Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Chilli, with beans or without?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Uncle Daddy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've just looked up the history of chilli (slow day at the coalface), where I read that some good folk make this historic British staple without beans. What gives?

BTW, we make ours sin carne, what with Dr Mrs Daddy being a vegan. From Vegus. Where people lean towards the sun for their protein.

2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Beans!! And Venison!! ;)

3. ponca

ponca Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Proper chili con carne has beef cubes and no beans. I consider the dish known as just "chili" to be something completely different. It's good too, but it's not the same thing at all.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What is a good chili without a fallout?

thunder58 likes this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    No beans, no blazing saddles!

6. giffenf

giffenf Gretschie

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If it's going on a hot dog, burger, or (as Japanese-Americans like it), rice, then beans are best eschewed. In a bowl by itself, beans are welcome, along with cheese and onions, but it's a matter of personal preference. Oh, and if you're in Cincinnati, you can serve it on spaghetti and it will be fine, but it's been so long, I don't remember whether it had beans or not.

rich724 likes this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Cincinnati chili:
    • Two-way: spaghetti topped with chili (also called "chili spaghetti")
    • Three-way: spaghetti, chili, and cheese
    • Four-way: spaghetti, chili, cheese, and onions
    • Four-way bean: spaghetti, chili, cheese, and beans (beans substituted for the onions)
    • Five-way: spaghetti, chili, cheese, onions, and beans
    Since chili con carne translates as chili with meat, real Texas style chili con carne is meat no beans, but of course one can make it your own self however you like. I'm a with beans guy.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

What would vegan chili without beans be? A bowl of peppers, onion, garlic and tomato sauce?

This has been my go-to chili recipe for a few years now:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/dragons-breath-chili-recipe-1945276

The source is a little embarrassing, but it's the best chili of that sort I've ever had.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. afire

afire Country Gent

I'd like to make that kind of chili, but I'm afraid I'd be the only one who'd want to eat it. My family wants their chili with beans, ground meat, and not to terribly hot. I would be all for all meat and a lot of heat. This is the recipe I've been eyeing up.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

10. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Said Nathan Hale, “Give me beans, or give me death!”

Or...something like that.

11. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I make it with diced chuck steak and borlotti beans. My chilli is extremely popular with friends and family. A musician friend of mine came over for dinner with her husband, an American chef. I did chilli, he raved about it at the table, had 3 bowls and was still talking about it a week later. I took it as an endorsement.

johnny g likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    British chili??? Proper chili is made without beans. They're added later, just before you eat. Drmilktruck's variants on chilis can be found at Steak and Shake restaurants everywhere. Chili has been a diner staple in the USA forever.

13. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    #1 ... Damn, I thought I cold make it through this lifetime without ever, I mean ever having to hear or think about about Cincinnati spaghetti chili. What ever possessed me to think that this was the perfect after gig grub before driving to Chicago the next day a good idea. Luckily Don Hogle from the New Void took us out to some famous mom& pop ice cream dive in the area to get rid of my massive heartburn lol.

#2 ... I grew up in a German/ Irish household where if your spoon didn't stick up in a bowl of chili it was tossed in the trash or given to the hounds. Rumor had it someone in my family tree got the original Carroll Shelby chili recipe back in the early 70's from a Vietnam hell's angel buddy who followed the jungle Pam drag car/motorcycle scene .

As I can remember there was a good mix of red beans, black beans, pinto , beef and mesa flour, corn, black olives, green & red pepper .. yeah I know .. Then.. Stroh German rum, bourbon, red wine & Hamms beer as I grew up in Minneapolis. Then it was all about the cheese that went on top of it like some fine french souffle. Oh then you couldn't use regular old saltines, it had to be a certain kind of oyster cracker New England style...

Well I remember us kids weren't allowed to ask about the war and to let my uncles make family dinner the way they wanted lol. To this day I still don't make home chili with out using Carroll Shelby's chili kit you can usually find at the store.

ronbo likes this.
  14. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Ah right. I best not do it anymore then. God forbid I should defile an institution. Although it wouldn't be the first time...

wabash slim likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am not a bean fan so I prefer without beans; I'd rather have veggies and meat. I like a mix of lamb and beef. I only made chili myself once with a leftover leg of lamb. It was awesome.

It appears that early chili recipes did not have beans or tomato. Now it's hard to find chili without beans or tomato. Maybe that's why my GAS doesn't sound as good as the GAS I hear in my vinyl collection. ;)

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Rock, the other aspect of all that is---do what you want! Enjoy it!

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Beans, spices, Tabasco, if it doesn’t initiate a cold sweat and colon flush it isn’t made right! Must have meat venison is great as is buffalo beef pork what ever, but not sweet.

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Beans, fresh chillies n cut meat not ground.

19. gimmodog

gimmodog Electromatic

Nov 1, 2017
    Kentucky
    try using Italian sausage for the meat, brings out the flavor