Chernobyl - watch it

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by HypotenusLuvTriangle, Jun 11, 2019.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Just finished up watching HBO's Chernobyl Mini-Series. Do yourself a favor and watch it. If you don't have HBO, figure out a way to watch the show. Its fantastic, well researched, superbly acted, and devastating. The first episode is sad, tense, frustrating, and so true. Also, follow it up with the Podcast that accompanies each episode. The writer/producer talks with Peter Segal and breakdowns the events and explains what in the show was true and what was modified for the dramatic TV series.

reverb11, RomanS, CatTones and 2 others like this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I finished it up last night, excellent miniseries!

pmac11 likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Finished it the night before last, it was awesome.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Oh it is. Horrifying, but good.

RomanS, CatTones and thunder58 like this.
  6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    The entire first episode I was just staring dumbfounded and full of sadness that all these people unwittingly went to their deaths because they had no concept of what was happening. It was the scariest and creepiest horror movie I've seen in years.

7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Finished it the other night. Very well done. I was a Navy and civilian Nuclear Operator and even though I was well versed, still found it shocking. Was poking holes in the middle of the Pacific aboard the USS Salt Lake City, SSN-716 (scrapped about 13 years ago as a result of some SALT II agreement, I believe. Such a waste. Excellent boat with a ton of life left in her) during that accident and shortly afterwards we picked up elevated levels although I don’t recall the numbers.

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    When you're done watching it read Midnight in Chernobyl, the most detailed and accurate book on the accident.

I realize you can't include every detail from a 568 page book into a miniseries (nor would you want to) but the show is more drama based on an actual event than anything else.

I enjoyed the show, don't get me wrong, but it misses so much of what happened. I'll have to watch the Podcast

/My grandfather was born in Kiev, a stone's throw from Pripyat and the reactor.

CatTones and pmac11 like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Real scary stuff! This is about five miles from me but it was shut down years ago due to construction flaws....
    .......what if???? Screenshot_2019-06-11-18-29-27-1.png

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Not scary enough, Chenobyl has seen a tourist boom since this movie came out.

11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Same.. that ash falling to the ground... the firefighter picking up a piece of graphite from the reactor core...horrifying

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    My son told me a vew days before that he watched this series. Since he was born in 1998 he had no idea about the catastrophe. He asked me many things about it and was very interested.
    If a film makes people more aware of things like that it must be a good one.

new6659 likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's a genie we really want to keep in it's bottle. Russia's track record with nuclear reactors hasn't been the best---the K-19 disaster comes to mind. We've got TMI, the Japanese recently had theirs. Gotta be careful, folks. Trouble is, the ones that really need to see this and take it seriously to heart probably won't see it.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

I watched the first episode last night. Very good. But every time the head of the plant was onscreen all I could see was mid 1990s George Harrison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yes, amazing series. I then started an audio book about the whole event. It is the top TV series of all time on IMDB right now and that's saying something when that top series used to be Band of Brothers, Planet Earth, Breaking bad, The Wire and Game of Thrones etc.

16. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Watched the first 3 last night. Really good. Just say no to nukes!

17. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Why shouldn't you buy underpants from Ukraine?..................

...... Because Chernobyl fallout :D

18. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    I thought the show was amazing, Very russian, I have read since that all accounts may not be entirely accurate but who the hell really knows.
    It's funny because where I Live (South Shore of Massachusetts) the Pilgram Nuclear Power Plant just went into official shut down, the decommission will take I believe something like 30 + years, I mean How crazy is that. pulling rods out, cooling them and storing them for years until they are safe -we are all very very lucky something like that didn't happen more than it did. I actually used to Mow the Lawn at the Power Plant, when I worked for a Landscape Company just out of High School (that was worth it right ? $5/hour and had to wear some necklace, get scanned in and scanned out of the property to make sure everything was clean) WTF But really WATCH IT if you can

new6659 and pmac11 like this.
  19. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    If you listen to any of the interviews with the writer/producer Craig Mazin, or the accompanying episodic Podcast with Peter Segal, he outlines all the things that were true, modified to create a 5 episode drama series, and a lot of stuff that he just couldn't put into the show because there was waaaaaay too much info and actual drama to do it all justice. As far as I can tell, its one of the most accurate of television/movie dramas out there. The amount of research he did on top of all the other documentaries that are out there was really extensive.
    The largest fabrication he did was to the last episode's show trial. The "hero" of the story was never there at the trial giving his speech n stuff.

CatTones likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My father in law was an expert involved in the Yucca Mntn nuclear waste depository, working with Nevada to prevent the feds from storing waste there. Who know where all that crap will go.

CatTones likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice