Changing pots and wiring harness on G5420T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Sean McILwaine, Jan 13, 2013.

1. OldTwanger64

OldTwanger64 Electromatic

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    Gretsch G5445TG 02.JPG

MTurner and JCarno like this.
  2. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    WOW!!! That looks great!! I'm interested in how you make out with the CTS pots. I want to change mine out but every time I look into the control cavity I get scared. I can't make heads or tails of the wiring. It looks like a rats nest in there. I have many Gibson SG s that I replaced the harness in and it was a breeze.
    I also want to eliminate the "master" volume.

3. OldTwanger64

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    I'm going to wire it up 'Setzer-Custom'-style:
    (2) pickups to 3-way Switch, then to (1) 500K Volume Pot, then straight to the Output-Jack.

I have really NEVER used the Tone pot on any guitar for my 38 years of playing. Plus, I can always wire up the Tone pots if I feel like it later. The other 3 pots are just there to hold the set-screw knobs, since it originally had split-shaft China pots...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. OldTwanger64

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    I also 'PhotoShop'-ped the (2) screw holes out of the picture left over from removing the B-50 vibrato... lol

Will plug with hardwood dowel later & touch-up

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. OldTwanger64

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    That's how I'm planning on wiring it...

6. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    Ok. That looks simple enough. Another thing that's holding me back is how I'm going to fish the wires through the body.
    How are you going to do it?

7. OldTwanger64

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    I used to run telephone/data wires in large buildings. You use a thin, sturdy 'pull-string' that is twisted & taped to your old wires, so as you pull each old wire out, it pulls a sturdy pull-string IN.

Then, you do the same with the new wiring. When you pull the pull-string OUT, it pulls the new wire IN. Use a bit of extra string and extra new wire to give yourself a comfortable margin to work with. No prob.

JCarno likes this.
  8. OldTwanger64

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    I used pull-strings instead of the 'rubber-tubing' shown in the TV Jones video when I changed-out my pickups in my G5120. GOOD video though, to show folks the pickup change-out procedure.

Just don't have a splice come apart during a 'pull'. I speak from experience- lol

JCarno likes this.
  9. OldTwanger64

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    The best way is to fashion one of the wire-ends into a little 'hook' and then make a string 'loop' into a slip-knot. Hook the 2 ends together, twisting each one tight until there's no loose 'play'. Then tape the junction up & you're good to go.

They don't come apart unless you skimp on wire, or you don't twist it down tight enough, or your string's 'slip-knot' comes undone...

JCarno likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice