Cliff Gallup Signatureand the history of Duo Jet

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Darren1982, May 19, 2019.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Has anyone own one of these or played them?

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/product...MIr-n-7rqo4gIVy53tCh3GHgxBEAYYASABEgI67PD_BwE

Can you guys confirm that this has Nitro Black Lacquer and Nitro Gloss back and sides? This will age nicely over time?

Will a customshop version (similar specs) Be that much different? I was looking more towards a customshop duo jet to get the whole vibe, nitro mojo... this might tick most boxes. Only trouble it someone elses name on the headstock :)

2. Filtertronico

Filtertronico Gretschie

Aug 26, 2014
    Germany
    Beautiful guitar!Unfortunately I don't own one...yet:D!! Please also bare in mind that this model has stock Dynasonic Pickups...the 6128-53 has T Armonds...If you go Custom Shop - they will build whatever you want them to build as long it's a Gretsch - it should come with Seymour Duncan Dynas...at least thats what i would order... I have seen a few used CS G6128s on sale lately for about 4000-4500 Euros here in Europe. If you are willing to order a brand new CS then there is also the possibility or buying an original vintage G6128 for the same amount of money (which should also give you some mojo)...

Merc likes this.
  3. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Vintage or CS thats another debate. I like the idea of CS to be honest. Everything is new and in fully working order and will play better IMO

Now is there any good reading material on the History and changes of the 6128?

I'm a fender tele purist and i'm not a fan of new things they do. Body Contours, different saddles and bridges. I think the tele should be left!

What about the duo jet? Do purist hate the fact a TOM bridge is used? Brodton Pickups rather than T Armonds?

Was there a golden year for the Duo Jet? I would to order a CS to more of an original design but would to know more about each year. Any info would be useful!

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Modern Gretsch nitro is applied very thinly over a poly basecoat; it won't age or crack like old nitro, and if you scratch it it's difficult to polish without creating a shiny spot or tidemark. Side by side with a poly finish, you can't see a difference from 3 feet away. At least with poly you can buff out minor scratches.

There have been complaints that custom shop nitro is too grippy on the neck; never owned one, so can't clarify that.

Here's a rundown on the modern lineup-http://gretschpages.com/forum/moder...-three-series-compared-in-detail/66277/page1/

Broadtron pickups are not vintage correct, being modern humbuckers. A closer fit is the T-Armond, which is wound closer to vintage spec than the modern Grestch Dynasonic.

Jena likes this.
  5. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    BTW, the Cliff gallup sig is no longer in the lineup, being more or less replaced by the 53VS. That one in the UK may well be a future collector's item, if you can hold onto it for long enough.

6. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Thank so much! That’s a great read. Very informative.

I think I need to go and try some vintage select models then go from there.

Interesting to read the Players Edition has a slallow neck set. I guess will effect the playing position of the right hand compared to vintage models.

The players edition are very easy to play.

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As I understand it, the tops of many Jets were made of Gretsch-drum-wrap. Thats a plastic foil. It will not age like any kind of laquer.

Jena likes this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

It depends on your preference. Most collectors prefer the single cut Jets from '53 to '60. If you like DeArmonds, the two years that bring something of a premium would be '53 and '57. '53 because they're unique with the early script logo as well as a couple other features unique to that year that show up on some, but not all - a metal logo on the lower bass bout, and a fixed post bridge. '57 because they have the humpblock inlays like George Harrison's Duo Jet. If you prefer FilterTrons, then '59 or '60, which are pretty much the same.

9. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Script logo was just ‘53? I know they have the vintage select 53 but I read the Jet didn’t come out until 54?

10. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Like car number plates, the 54s would have been made late 53. I get a feeling you're overthinking this!

11. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The modern versions are lacquered over the drum wrap. Gotta stop those sparkles falling off!
    rdsp.jpg

new6659 and loudnlousy like this.
  12. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Thats a fine looking gretsch.

CustomShop? What bridge is that? or saddle bar?

13. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    That is a Gretsch rocking bar bridge, though mine has been changed for a True Arc version of the same. I went on to change it for a Bigsby compensated bridge, like the one of the Cliff Gallup version. I prefer the clang from the alloy bridge over the s/steel.

Not custom shop, but a limited edition from a couple of years ago, the 6129LTD RDSP. One came to the UK (mine!), but there's one more now that was privately imported. One of 57 worldwide.

14. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Ok this is another thing to learn! Bridges and tailpieces...

So you have a compensated bridge now? Tru arch? I guess a TOM is just wrong.

Also I love the look of the G Tailpiece, what bridge best compliments that? In 54 what would it have been?

The rocking bar looks simple and beautiful

15. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    My current bridge is modelled on the 50s compensated bridge made by Bigsby. They rock backwards and forwards when using the Bigsby to help with tuning.

The first Jets came with the fixed G cut out tail piece, with the Bigsby as an option.

16. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I considered a Custom Shop Jet ('55 Silver Jet), but came to the conclusion I'd rather have two prolines for that money. I don't care much for nitro finish on a solid body and it's hard to improve on the quality of a Japanese made proline.

Lionpotato, new6659 and loudnlousy like this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

Yep, the script logo was only for '53. And they were definitely out in '53. Here's the bill of sale for SN 11915:
    [​IMG]

And here's the inspection tag for one I used to own, SN 12013:
    [​IMG]

thunder58 likes this.
  18. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    There was a Duo Jet known as a '55 reissue that was an unofficial Cliff Gallup model without signature.
    It came with two Bigsby handles, one of them fixed, one swivel. It was finished in nitro and was a couple hundred dollars more new than typical Jets of the time.

I bought mine used in great shape.
    It's a 2004 model and I swapped out one pickup for a TV Jones Classic Filtertron in a Dyna sized housing. I flipped the other Dyna around in it's rout. I added a Compton bridge.
    Bought it here for $1,550 or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    S Mac

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yes , I must agree here with filtertronico . Beautiful but I don't own one either ..... but someday

20. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Thats superb! Thinking of selling? :)

Cant find any info on the 55 reissue? Are they quite rare?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice