Changing pickups on a Gretsch G6137TCB Panther (Central Block), opinions?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by John Blund, Oct 7, 2018.

1. John Blund

John Blund Electromatic

Dec 11, 2011
    Sweden
    Hi,
    I have a Gretsch G6137TCB Panther and am curious of replacing the pickups. The guitar is semi-hollow and I prefer playing clean. I am more interested in a ”full clean sound” rather than a perfect distorsion sound, but also keep the guitar sounding like with the original installed pickups (two High Sensitive FilterTrons that sound great!). I wonder if anyone of you out there have tried installing TV Jones (Classics?) on this guitar and would love to hear about your experiences.
    The reason for my questions is that I some years ago replaced the original pickups on a 2005 White Falcon 6136T with great result, and that is why I started to search for alternatives for this guitar too. The falcon sounded good before aswell, but many of you guys out there have been talking about how great TV Jones sounded that I wanted to give it a try at that time.

Best regards John

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The TV Classic neck and the HS Filtertron neck sound alike to me. The TV Classic bridge is more trebly and has less mid-range than the HS Filtertron bridge. I prefer the HS Filtertrons; they sound like 50s/60sw Filtertrons. I use two (2) neck pickups in both the bridge and neck positions on my G6122-1962 (see my signature block).

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    What do you hope to gain?

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    A Pather doesn‘t need better pickups, but better strings and especially a better bridge ... brass highly recommended!

I have a (chromed brass) ABM 2400 that hugely added bass response and sustain and I play it with Thomastik Jazz Swing ... what a woody clean bass and nice overtones ;)

If you prefer more twang, try Gibson Brite Wires instead of flatwounds. But flats allow much lower action ;)

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My Panther has TV Jones Brian Setzer Sigs installed. I stole the idea from forum member Nick Urso after he installed them in his Panther. I'm very happy with mine.
    6137TCB mods 001.JPG 6137TCB mods 008.JPG

6. John Blund

John Blund Electromatic

Dec 11, 2011
    Sweden
    Thank you for all respones. I'm not sure what I want to gain to be honest...just getting "the best possible" out of the machine. It sounds on you ZackyDog that the stock HS Filtertrons are good as they are, so maybe I will go with what Aymara suggested to get the extra sustain.
    Your wonderful red Panther looks great audept! Love this color. I was in contact with TV Jones, and they suggested the "Ray Butts Ful-Fidelity Filter’trons" as a good option too (I believe they were manufactured with the vintage spec of the Filtertrons in mind).

Thanks everybody!

audept likes this.
  7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I highly recommend starting with a better bridge ... the stock bridge is pure crap. If you are lucky and it doesn‘t rattle, it‘s nevertheless a huge tone killer.

I was totally astonished, how much the ABM 2400 improved tone, not only sustain. The brass bridge adds exactly the bass response, that was missing due to centerblock and small body depth compared to the big single cut models.

Next thing I recommend is experimenting with strings choice ... for my taste the Thomastik Jazz Swing added a woody tone, that was more than just the dot on the i ;)

This Panther is for sure my best sounding Gretsch, no matter if clean or overdriven ... and again ... with stock pickups ;)