Cheaper Gretsch Models With HiLo'trons?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by btek62, Sep 11, 2019.

1. btek62

btek62 Newbie

Sep 11, 2019
    Michigan
    Hi all, I joined the Gretsch army earlier this year with a Vintage Select Country Gentleman, which has proved itself to be a true heirloom guitar. As a Beatles fan the next step is obviously a Tennessean, but I'm not really looking to spend that kind of money. I was a bit surprised to see that no guitars in the Streamliner or Electromatic ranges that are currently in production have HiLo'trons, or even a generic version of them that I could make do with until being able to buy them separately to get the single coil tone of a tennessean.

My question is if there was ever a run of cheaper (less than $1000 on the used market) Gretsch guitars that had HiLo'Trons stock on them that I could specifically look for on Reverb of Craigslist. I've done some research, but haven't found anything so far aside from super expensive ones like the vintage select Tennessean.

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome to GT!

The Electromatic 5622 had Super Hilo’trons (a dual coil hilo’tron).
    According to a recent thread here, I guess Gretsch are no longer using them.

You could find one used on reverb I’m sure.

dmunson and section2 like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Not current production. Hilotrons were budget when they first came out, but they are only on prolines now and as far as I know, equivalently priced to HS filtertrons.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I put TV-HTs (TV Jones Hilotrons) in my G5420T and I won’t be taking them out, love the sound. Find an older walnut G5120/G5122 for a similar look and install some Hilos. If color doesn’t matter as much, I’d go G5420/G5422 in a heartbeat.

68FF38EF-472E-442C-9042-92B0CBE21250.jpeg

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The Clipper was a single pickup true hollow body with HiLos, made from the late 50s to early 70s. They are inexpensive on the vintage market, not much more than their newer counterparts.

[​IMG]

ZackyDog, section2 and wildeman like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'll second Caleb's suggestion: look into the recent 5622s with SuperHilotrons. They're twin-coil pickups tuned to sound more like single-coils. I have one in my 5620, and it sounds delicious: crisp, responsive and articulate, with lots of definition.

@BorderRadio also gave you good advice. I've never played a TV-HT, but you can't go wrong with TV Jones pickups.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. btek62

btek62 Newbie

Sep 11, 2019
    Michigan
    A lot of very helpful advice here. Thank you.

section2 likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Looks like wildeman found one for under $1000. I would not call more than modern (expensive) guitars inexpensive!

10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since the vintage ones fit into every filtertron space you can swap them easily.
    Getting some vintage hilos secondhand for a decent ammount of money should be easy.
    They are characterful and great sounding pickups. Go ahead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice