Chris Fleming Tweed Deluxe 5e3

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 6124Bassman, Dec 31, 2018.

1. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    So someone in my area has a Tweed 5e3 deluxe that was supposed to be hand wired by Chris Flemings, the master builder from the fender custom shop. It is built with mercury transformers, celestion alnico blue, and and "oversized" deluxe cabinet. It looks like a pretty sweet amp from the pics, I'll get a chance to play it soon. They said that they will get me some documentation tomorrow sometime, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has heard of these amps before? I saw an ad on reverb from a while back that mentioned Chris Fleming builds amps on the side occasionally. It was a tweed deluxe similar to this one but with a 15" speaker. I think the amp would suit me well, looks like a fun one. What's everyone's thoughts?

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    What's not to like!

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd reserve judgement till I'd seen a gut shot and the documentation. These amps are easy to clone, meaning you don't need a whole lot of skill to knock one together. There are quite a few average or even dangerous builds about, along with some really good ones. If it's been done right it should be a killer. If it's been done wrong, it could still be a killer but a different kind. The pictures are not clear but it looks like the cab had been lacquered with the chassis still in place. Red flag time.

Henry and loudnlousy like this.
  4. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yeah I’m aware this is probably one of the most cloned amps. But if it’s legit I think it could be a really cool one. I see that spot that makes you say it could’ve been lacquered with the chassis still in place, but I think that may also be the flash from the camera reflecting off the lacquer. I’d have to see it in person to truly tell.

5. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I actually emailed Chris Fleming through linked in last night asking if it seems authentic or not. I’m not sure whether I should be expecting a response however. :oops:

6. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Looking at the top of the chassis, it looks like a 57 Custom Deluxe. You don't normally see Mic/Inst on a clone.

6124Bassman likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    A 5e3 is a great amp. A universal weapon if it`s done right.
    I do not know whether the badge "made by Chris Fleming" will make it "the superior 5e3" since there is not too much witch-craft involved with building these type of amp.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The 5E3 is a terrific amp if it is built right. The Celestion Alnico Blue should sound sweet in it too. That's an expensive speaker, hopefully an indication of the build quality. Mercury magnetics are excellent transformers too. Uncle Daddy is right though, these amps have been built by a lot of people to varying standards.

reverb11 likes this.
  9. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I have a Cox Ultimate 5e3 with Mercury Magnetics transformers that came with a Celestion Alnico Gold. I am not sure how much influence the MM trannies have, but, the amp plain old kicks ass!

If it's a decent price and the internals look decent... and it sounds good, it is good. No matter who built it.

10. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I'd love to have a nice little deluxe so if everything checks out later on today I will probably end up bringing it home.

Yeah I noticed that it said Instrument channel on that one. I'm interested to open it up and see what kind of components were used. Looks like the '57 custom deluxe used sprague atoms caps, so thats a plus. We'll see what this one turns out to be.

11. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    It's possible for an inexperienced builder to wire the fuse in such a way that it can be live when you unscrew the holder. Always unplug and check before touching a fuse on a home build.

12. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes so far it seems to have been built with quality components. I'm exited to try it out. I'm looking for an amp that will give me nice breakup at reasonable volumes.

13. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK

Spragues are considered a bit overdone by folk in the know. They look good though!

14. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Definitely will take all the normal precautions when looking through it!

15. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I built the EX Tremolux 1/4 power switch into my Deluxe, but changed the values of the resistors to give me 1/10th the output. Sounds like a huge drop, but it equates to around half volume, which still makes a Deluxe too loud for an apartment, so I eventually added a master volume which allows a bit of filth at TV volumes. A Celestion blue isn't gonna help much!

6124Bassman likes this.
  16. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Here's the service diagram for a 57 Custom. It may be useful down the line.

Attached Files:

17. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Love the 5E3. It'll give you that Neil Young distorted sound at will.

Unfortunately, this breakup won't come at a reasonable volume, especially with a "Blue" in it.

This circuit has very little clean headroom, but what it has is just beautiful, and so is the breakup.

Best of luck

6124Bassman likes this.
  18. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Looks like the used old Ajax blue molded caps in the amp along with sprague filters. Looks neatly done. He just sent over these pics

19. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Looks like a well made home brew, rather than a factory job. If it works for you sound wise, and the money is right you could be in for a lot of fun. The bigger cab should open things up nicely. The stock Deluxe is a bit boxy. I occasionally run mine through my 2x10 Super cab, which looks around the same size. When the neighbours are out!

JHowdy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice