Cheesegrater cure?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Uncle Daddy, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    So I just scored a tidy little Squire Standard Tele, which sounds great by the way. But, it's got those nasty little screws that stick up above the string thingies on the bridge. Would shorter screws be OK, and what size? Or any other cure? Fanks.

Attached Files:

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I thought you meant this.

image-3943845620.jpg

Not sure they make shorter screws. But that would help, you also may be able to cut those down to size

3. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I had a Strat like that -- a real wrist slitter. And trying to cut those little screws down to size wrecked everything I tried. I found some shorter ones but with the wrong thread. In the end I shimmed the neck so the screws needed to go further in.

4. nord'ish

nord'ish Gretschie

Jul 5, 2014
    Minnesota
  5. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
  6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
  7. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    those string thingys are called saddles and those screws are called set screws.

if you go to guitar center and buy a replacement pack they will have 3 sizes in the pack the shorter ones are supposed to go on the 2 E string saddles because with the arch of the fingerboard those saddles should be lower. the tallest in the middle.

I'm not %100 sure the replacements would fit the squire though and you would have to get 2 or 3 packs if you want them all to be shorter ones.

check first to see that your saddles dont already have 2 or 3 sizes of screws (most do) and maybe 2 of the saddles just got switched around when somebody took them off they put them back on in the wrong spot.

if you end up filing them, and this is obvious but worth mentioning, file off the bottoms of them not the tops so you can still use the tiny allen wrench for adjusting them

go the the fender website below and at the bottom click load more about 5 times
    after that you will see about 10 different sets of set screws all less than $10 (most are $6.99)
    http://www.fender.com/parts/electric-guitar/bridges/

http://www.stratcat.biz/hardware-screws-saddle-height.shtml

8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Looks like an M3 grub screw. Got some on order. Thanks, tooly monde!

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  10. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Gives new meaning to "shredder guitar."

11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    They will be standard (metric or imperial) set screws, no magic. Different lengths will be available. Suggest you contact an industrial or machine shop supplier. I think the biggest problem you'll encounter is meeting the minimum order requirement.

Fender should be willing to give you the details of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice