Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Chilli, with beans or without?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Uncle Daddy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
  2. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Yep, good movie too

Wulfgang likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mustard, Ketchup, all kinds of things taste good on a good hotdog and yes I have seen how hot dogs are made, been through a plant, I don't care they taste great. Now the best one I have ever had though was in Salem Mass, sown by the tourist traps the little witch tours and such. Dude comes trucking down the street with his hot dog cart, I ate three of them! I have had hot dogs in Chicago as well and these dogs in Salem where the best! Now Portillos, not sure I spelled that right, were good as well but not like these.

Wulfgang likes this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I don't eat aminals anymore. I found a good vegi dog that tastes every bit as good as a hotdog. It's still junk food, mind.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I went the other way, eating keto most times. Hotdogs are a rare treat.

6. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    What region of the US is famous for coleslaw on a dog? The Portland / Seattle music scene is crazy for Reuben dogs w/ bacon, pastrami and 3 cheeses.

7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My wife adds kale to lots of recipe's where it would seem strange, i like it.
    Its much better than getting experimental with, say.......sardines

8. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Being from Texas,I'm not at liberty to voice my actual preference. I can say, however, that chili should NEVER have beans in it. Carroll Shelby said so, and I won't cross him even though he passed 5 years ago.

Wulfgang likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Coleslaw on a dog, don’t know that one, but brown mustard with sauerkraut on a dog is good add peppers even better!

10. Junior94

Junior94 Gretschie

Jul 29, 2017
    Texas
    With beans. That's how the wife makes it. And I don't dare go against the wife. But the stuff in the cans I feel are only good for chili dogs and stuff, not really good by itself.

11. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Love sardines too...and anchovies Mmm!!!

13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I first discovered coleslaw on a dog when I moved to the Carolinas...that is a sin, and should be stopped immediately...gross!!!!

Bertotti and Wulfgang like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ketchup us basically tomato frosting, it's loaded with sugar. I used to regularly gp out for breakfast with 3 friends and each time they would collectively eat more than one bottle of ketchup. Personally, I only use ketchup if what I'm eating is so dry pr bad that I need to mask it.

Not mustard, I love mustard. Got in the habit of eating cheese with mustard in the Netherlands. I like to have a few types around. My favorite is probably dijon, preferably made with white wine vinegar. It is great for cooking as well.

Wulfgang likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have to doctor Canned stuff up but it is quick in a pinch. Hornet is meh edible doctored a bit with onions and Tabasco and jalapeños wolf brand spicy is actually decent and still I doctor it up. Home made my wife makes I sthin but good after I doctor it up a bit.

But this begs another question do you like your chili soup like a thin to runny consistency or thick. I prefer thick but certainly won’t turn down a bowl of the runnier stuff.

16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Oh, thick, for sure.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How about chili and eggs? Just had a big four egg scramble with jalapeños and cheese and of course chili!

Back in the 80’s I was stationed at El Toro and we would hit Fat Freddy’s restaurant kind of a 50’s theme what great breakfast chili meals. The Baja has a bed of hash browns with beans and chili and salsa! And liter margaritas! Major Jarhead fuel! Sadly years later I took some guys there only to find the building converted to a Denny’s, sorry we’re open 24 hours.

Wulfgang likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    In meatloaf?:eek:

larryb likes this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    never tried???

20. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm cooking Chilli Tamarind Prawns for dinner tonight. Raw large King Prawns cooked with long green chillis, tamarind paste, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, onion, garlic, scallions, coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, coriander (cilantro) with steamed Basmati rice, sliced bananas and fruit chutney. I have just the right Pinot Noir to match with this.....

Chilli tamarind prawns.JPG

ponca and Wulfgang like this.