chet atkins fans will love this, it's a must see if not seen already.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Howard hughes, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    it speaks for itself

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Thanks for posting that. Tommy is one of the best players I’ve ever had the privilege to hear play. 15 years ago, I went to one of his clinics, in Oklahoma City. He’s a very fine human, full of joy and the best wishes for his fellow man. There were no printed materials handed out, but I took a lot of information from the hours spent at the clinic. Even more important, I came away very encouraged.

One thing I love about Tommy is his one man band concept. When I listened to Chet as a child (at roughly the same time as Tommy was doing the same thing halfway around the world) it struck me that the guitar was at its best when it was played solo, and Chet was the best of the breed, when it came to that style. Chet left us over 16 years ago, but Tommy is 63, as of this writing, and shows no sign of slowing down. I’ve had the privilege of watching his medley of Chet tunes from the front row and it was as great an experience as I’ve ever had. This guy is the real thing.

Howard hughes, Gregor, cqscqs and 2 others like this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I love how Tommy broke down his one man band concept, and as a drummer, I especially liked what his did with his rhythmic talents.

Howard hughes likes this.
  4. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Tommy is the BEST!!!

5. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for sharing

6. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    It is my belief that we are all created with innate abilities and purpose. When we discover those gifts and operate within them, we realize our potential. Tommy is a man who lives his purpose.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I know that he is adamant about his playing. He has a unique ability to affect people via his playing and he is aware of that. A live album doesn’t convey what happens when Tommy is playing for an audience.

Edit to add: That is not to say that he is an egotist. From the limited times I’ve spoken to him he seems to be full of kindness towards all and a desire to share his gift.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Howard hughes and TSims1 like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Synchro , you couldn't have said it better . Those of you who know that my favorite originization is " Guitars 4 Vets " , Tommy Emanuel is one of the " Ambassadors " for the program as other guitarist are too . Although I'm not a veteran , I believe in the program very much . When I saw Tommy a few years back I thanked him for supporting the program ..... his handshake and the wink in his eye spoke volumes to me . Yea ... he's the real deal

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    You said it well, “he’s the real deal”. I’ve spoken to him on several occasions when I attended one of his concerts on a Saturday night, a clinic the next day and a second concert that night. He was so friendly, so down to earth and so good-hearted that I came away feeling that I’d met a very special person.

Howard hughes and thunder58 like this.
  11. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Big fan of Tommy E.. I think his gift is from God. A true master guitar player.

12. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing that. I need to practice more Chet stuff now. This was a very inspiring video

13. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Great video, thanks for sharing!
    I like how he explained how he does it all and only played parts of many songs..

14. Gregor

Gregor Electromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    Canada
    He's one of a kind. A simple joy to listen to....so unique...and as he admits, was greatly influenced by Chet. I have 2 of his courses and am learning a lot of "boom chick" material from him. If you're new to this style of playing, I highly recommend him as a teacher, preferably in person (if you're lucky enough), but via electronic media otherwise.

15. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    these replies really brought a smile to my face! great stuff thanks a lot. i love the way tommy is full of positivity, as i said before positivity breeds positivity i am a true believer in that now. i just wish i could play that well!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    What is NOT to LOVE about Tommy E? He's the greatest!

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I just added some Tommy instructional material to my Amazon wish list. I have some Chet materials which have been a great source of information and inspiration.