Chris Fleming Tweed Deluxe 5e3

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 6124Bassman, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I see. But they do sell mediocre China tubes under the TAD name, right? That's how I learned about the whole brand, new production tubes. I've had some, but not anymore.

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As I understand it, all tubes are made in China or Russia today.
    I would be very astonished if there would be a European or US production of vaccum tubes (due to enviroment standards).
    The retailers only preselect them for quality, put together bundles of matching values and brand them with their logo.

The TAD Tubes that I had in the past were all top-grade. Never heard of bad quality when it comes to TAD stuff.

JHowdy likes this.
  3. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Electromatic

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    China, Russia, and Slovakia are the only three modern day manufacturers of tubes. A little scary but as long as there is a market someone will capture it. TAD screens Russian and Chinese tubes and dictates their specs in some instances. My experience with TAD is excellent.

JHowdy likes this.
  4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    @loudnlousy & @Lionpotato

I know. I just prefer an original brand new or NOS tube. You don't want to buy cars with "world" engines, do you? I don't, maybe I'm old fashioned then. Just try to bear me.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I tend to go for a NOS JAN rectifier tube as the voltages are vintage correct and they last forever. I understand the JJ5Y3 also has the correct voltage, but the Sovtec and Chinese stuff can be over powered, which affects the amp tone. New Tungsol power tubes, they've never let me down, and whatever pre-amp tubes are handy.

Lionpotato and JHowdy like this.
  6. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There is not one original brand left outside China or the eastern Countries, Juhani.
    They are all relabeled.

JHowdy likes this.
  7. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Frank, I did mean the few new production tubes like JJ (factory relocated in Slovakia?), Russian Sovtek (not very high quality) or Svetlana (better). I understand that these too are modernised versions of the original makes or models, or sometimes copies of some original western tube model. For example I'm using modern Russian copies of the Genalex Gold Lions in my hifi system, I found them even better than Svetlanas. What's the difference then to the China copies? Very vague I guess, but to my knowledge there is no original high quality Chinese brand that any us would know of. Or ar least I haven't heard of such thing.

I've tried a few NOS tubes both in my hifi and guitar amp, like Sylvania, GE, Reflector (that the US guys nicknamed here as Red Oktober). Some of them bring nothing special, except alleged long lasting reliability, but some of them really make a difference to the sound. For example NOS GE 6V6GTs sound better than the Russian NOS mil spec 6P6s equivalents.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Lionpotato likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Oh yeah, NOS GE 6V6's are great, as are the RCA's if you can spend the money. I have 50 year old original's still running.

Lionpotato and G5422T like this.
  9. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There were a lot of very high quality tubes in the old times. Still got some Siemens EL34.
    But if you do not want to search high and low for a NOS tube (and do not want to be ripped off by sellers who sell defective or worn-out ones) you got to run with which is available. And the relabled tubes sold by TAD, Mesa Boogie, EHX, Groove Tubes etc. are at least quality-preselected. So the utmost junk will not land on your table when you buy there.

Lionpotato likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've got several "oldies" in my stash. In a 5E3 circuit, my ears still like the coke bottle Marconi-Westinghouse the best.

Second does go the the RCA's, especially the blackplates.

JAN GE's sound good too, and I really like the Brimars.

Everyone's ears hear differently, and which speaker the tubes are working with makes a difference too.

One thing for sure, these old tubes can live a really long life compared to modern production tubes.

I'm just lucky and happy that I have a little stash to work with.

Lionpotato likes this.
  11. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Always a risk with the "NOS" tubes and I've heard there are forgeries available too. Big boys say that every manufacturer makes some defective tubes. So far all my old, NOS or not, tubes have worked well, so I've been lucky.

Lionpotato and loudnlousy like this.