Chuck Berry, one of my favorites BUUUT

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Sep 7, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    LOL wow some of you guys are wound too tight (like Berry). If some drunk at a bar picked up my guitar, that's one thing... but if it was a PEER.... and a professional guitar playing peer who idolized me... just face it: Berry was a *****. And he could be, he got away with it his entire life , it seems.

Lots of ****** like that among pro musicians. We've all heard the stories (I have, and from my close friends who have personally dealt with many of them.)

2. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I never met Chuck Berry, but I did play with two people who played in his pickup bands so what I'm saying is second hand. First, I was told he used pick up bands because he was cheap; apparently the promoters provided the bands and he didn't pay them out of his own pocket. The second thing I was told was that he would just start a song, not tell them what the song was or the key and they had to figure it out. Both people told me he was a real jerk and I have no reason to believe they would lie about it.

3. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Electromatic

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I can side with the cheap thing certainly, as I'm a typical Dutch Guy. But if I'm doin' my best to sound my best and look my best, I want my band behind me!!

5120mantis likes this.
  4. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yup... Springsteen talked about that a lot in various interviews. The "E" Street Band backed up Chuck Berry way back in the day, before they really hit it big. Bruce said that they rehearsed and rehearsed every CB tune that they knew. When it was showtime, CB switched keys on them, and they quickly had to adapt and back him up.

ruger9 and 5120mantis like this.
  5. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    There's nothing wrong with being frugal, but when your performance suffers, you're being cheap.

pmac11 and S.R.Cash like this.
  6. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Unprofessional, actually.

ruger9, hogrider16 and 5120mantis like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Tis the impression I get as well.

hogrider16 and 5120mantis like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Missed opportunity to mentor a group of guys who no doubt looked up to him and could have been friends and allies for life.

5120mantis and S.R.Cash like this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Oh man, who cares?
    Berry was an SOB, but he also wrote better songs than any of us ever ever will.

I always took that “Keith get’s punched” story as just another Keith Story, as in most definitely exaggerated.

Also, one of the Stones’ first HUGE hits was their cover of Berry’s Carol. That’s why i think it’s hilarious that many many years later, Berry takes extra time in the “Hail Hail Rock n’ Roll” documentary/concert movie to give Richards a hard time about playing the intro correctly. “Do you wanna do it right?”

10. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Using a jet in this clip

Rusty Silver and calebaaron666 like this.
  11. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I listened to Chuck Berry's studio version and the Stones version and they are pretty close. I think Chuck just likes to complain. If he's like most artists from that era he probably got screwed 6 ways to Sunday.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Absolutely.
    If you’ve seen Hail hail Rock n’ Roll you’ll see the scene. It’s hilarious. Chuck doesn’t like the way Keef does the bend in the intro and makes him do it over and over until he gets it right.

Also, Berry managed to extort a LOT of cash from the production of that movie. He’d fail to show up to shoot an interview on location somewhere. Hours late, he’d call the closest payphone and ask for the director. When the director got on the phone, Chuck would tell him that he’ll show up for $300 cash. Haha they had no choice but to pay him or else the movie wouldn’t get made.
    Berry is KING!

13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’d chalk that up to either a bad sense of humor, acting like an a__, or both. Either way that’s not right for any artist to do while swapping keys for a paying crowd. It can give a sub par performance.

Butch Ammon and new6659 like this.
  14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    It seems to me that Chuck resolved to get even and make his life a statement.

He was never going to be taken advantage of again and he was going to treat others the way he felt they had treated him.

15. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    from everything I've heard/seen/read etc., makes Van Morrison seem like a nice guy

5120mantis, NJDevil and dlew919 like this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Chuck Berry is The God of Rock'n'Roll.
    All the others - even famous - rank only second, and lower.
    I do not speak about all the following 60s British bands : they have nothing to do with Rock'n'Roll.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

pmac11, RomanS, dak55 and 2 others like this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Was Van a jerk? The only thing I ever really heard about him was he was basically an agoraphobe, and suffered from stage fright. I've never heard anything about him, being a jerk or not...

18. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    He can be prickly. He will okay whatever he wants and end right on the 30 minute mark walking off mid song.

The press may be worse than the reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I guess i'd be bitter too if i wrote the rock n roll bible and the only #1 they let me have was my ding a ling...

calebaaron666 and dlew919 like this.
  20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    At the heights of Richards vs Jagger conflict, back in the 80s, Keith Richards also used to play tricks with the key so that the song gets too high for Mick Jagger's voice range. In front of stadium crowds!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice