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I will go with Ebony. I live in Arizona and, yes, I've confirmed that the conventional wisdom is that Ebony is more likely to crack in extreme arid air, but from my research this would happen when the humidity is really low, like below 20%. I've acclimated my guitars to the mid 30% range and they are doing very well, including my Falcon with an Ebony board. So, Ebony it is!

I totally agree about the nut as it relates to tuning stability. I'm going with non locking tuners so hopefully the CS can cut a good nut!

T Bone and loudnlousy like this.
  11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I think the CS does Duo Jets this way but great point, I shall emphasize that for sure!

12. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Another question:

Does TV Jones have a specific wiring harness for the T Armonds?

13. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

The nitro out of the CS is just dreamy and smells wonderful, at least to my schnoz. Much nicer than my Gibs, VI Jazzmaster and other nitro'd Falcon. Acclimating your guitars to 30% though...scares me

14. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Guitar smells can be wonderful, can't they!

Humidity level wise, they've been doing fine for 6 months now at 35-37% (with occasional short drops to 32%).

Actually let me address my Humidity saga as it may help others that are worried about humidity (as I was, and still am):

Based on my research and talking to a good luthier about it before I moved to AZ (Matt Eady in Athens GA, highly recommended) guitars will do fine in the mid 30's if acclimated slowly. Rapid changes are what you really have to worry about most, temperature and humidity wise.

I aim for 35 -37% which has thus far been drama free. If it drops, which will happen occasionally in my guitar room, to 32-33% I won't take guitars out of the case until I bump up the humidity to at least 35% by turning up my humidifier. I do keep them in a case all the time.

When I moved, I traveled across the country in the dead of winter and it took 4 days. Guitars stayed in their cases outside in a U Haul trailer. It was freezing, with snow outside, and very dry as you can imagine. I did bring my two Custom Shop Historics, that rode inside my car, into the hotel room, but the rest of my guitars, including my Proline Falcon stayed in the trailer. Then I kept them in their cases in my new home where the humidity was around 25-29% for about a week. Then I humidified to about 35% when I finally got my humidifier out and still kept them in the case for another week or so.

When I took them out they were stellar with no problems. No checking (I wouldn't have minded in my nitro guitars, and the ones that are checked already..well I can't tell :D), and I was even shocked to find that there weren't even drastic neck relief shifts!

In the meantime, over the many months, my G&L Doheny has developed a bit of noticeable fret sprout. My luthier told me to expect this with the guitars, and if/when it happens (I'm actually surprised that I really haven't noticed any bothersome sprout with any of the others), to just have someone file the fret ends down and then they'll be good to go.

Interestingly I took the Doheny on a road trip to CA last week and the Huntigton Beach weather, with humidity too high at times in the 70-75% range, improved the sprout in about a week or so! Well now we're back home, and it's been a few days, so I'll take it out probably today. It will be interesting to see what happens to the sprout, or how long it will take for me to notice it again..but I think I'll be traveling back to O.C. CA at the end of the month again, so the Doheny will be a good test subject for changes in humidity going back and forth.

I will say that it is good to have a few "road horses" that can be taken into the wild without worrying too much about them if something does happen. I gave up gigging for a long time now but a beater gigging guitar that can brave beer spills, thrown fireworks, vomit, out of control singers, flying cymbal stands with cymbals attached, stage invaders and divers, and other chaos, not to mention temperature and humidity shifts, is a great tool to have. This CS Duo Jet shan't be this type of a guitar, most definitely! :)

15. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Ricochet likes this.
  16. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Yup, and this little girl is delicious.

The Falcon’s poly and bright white. Bo’s a vintage white and nitro and they're both out of the Terada factory.

All 3 a different shade but the Penguins finish feels and smells better than any I’ve ever owned. To me it’s the nicest shade as well. Stephen Stern and his guys did an outstanding job.

Curious why (and thanks for all that) if you’ve got a humidifier, you don’t just run the RH at 40-42%.

I keep it there as much more and I’ve got window condensation issues (old house, they need replaced).

5ABE2A4B-B5E8-41EB-8F94-247B2035F8AF.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Stunning trio! Thanks for posting that picture. What type of dynas in the penguin and falcon, and what filters in the Bo, and how do you like them?

40-42% is perfect, but because it is generally much drier here I decided to acclimate them to that lower humidity so that they don't have as much shock when I leave town and can't run the humidifier and the humidity drops to the low 30's. I leave them cased in a cabinet with a bowl of water in there with a hygrometer that records the min and max range; thus far it has not dropped below 32% in there, when I've been gone. A tray with water and a sponge is something I may try in the future if needed. Also I may do some gigs around town and again I thought acclimating the wood to a bit drier humidity would help. And since they've done well I've just stayed with this.

dafreeze likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great trio!

dafreeze likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice