Cliff Gallup Signatureand the history of Duo Jet

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Darren1982, May 19, 2019.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

It wasn't actually called a '55 reissue. Look for G6128T-DSV and you'll find plenty of them out there and info on them.

Wozob and macatt like this.
  2. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    That's right:
    G6128T-DSV
    I don't know about them being very available though. I looked around on Google and keep running into "no longer in stock", "sold" etc.
    Mine's not for sale.

S Mac

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    The G6128T-DSV is no longer being made by Gretsch, so look for used. I believe less are sold than other Jet models, but they are out there.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I had a Dyna-Gakki made DSV for a while. Lacquer finish, V-profile neck, aged binding; very nicely done.

5. afire

afire Country Gent

No, I agree that they're not all over the place. But they made enough of them that with a little patience and effort it shouldn't be hard to find a used one at a reasonable price. Here's one:

https://reverb.com/item/22359809-gretsch-duo-jet-g6128t-dsv-2005-black

6. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The OP is in the UK. You can add another 25% in shipping and taxes. Zoiks.

7. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Yep UK. So that will bring the price up!

Not sure how many are in the UK?

Is the guitar that good to spend an extra 25% though? And how would it compare it to a 6228 in tone, playability and feel?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Duo Jets can be found for around £14-1500 in the UK but dyna versions don't turn up as much as filtertron ones.

Playability and feel are subjective. You need to go and try some out.

9. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Gretsch G6128T-53

Would this be the closet in spec to try out?

10. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  11. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    @Uncle Daddy Sorry how does the 53 vintage select compare to the v G6128T-DSV

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The DSV is rare in the UK, whereas you can score a new 53vs, which is probably equally rare used at the moment. The look similar, but the VS differs in
    • Thicker 2" body
    • More weight relief
    • Vintage chambering
    • U profile neck
    • TV Jones t-armonds
    • Poly finish
    • Pickguard shape
    • Bridge type
    They probably play equally well, though t-armonds are more middy than dynamics. The vintage chambering on the VS is supposed to make the guitar a bit lighter and a bit more lively, though I can't really felt a lot of difference.

The VS would make a great guitar, the DSV much the same with a few minor differences. The DNA is the same on both. Comes down to price and availability. I'd see the VS as a lifetime guitar if you buy new; IF you can score a used one for the right price you'll get a lot of guitar for your money.

If you're used to modern necks, you might find the vintage V on the DSV a bit cramped depending on your hand size and playing style. I have short fingers and couldn't get on with it so returned the one I had. Another member here grabbed it from the shop, and gets on fine with it, so... At least with the VS, you can order one online and return it if you don't like it.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  13. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Interested in more about necks. I have a soft V on my tele and a U on my gretsch Duo Jet players audition. I’m happy with both. But what’s the V like on the dsv?

Did I read somewhere the DSV has vintage frets and the 53 has bigger frets? Medium Jumbo? Is the 53 have a similar neck to my 6228?

14. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't know if that's right or not, but it actually would be consistent with the originals. Up to around '53 or so Gretsch used pretty wide low profile frets, not unlike Gibson's "fretless wonder" frets. By the mid-'50s they had switched to skinny and relatively tall frets.

15. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    I was reminded.
    It's officially named G6128T Duo Jet DSV. (stands for Dynasonic Vintage)
    I got a great deal on it and no, it's not for sale.

S Mac

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice