Chuck Berry, one of my favorites BUUUT

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Wow. I never really listened to the Stones aside from a few songs so I have no idea on this conflict thing. Most people likely didn’t realize it was a different key and thought Jagger couldn’t sing. Maybe Richards picked up the idea from Chuck.

2. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    When I use to listen to Imus, one of his guys had seen Van Morrison in NY and his comment was "Usually the crowd is more drunk than the performer."

dlew919 likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

I've only seen that movie once, probably 15 years ago, but I remember thinking to myself, I don't blame Chuck, and not understanding how Keef wasn't getting what Chuck was saying. IIRC, he was starting the bend on 1 instead of the "and" of 1, which sounded almost square compared to the right way.

4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Electromatic

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Let's not overlook the fact that he is African American. Some of the stuff that happened to Chuck happened because of race. He was loved because of his race but he was also vilified because of race and through it all, as one post mentioned, his music is upbeat. Perhaps we should recognize and acknowledge that African Americans are not treated as equal citizens in our country. Granted, some of the stuff he brought upon himself and he did get away with a lot of stuff but all things being laid out and equal racism played a huge part in how he was treated. Think about how you'd feel if you created songs that were covered by other bands and the other bands not only got paid but got credited for the work you did? I think we'd be pissed. I know I would be.

pmac11, ALS57, RomanS and 4 others like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Hear hear!

6. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
  7. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Dear girls and guys, it really doesn't matter a monkey's what we think of the man, believe or disbelieve the stories surrounding him, what matters is what he left behind.
    Rock 'n 'Roll is Chuck Berry PERIOD!
    If you're a rock 'n' roll guitarist - of ANY level then it's virtually impossible NOT to integrate some of his riffs and fills into your playing if you want to play rock 'n roll!
    For me personally, he personified and almost single handedly (without realising it) invented guitar rock-'n'-roll.
    Just listen to the intro to Johnny B. Goode and try to emulate the sound, the timing (what the hell was he thinking!!!!) and the simple way in which he slides back from the forefront before the intro 'solo' is actually finished before blasting into the vocals.
    We in UK in the 50s and 60s were led to believe that rock 'n' roll was Bill Haley.
    It wasn't.
    Chuck Berry was!

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's normal : Richards never knew to play guitar and never will - he still misses the bass E on what serves him as a"guitar"... Excusez du peu ! :D;)

A+!

Henry likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    :cool:
    Amen brother!

JeffreyLeePierre and Sabato like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We saw him play with Dylan. I think the sax player led the band, and would start the song. Van would wander on stage when the singing starts, then leave when the singing stopped. He sounded fine but it definitely felt phoned in. He must have needed the money as he didnt seem to be having fun.

dlew919 likes this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    My wife and I saw him once in Boston, he was great, played a soprano sax and some other instruments. We always liked his singing, but up close and personal it was spectacular.

dlew919 likes this.
  12. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    ROFL, he looks like he's expecting to get yelled at, again.

upload_2019-9-11_13-3-39.png

My favorite video moment of his is the look on his face when Yoko starts in with her screeching at about 1:15. Disclaimer: I truly cannot stand Yoko Ono. "Artist" my butt.

Same song as what you posted, too lol.

Telechamp and 5120mantis like this.
  13. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    I really like Chuck Berry's guitar solos and lyrics. His solos seemed simple, but they all fit the song with great subtlety. His lyrics were very colloquial to the time but he used them in the manner of a great poet.

I saw him play at UVA at Charlottesville in 1972. Bad attitude and band. Nonetheless, the genius of his his songs shown through.

I recommend finding a copy of "Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll". This is a good documentary. It addresses most of the Keith Richards episodes. I think the Bruce Springsteen interview is included.

Lee

RomanS and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Shout Factory is releasing “Hail Hail Rock n’ Roll” on Blu Ray soon!
    I really hope it has all of the behind the scenes stories about the trials and tribulations of what it was like making the documentary. It’s just as interesting as the movie itself.
    I’ll definitely be picking up a copy!

RomanS and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  15. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Bob Dylan who knows what he's talking about in such matter considers Chuck Berry as one of the greatest contemporary American poets.

Already have a 2-DVD set with that documentary plus 53 minutes of rehearsal shootings. And, yes, the making of is great.

RomanS and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Wow, the footage with John Lennon is just embarrassing. Right at the start, Chuck pulls a great expression when the drummer comes in early....like OOH, it's gonna be like that then

17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, so you know what I’m talking about! Aside from the Clapton appearance, it’s great movie!

18. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    And totally on Chuck's side with Keef. The tension starts as Keith suggests he should play the lead breaks as 'it'll be easier for Chuck to just play rhythm while he sings'. Yeah right. Then he makes a mess of the lead breaks! I'd have held Chuck's coat

RomanS likes this.
  19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    One of my preferred moments: when he introduces Julian Lennon on stage naming him John Lennon... Errrmmm Julian Lennon!
    :D

calebaaron666 likes this.
  20. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I'm old enough to have a friend that played in a "pick up" band for Berry. He demanded that the local promoter paid in cash and found a band that knew his songs. After people like Alan Freed (sp) screwed him over buy claiming writing credits, I think he was just bitter and didn't care. I think he enjoyed telling the band 30 seconds before he started that it would be in a key that nobody knew and it would take the most of the song to figure out what the chords were.

Remember, there was no internet or apps and any info we had was usually very old. So his reputation was not known like it is today. Any of us that heard him live will tell you it almost always sounded lousy.

Great songs to be sure and he was a great talent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice