Celestion "Ruby" 35-watt alnico speaker

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by ZackyDog, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    [​IMG]

I've used the Celestion Blue alnico (15 watts) for decades for my sound. Celestion also makes the Gold (12" version is 50 watts) and the Cream (90 watts) alnico speakers. I used the 10" Gold (40 watts) in an amp and it sounded really good; very similar to the legendary Blue.

I bet the Ruby alnico is great too. More information is here.

blueruins, Ricochet and Gretschtim1 like this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Looking forward to trying this. The wattage range is just right for a lot of amps. Like you, I really like the Celestion Gold 10" and have a pair of them in my Matchless Lightning.

Any idea on price point?

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Probably $275. Avatar usually has the best deal, especially when you check out using their coupon.

4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I love the Celestion Alnico Blue & Silver speakers. I have them in all my low watt amps except my Ampeg Gemini I which has the original Jensen speaker from 1965.
    I'd love to hear the Ruby in action. Too bad but no shops around here have any of them. I guess I'll have to buy one to try it out or maybe ZackyDog can and report back...:D.

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    From another forum:

I've heard 8 of these in action the other week. John Jorgenson is depping with Elton John at the moment. He's got a stereo rig going on with two 4x12 cabs full of these. Sounds good to me.

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I think it would be perfect in the single speaker, VOX AC30S1:

[​IMG]
    Ruby Spread.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    G5422T likes this.
  7. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    My disappointment is that in the spec sheets, the Gold, Cream and Ruby all weigh the exact same. Otherwise I'd already have the Ruby in and my Gold out of my Tremolux already. It's a wonderful amp but a bit of a beast to carry thanks in considerable part to the weight of its Celestion.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    To me, it's worth the extra weight and essential to getting the best sound from my amp.

@Ricochet

Please don't call me, Ruby. ;) :D

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Don’t flatter yourself Blondie!

ZackyDog likes this.
  10. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    That's cool.

I only stated that there is already the Gold and Cream for that extra weight that is essential to some, and was musing that it would be nice if a lower wattage handling model had a bit lower weight.

In my specific case I can't get the best sound from my amp as I am not sure how to bring it safely down the ladder from my attic--so I can't even turn it on. (Ditto my 1960 Super with 10'' Golds.) Which is why it has sat in the attic for 2 years and counting! Nothing wrong with having a dream of something approaching that sound that's not as heavy.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The " speaker " , probably the most important component in an amp ( that we take for granted too )

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Alnico isn‘t the best choice in any case. Concerning Fenderamps I‘ve found Alnicos are superb in Tweedamps and Ceramics in Black-/Brown- and Silverfaces.

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Maybe running the amp to a separate speaker cabinet is the solution?

It sounds like a nice amp; I hope you manage to retrieve it. It may be a 2-person job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice